Old 07-30-2021, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pavilions Saturday Summer Car show in Scottsdale Az.

Has anyone here been going to the morning car show at the Pavilions? I'm planning on going tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

1967 Bonneville Brougham 2 dr. hardtop. 1969 AMC Rebel SST wagon-sold
Old 07-30-2021, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope. Not interested in driving that far for a limited time slot, and limited to 75 cars, plus you have to pre-register. They've turned it into a cars and coffee thing that doesn't interest me in the least. Gotta be gone by noon. Not even close to what it once was.

Cruisin' is for the evenings. 67th and Bell is a much better cruise now.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-30-2021, 11:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just made a call to the manager of the car show. I was told now there is no limit to the amount cars at the show .Cars have been showing by 6am. First come, first to get a parking spot. Has been a big turn out, except for last Saturday's rain. Hope no rain tomorrow! Have to get the 2+2 out and blow out the spider webs.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not trying to rain on your parade.

I hope you talked to Cynthia. She's the one running the show and whom I've been in direct contact with. The time slot is supposed to be from 8am to noon with a 75 car limit. If you were told 1st to show gets a parking spot that tells me the limit may still be in place, 1st come first serve, until they reach 75 cars and just the pre-registration deal has been lifted.
The way Cynthia explained it to me is that they were having trouble getting insurance for this deal now. Apparently they let the insurance lapse for some odd reason since they used to draw 500 cars on a Saturday night for 25 years and that was never a problem before.
Since it's on Indian Reservation land and the Indians have been super strict with the beer virus deal going on, not following the typical Maricopa guidelines, it's all but killed that cruise unfortunately, and the limited time slot doesn't help either.

I hope that's not the case and things have changed, but quite frankly a morning cruise just doesn't thrill me. I have probably 10 different cars and coffee cruises to choose from on nearly any day of the week. Last thing I need is what used to be the best cruise in the state turn into another cars and coffee. Cynthia is also the one from what I understand who was cutting the nights short on Saturday before the beer virus started, calling the cops in to tell everyone to leave by 7pm, which was a load of crap. So I really don't see this cruise getting back to the great cruise it used to be as long as she is running the show.

Hope it works out for you though.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just thinking about driving down to the Pavilions, and saw this. I guess I'll head up north for my Saturday morning drive instead. The weather's so nice and cool, I have get out. Next week (Aug 7-8) there's an event up in Prescott at Watson Lake that might be fun.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I was just thinking about driving down to the Pavilions, and saw this. I guess I'll head up north for my Saturday morning drive instead. The weather's so nice and cool, I have get out. Next week (Aug 7-8) there's an event up in Prescott at Watson Lake that might be fun.
I do Watson Lake every year (except last year of course) I'm 10 minutes from there. It's always a good time, beautiful setting for a car show and usually a pretty good swap meet where I score something.

Just hope the pop up thunderstorms hold off. That place can turn into a muddy mess pretty quickly.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple of pictures I took of the Watson Lake show. I climbed up on the rocks to try and get an overview but still only captured about 1/2 the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0805171406.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	570654   Click image for larger version

Name:	0805171406a.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	570655  

Old 07-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to give everyone an idea what this cruise used to mean to everyone and what it used to be like, here's a video. Anyone that has lived here long enough will remember.
Ever since Mark sold the franchise a couple years ago and Cynthia took over, it's went downhill unfortunately.

This is what a cruise is supposed to be, into the evening, car guys hanging out. And it's free.

https://youtu.be/fHRqsn5Vidk

Old 07-31-2021, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Just to give everyone an idea what this cruise used to mean to everyone and what it used to be like, here's a video. Anyone that has lived here long enough will remember.
Ever since Mark sold the franchise a couple years ago and Cynthia took over, it's went downhill unfortunately.

