Old 05-17-2022, 06:56 PM

Default Remote Mirror Issue

Bought new remote sort mirrors from the parts place. Says they’re for my car. But, this isn’t going to work. Im lost. It’s a factory, unmolested door. The mirror is mounted flush. Is it stem angle? Is there a different base I need? Of course nobody test fitted them before painting. That would make too much sense! Help….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-17-2022, 06:58 PM

Maybe I was suppose to just slide it down the door till it sits level and just hang it there with some self tappers. SMDH.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70's used chrome mirrors and are located in a different position on the door. yes, 70-72 doors look the same but mirror placement for the body tear drop mirrors are different on a 71/72 door since your car appears to be in paint, you're stuck right now. 70 position is further forward than a 71/72

I can go snap a picture of where the body style mirror mounts on my 71
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	591054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2576.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	591055  

The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 05:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You bring back many memories of trying to get some 70"s sport mirrors on my 67 GTO, because I always liked the look and because I wanted to have turn signal LED's in their glass.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=624572

Tried multiple base legs to see if any came close???? NADA.

This necessitated changing the angle of the base support leg and presented some careful grinding of the bottom of the base to match the door contour. Then had to create an angled washer/spacer for the inside to let it all fit and lock down with being tight enough.

It were fun.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3978.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	591067  

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 05-18-2022 at 05:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Think I read something about the plastic base having one side thicker than the other, and needing to put the thicker side near the top of the door to get best angle.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 07:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is it possible that the mirrors are really for an F body? That mounts them at a different angle. You can see it on my 70
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	94C66E2D-BE79-4938-84C1-58522C8F1099.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	591073  

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you guys need to do some searches, this has been documented many times. I'll see if I can find them and link some threads. 1970 remote used the chrome 69 mirror. the stalk is longer and mounts at a different angle. the holes are different on the doors to mount the body mirrors. You'll also have an issue putting the control cable in the door panel because the joystick control is different between the 69/70 oval mount on the door panel that used a nut to hold the control on vs the 71/72 with the square mount that had a clip that held it in from the back side.

65gp's picture also shows that the mirror is in the wrong location, mounted in the original 70 holes but the 71 mirrors mounted back further because the there was no stalk so it mounted further back so the mirror glass sat in the same location relative to the viewing angle.

well, I just "did some searches" and I can't ever find squat with the search function! then I crawled through all 66 pages of my past threads and nothing jumped out at me so I'm not suggesting searches anymore! Anyways, I think the old door I've got sitting behind my garage is the 70 door I had to plug the holes and redrill for my 71 sport mirrors so I could grind the paint and see what still shows from the original mirror holes compared to sport mirror placement from 71/72. the pics i took of the current door is an actual 71 door that's on the car (door #3) on my ride since new. it's had a hard life.

On the F body thing, I want to say that they were close to the same and it was the angle of the plastic gasket that changed between the body types to level them out. It was always a thing back in the junk yarding days to nab a set of mirrors off the plentiful F bodies in the yard for your A body.

Last edited by gto4evr; 05-18-2022 at 08:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Is it possible that the mirrors are really for an F body? That mounts them at a different angle. You can see it on my 70
The box mine came in clearly said they were for F bodies. They are resold by others as fitting 71-72 A body but I suspect not correctly.

I have a set but have not installed yet.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 10:42 PM

Well this site will only rarely let me add a photo so I can’t show y’all anything. Suffice it to say it’s in the angle of the bracket. Basically I took and bent the mounting bracket to the “correct” position abs now the mirror sits dead level to the horizon.
I did notice in my research that my mirrors came with a black pot metal bracket. Inline Tube sells a stand alone gold cad bracket that that they say is “correct”. Their EBay store has sold 137 of these stand alone brackets.
I bet $ we now know why. Wish I could show y’all a picture. She’s really coming together nicely and I think we’ve really got something special happening here. Thank you all for being there. This site and it’s people are a true blessing to the hobby.

The Following User Says Thank You to TxSportCoupe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We can help you learn how to post pictures.
PM me your phone number and I'll call you and walk you through it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSportCoupe View Post

Bought new remote sort mirrors from the parts place. Says they’re for my car. But, this isn’t going to work. Im lost. It’s a factory, unmolested door. The mirror is mounted flush. Is it stem angle? Is there a different base I need? Of course nobody test fitted them before painting. That would make too much sense! Help….

You´ve got the F.body mirrors. A-body mirrors have a different base.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 05-20-2022, 03:30 AM
Suspended

Completely different mirror head size and shape too, not just the base. Even mirror glass is a fraction larger and different shape on these models to F-body. The one occasion where they could have used the same part or been far more different. Although that issue still exists even on F-bodies due to incorrect gaskets used and reproduction parts claiming to cover all bases which were not even the same to start with. The original gaskets had a taper and a locating pin. If you found a couple you could flip them over and remove the pin. Or flip over the existing gasket, already looks bottom heavy affecting the angle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 10:19 AM
Senior Chief

I found these pictures on the web and saved as I did the same on my 70 lemans. They can be used for reference only measure twice cut once!. I did add a reinforcement piece on my passenger door along with rivnuts for the mounting of the mirror. I used Body panel adhesive for the reinforcement piece so I did not have to weld it in. and cause other issues.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sport mirror location.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	591183   Click image for larger version

Name:	sport mirror locations.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	591184  

The Following User Says Thank You to Paul E For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 12:10 AM

Finally got it to let me post a picture. I got the mirrors set. Basically just twisted the inner bracket until they were oriented correctly.