Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2022, 04:07 PM

Default Reproduction console problems 70-81 Firebird & Camaro

Has anyone else had problems with the shifter hole size of aftermarket center consoles? I bought an OER center console from Summit. The hole for the automatic shifter is 3/8” too narrow and ¼” too long. My B&M Mega Shifter plate does not fit and neither does a factory shift plate. Grinding it narrower will not help that it is too short and this is a very high dollar show/race/street car. I could make a new shift plate for my B&M, but the last chrome shop in Edmonton went out of business and there are none in my province. Plus, in Canada, chrome shops charge $200 to chrome something that small. Summit says that I can return it for an exchange which is over $200 to ship from Alberta to the return warehouse in western Canada and even more to send to the USA. Couriers and Canada Post charge 4 times as much to ship to the USA or within Canada, as the USA pays for shipping to Canada or within the USA.

I personally know David the owner of David T Camaro and Firebird. He says that all of the aftermarket consoles are like this. Goodmark gets the same ones as OER in China. That they have known about the problem for over a decade, but refuse to retool to make it correctly.

My Street Warrior 3900 lbs and it has run 9's on pump gas and 8.73 on NOS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtrhuhZ4Xo&t=9s