Old 07-04-2022, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Default Help with Lug nuts and studs

The studs are 7/16". They're pretty long. To install the Cragars, I'm wondering if there's a deep well socket long enough to fit over the stud.

Can I cut the studs down? Maybe it would be easier to cut them down just enough so that they work with both sets of rims in the back, rather than change the studs. Fronts don't need to be that long.

I don't know if they're press on or screw on. I assume I can only tell by pulling the discs and drums.

I just read a bit more about why use long studs with shank lugs on this site.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what year of car is this? how long are the studs, did you or a prev owner add longer studs for some reason? if its not a high HP or auto-x race car, there is no need for longer or bigger wheel studs & shank lugs nuts, the factory didnt use them.

most/all wheel studs on classic pontiacs are pressed in, can you post a pic of what they are?

yes a standard deep well socket should fit over any slightly longer stud, if they are longer than a deep socket (2-3") then whoever added them had no idea what they were doing, no reason for that long of a stud.