Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-18-2023, 03:46 AM

Default Valve Cover Spreader Bars

G'Day Guys,
I know Pontiac engines don't have these as standard fitment but is there anywhere I can buy Valve Cover Spreader Bars that will fit our covers/engines? I have some Chevy ones but they are the wrong shape in the hole area and don't fit. I think they are a good idea as I am struggling with oil weeping over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 5.39.57 pm.png
Views:	44
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	616271  

Old 07-18-2023, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had good luck doing this .... first I hammer the bolt holes flat to get rid of the stretch from years of over tightened bolts ... then find flanged bolts that fit the recess in the cover as tight as possible while still being able to turn them.

What this does is draw down the cover by it's vertical wall, not by the horizontal flange. The vertical wall is very, very strong, but the cover flange and hole bend down very easy .. so the key is to use a flange head bolt to shift as much "draw down" as close to the vertical wall of the cover as possible. The recessed area in the cover where the bolts go in is very strong if it can be drawn straight down, and not pulled down by the flimsy cover flange. Washer won't do the same because they will just cock to match the cover flange as it bends.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with the spreaders, better than nothing, but they seem to "spring" pretty easy. Always wanted to machine up a set myself, tall enough to have some real strength, I think that would work well .... or maybe even a one piece spreader that goes from one bolt all the way to the other, about a 3/4" thickness would do nice.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago I did the straightening of the valve cover. Then somehow I noticed those bars for Corvairs so I ordered some. redrilled the hole larger and used a longer flanged bolt. They have worked. I put the rounded part of the bar down against cover.I too had the 'leakage' over time.

Last edited by sdbob; 07-18-2023 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Spelling.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I stopped using bolts on all my valve covers and switched to studs. Easier to get the whole thing in place and aligned without fighting it. Havent leaked on my 400 since.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOAT View Post
G'Day Guys,
I know Pontiac engines don't have these as standard fitment but is there anywhere I can buy Valve Cover Spreader Bars that will fit our covers/engines? I have some Chevy ones but they are the wrong shape in the hole area and don't fit. I think they are a good idea as I am struggling with oil weeping over time.
Moroso has the correct reinforcement bars and they work really great. I am just using one on my engine now. The right rear valve cover had a pesky little leak I just could not stop. The single bar took care of it. I am running the super flimsy early 62 factory painted covers. Only small issue is the Moroso load spreaders are chrome and very hard to remove. I spent considerable time sanding them down for paint.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

those bars will work but interfear with the bend radius of the valve cover lip
a quick few miniutes on a bench grinder and they will fit
they will bend and flex themselves but do help spreading the load just dont expect miracles and you need to start out with a flat valve cover to start with

i have them on bottom of one set of valve covers

Old 07-18-2023, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PAW used to sell thick spreaders with a stud kit and T bar handles. I have a set and used them for years.
Not sure if you can find them anymore.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought some off of Summit or Jegs I forget and they specifically said 'Pontiac' application and the bolt hole was too small. I had to go to a machine shop to drill out the hole; the steel is spring steel and very very hard. Ended up costing over $60 and time. But they do work.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:29 PM

I love them. They keep my valve covers from leaking, though admittedly I put my original valve cover flanges in a vice to bend them straight again first.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Moroso part number is 68530. Other than chrome removal for paint, I do not recall any other modifications needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: