Old 05-27-2022, 08:05 PM

Default Ceramic polish

I've been experimenting with some of the new ceramic sealants and polishes on various surfaces. Got me wondering how do these new products affect paint prep? Does wax and grease remover work on these? Are there any other steps required for paint prep?

Old 05-27-2022, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My understanding is the high quality ones are very difficult to remove. Makes paint work difficult.

My personal opinion is if you use a quality clear then ceramic products are not necessary.

Don

Old 05-28-2022, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been looking at this stuff as well. I dont think the clear coat regardless of quality makes any difference. My understanding is that the ceramic is for lack of better wording a modified form of a wax/sealant. I think even with a good paint job, bc/cc you still need a good coat of wax to keep the car looking good. Or maybe all of those hours I have been doing that have been wasted.

I have talked to guys that have done it and they love it and their cars look fantastic. In my area a pro job will run you about $1k which is out of my car wash budget at this time. I have looked into the diy stuff but it seems like a lot of work.

What kind of paint prep are you concerned about? The ceramic should go on a surface that has a good paint job. If you are thinking about repaint over the years the stuff only last so long.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:55 AM

If repainting does the normal procedure work or are additional steps required ?

Old 05-29-2022, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 326HO-Lemans View Post
If repainting does the normal procedure work or are additional steps required ?
I think it makes it difficult to do a blend. It doesn’t come off easily…

But clearly there are folks a lot smarter than me here…

Don