The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-28-2022, 08:19 AM

Default 1975-81 toe board and floor pans

In December 2021 I picked up a 10th anniversary Z code T/A. From everything I've found so far, it had been parked since 1988. It's missing the engine, trans and most interior plastics but overall it is virtually rust and dent free. Once the weather started cooperating I tore into it and found rust in both toe boards and the first few inches of the floor pans on both sides. This will never be a trailer queen show car, but I did want a factory look. I opted for the separate toe boards and floor pans so I could have the factory overlap. Here's my experience so far.

Both toe boards and passenger side floor are Goldenstar parts. Slightly thinner gauge than some other offerings but seem to be stamped well and priced very competitively. I did have to massage the area at the body mount and frame to get it to fit just right but overall it was right on. The floor pan was a full piece going to the rear. I only used to the front brace area. This also lined up and fit well.

When I ordered these parts the driver side floor pan was out of stock so I ordered a Sherman piece. The shortest I could find as I only needed a few inches. This is where my weekend plans came to a screeching halt. The Sherman is complete junk as far as this car and this particular piece is concerned. The raised bead at the front edge is huge and over pronounced when compared to factory and the GS piece. It wasn't placed in the die correctly so the stamping is off at the overlap area. As you get closer to the door it has almost zero overlap. The drop down where it welds to the rocker panel is also pretty short. The Sherman seems to be a slightly heavier gauge, but that does absolutely no good if it's a poor fitting stamping.

I generally try not to mix manufacturer parts. However, this thing doesn't remotely fit even if it were the only piece I was replacing. I know that different brands do better on different parts. I'd suggest staying away from the Sherman partial pans after my experience. I just thought I'd pass this on to anyone else preparing to do the same project.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good information. PM sent