The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-06-2022, 11:30 PM

Sorry(?) to bring this long-dormant thread back to life after a bazillion years, but as the owner of two of the actual screen-used GTOs from 'xXx' I am STILL regularly asked that exact same question.

Yes, the late Eddie Paul did paint the cars at his shop in El Segundo, CA in late 2001. The color chosen for the GTO by the film's director, Rob Cohen, was based on an early protoype paint swatch called Indigo Blasberry Prizm by (Dupont) ChromaLusion. I understand that House of Kolor also makes a near-identical formula of this color-shifting (pigment interference) paint, but with a different name, of course.

Yes, that paint was/is super expensive stuff, but considered quite revolutionary for the time. It is believed that the xXx GTO was the first ever car to feature that paint in a movie.

By the way, Dupont is now known by the name Axalta...

I am happy to provide anyone with whatever other details fans might seek regarding the cars built for the movie. Check out my website: www.xXxgto.com

If you're into the social media thing, follow my Instagram feed: #triple_x_gto

If you're into Jay Leno, you can also view the Jay Leno's Garage episode which features my '67 GTO xXx Flame Car (yes, it is a real Code 242 GTO, not a LeMans clone) by doing a YouTube search for "Jay Leno xXx GTO"

(formerly owner of...) '78 Pontiac Grand Am CA #2 (the second of two concept cars built by Pontiac Engineering, as featured in HOT ROD magazine 1978 & '79.)

Currently:
1970 GTO HT... 400/400
1971 GTO Conv... 400/M-22
and
1967 GTO roofless... 400/400 = "xXx GTO Flame Car"
1967 LeMans roofless (GTO Clone)... SBC & THM350 = "xXx Stunt Car #2"
(Both screen-used in Vin Diesel's 'xXx'.)

See the xXx GTO Flame Car on Jay Leno's Garage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm7haa-UIFA