The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Default wiper arm removel?

For some odd reason I cannot remember the trick to getting the arms off a 65 bonnie to do windshield and paint.

What is the trick to getting the arms off the shafts to remove the cowl?

Thanks all.

Bil

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There may be tricks for removing them, but I'm not sure what they are. I have a tool designed for removing them. Probably a KD tool. Has rubber coated jaws and looks somewhat like a pair of pliers except it spreads the jaws apart when you squeeze the handles.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Chief

There should be a small tab on the wiper arm. Lift it gently with a small screwdriver and pull on the arm at the base. It should come off.

Johnny
Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Without the tool like Joel talks about, put a towel over the paint job before. You will lose your grip on it.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sometimes with the tab pushed in, you will also need to press downwards/sideways towards the locking tab on the arm's base to allow the locking ring to clear the groove. sounds self defeating in a way, but if the base gets cocked a bit sideways as you try to pull it off, the ring inside will catch the groove. be careful not to skewer your palm.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a towel down like OG67 says but I also use a small piece of wood about a inch thick so I can pry the tab up to unlock it with a screwdriver. Be very very careful and go easy. Then you should be able to pull the arm off. You might need to pry from one side to the other on the arm base just a bit to get it started to come off.

Best way tho is to use the wiper arm removal tool. I'm pretty sure the Paddock has them in their catalog. I've not seen the tool in PY's, OPG's or Ames' catalog. But I know I've seen it in a GTO parts catalog. NAPA might have them too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Small screw driver to release locking tab. Then place a towel down on panel and use a brad hammer claws to lift wiper arm off spindle.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 AM

I saw the locking tab on the ideler part of arm and got that realeased. Is this other tab up inside the chrome? I thought there should be one up in there but have not found it.

Need to stop at parts store today so will see if they gots the tool.

Thanks
Bill

Old 04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No Bill, there's only the one tab locking the arm on. Here's a photo showing the under side of the arm and tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Arm 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	164754  

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Default Wiper arm removal

When you finally get them off be sure to coat the transmission spuds with a little grease. They have a habit of getting some corrosion in there making them a bear to remove,

Brad Kline

Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Got em off, used a door trim tool and block of wood.

As I thought got lots of rust where cowl and windshield trim came together. When I pull windshield to replace it will por 15 the area and/or weld some more steel into the area.

Thanks all for help. The pic was a great help.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Senior Chief

Snap On has a tool for this, About 15 bucks... Works great, No wood, towels etc,etc....

Old 07-03-2022, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Researched this removal process for knurled Trico wiper arms long enough.

Some things that I’ve learned and observed.

1. You need one tool (Lisle 65750) to hook under the arm to cancel the spring tension. Regardless. This is also used for install. No fighting the spring while trying to align the arm on the stud. Which will result in damaging the knurls on the stud due to high lateral force. It can go on plumb and easy.

2. Some people don’t know there’s a small spring retainer that needs to be released. (Not found on all designs) Depending on the year it’s located under the hinge as shown above or at the end of the arm. This is easier with the latter design. Still not sure what the proper tool was for the under hinge design…not a screwdriver. A heavy steel wire could be bent into a U shape then flatten the tip to release the clip while pulling straight up away from the arm.

3. The reverse pliers similar to(AES Industries 8525 Wiper Arm Pliers) that pry the arm off straight off the stud are needed more so if the parts are stuck. Still need to remove the spring tension with that tool mentioned in #1. This takes all the lateral forces off the stud and removes the spring energy that could cause a wiper arm to fly off and skid across the hood. These pliers also have a small dog on the top that appears to be able to contact the retaining clip. Could it be used for either clip location? Doesn’t seem long enough to engage the clip for all designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk