The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-09-2022, 04:20 PM
Senior Chief

Could you post a picture of the manufacturer's logo if possible.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem with the seller at all, it was Auto City Classics ... they immediately sent out a new windshield pretty much no questions asked. I was very happy with their response. When I called they checked the tracking while I was on the phone .. and said yep, delivered 30 minutes ago, you did the right thing, we'll send you a new one out.

I said .... so that's it, he said yep. You want me to send the old one back ... nope. Didn't ask for pictures or anything (which I took).

I worry though that if it's broken in transit again, they might not be as understanding even though I would have nothing to do with it.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:08 AM

I did a full replacement of all glass on my ‘79 SE W72 Y84 4-speed car. Auto City date coded with correct logo. No issues on shipping. Great service and competitive pricing, if you seek it. Pic of logo and coding for the windshield, as shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88070595-99FB-4123-B2B9-EBE964A12611.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	592551  

The Following User Says Thank You to Brock1030 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2022, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in NH View Post
Could you post a picture of the manufacturer's logo if possible.
Sorry Rob ... I didn't realize you meant the logo on the glass. I thought you meant the company logo.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I wanted to replace the rear window in my 70 gto i looked online to find crazy shipping costs. Also some people were saying there was big differences in glass quality. From research I ended up getting through my local glass company a pilkington classic which was supposed to be the best quality out there. Pilkington actually sells 2 lines on glass i guess. And there was no shipping costs,,,saved a bunch from ordering online. Summit carried the rear window i wanted but shipping added close to 150 if i remember right. I guess some of the cheaper glass can look quite distorted when you look through it.

And for the real fussy people they will add date codes that you want for a extra cost.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Replacement glass got here today ... luckily the wife and I were sitting on the porch when FedEx pulled up ... I ran up to the truck just as he was dragging it out of the truck and had let the far end drop from the deck down to the bumper and was about to let it drop to the ground.
I don't think English was his first language ... I said .. Let me give you a hand with that and grabbed the end hanging out of the truck ... he just stepped aside and watched ... I motioned for him to grab the end still on the truck and we carried it to the porch. I asked him to wait for me to open it up and look at it .... he walked back to his truck and stood next to it and watched ... really strange. Saturday delivery guys don't seem to be the cream of the crop.

Glass looks plenty clear and optically good. But I was disappointed it was made in China, and really thin. OEM was 0.285" .. this one is 0.188. I'd imagine the smallest impact is going to crack it. So PPG or none of the US makers produce glass for our vehicles anymore?

It's fits and is sitting the frame right now ... so I guess the drama is over unless I break it

Old 06-12-2022, 06:22 AM
Senior Chief

I figured that it was going to be from china.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob in NH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The next time I need one replaced the car will be one the road, so it will be a no brainer to just take it somewhere and have it done. Maybe the big outfits use a different glass, I have no idea.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yay! Glad you got it in one piece. Shame about the driver. We typically have the same fed ex/ups drivers and they do a great job. I ordered a new wheel for my pickup and like you, I just happened to be home and ran out to stop him before he got too far into the lane. He was too quick and backed right up to the garage, my door was open and he put the wheel inside.

As for the glass, there was a guy on another forum that did a LOT of research into replacement glass. It seems there are a couple of factory's in China that make most of it. There is a code that tells what factory it comes from. Some side glass is made better than others with the curvature.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could not find a factory tinted side glass for mine and finally broke down and bought a new one. It looks a lot better than the weld splattered original but when you look at it from the right angle you can see a slight wavyness right at the top edge where it meets the weather strip. Looks almost like when you cut a piece of aluminum flashing with a pair of tin snips....if you can picture that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know what you mean. I know a guy that refused literally dozens of side glass windows before he found a set that were good enough to use.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I could not find a factory tinted side glass for mine and finally broke down and bought a new one. It looks a lot better than the weld splattered original but when you look at it from the right angle you can see a slight wavyness right at the top edge where it meets the weather strip. Looks almost like when you cut a piece of aluminum flashing with a pair of tin snips....if you can picture that.
Couple of years ago I switched my 70 to all softray glass. Went pilkington classic(mexico?) for windshield and back window and OEM used glass from people here on PY. Most of the side windows I got were in better shape than my original clear glass. I believe i did find some nos oem glass but it was after the fact.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was surprised that l couldn't find a side glass. Figured l'd have my choice of several but couldn't come up with a single one.