This is what a cruise is supposed to be, into the evening, car guys hanging out. And it's free.

https://youtu.be/fHRqsn5Vidk
I used to go there all the time 20 years ago when Iwas going to school in Phoenix. It was always a great turnout with a variety of cars. Seems to me that while anyone could show up to the event, that they would rotate through some of the different car clubs around....so one week it might be a lot more Corvettes, then Mopars, Pontiacs Mustangs, lowriders, etc, etc.

I really enjoyed this cruise in and honestly have not experienced anything as good as that one in Idaho.

Watson Lake looks like a nice event, grandparents used to live in Prescott Valley...had some good times up in that area.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool. I've been attending regularly since 2005. Enjoy it enough to drive back and forth from Prescott Valley at least a couple times a month. Gives me a chance to catch up with friends down there as well.
The time change to the morning doesn't work for me. I'm not leaving the house at 4am to drive 100 miles just to get down there for a limited parking spot and have a cup of coffee, then to be told to leave at noon. I'd spend more time driving than time spent at the cruise. Which is why I'll go to 67th and Bell now. I can leave pretty much any time I want in the afternoon, get a parking spot and hang on into the evening until my hearts content.
Either side of town makes no difference to me as I'm coming down the 17 I get to Phoenix and either go East or West. It's about the same distance either way.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So how was the morning cruise 67GP? Was it what you hoped it would be?

Old 08-02-2021, 12:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Car show was nice. Wasn't packed due to the chance of rain? Always like the vibe there. True car people. This was the longest drive in my car since being back on the road. Will make it back there when the show changes back to a early night show in the fall.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad that worked out for ya

Old 08-08-2021, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

I was just reading this thread...so the Saturday night car show on Saturday nights at the Pavillions in Scottsdale is no more?

I used to go up there all the time but haven't because of Covid. That's terrible if that has gone away and is now a morning cars and coffee thing with limited attendance allowed. That car show on Saturday nights was the longest-running and largest weekly car show in the USA at one time.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah it's actually in the Guinness record book as the longest running cruise.

I'd have to get in touch with Cynthia again, I don't really know if she has any intentions of bringing the Saturday night cruise back or not. Kind of a conglomeration of things.

When she took over the franchise I got the impression she didn't really like the late evening vibe because she started trying to get everyone to leave by 7pm and would call the cops in every Saturday night to run everyone off. That went on for months. Then this virus thing started and suddenly large gatherings were frowned upon, so that pretty much stopped it all together.

When things settled down she kept talking about starting it back up, but told me she didn't have the insurance to do it. Apparently she let it lapse when the virus thing started with all the restrictions. And you know how that goes, once you stop something, it's even harder to get it back. I think it also had something to do with the Gila River Indian Reservation not wanting to grant her permission, since the property is on reservation land, and the Gila reservation was 10 times more strict than Doug Ducey had been with Maricopa county.

So with all that, I guess she decided to start a cars and coffee morning thing and limit the amount of cars in a small time slot due to the insurance thing.
Problem with that is we have a dozen cars and coffee cruises nearly every day of the week and to take the best evening cruise in Arizona and turn it into another cars and coffee was just the wrong idea in my opinion. I guarantee, even with that, she still has a severe drop in business.

So only time will tell if the Saturday night thing comes back. I hope it does come back, in full force without restrictions. Short time slots don't work for me either. I'm not driving 4 hours if I can't spend at least several hours down there.

67th and Bell has become one of the better Saturday night cruises throughout this whole ordeal. Not even the virus restrictions stopped that from happening.

Old 08-22-2021, 01:59 PM

I stopped by yesterday morning as I had to run out to Scottsdale early in the AM. I got there around 8:15 ish, it really is a shell of what it once was. There were maybe 45 cars, less I think but I did not actually count. While not a lot of cars there were still a few very high quality cars there including a few Pontiacs. I saw a nice 67 GTO, a mid 70's Grand Prix, and a 67 Firebird. I enjoyed chatting with the Firebird owner for a bit, made the round and was out by 9:30.

I noticed a flyer in one of the cars that said the show would be moving to nights 4pm to 8pm starting in Oct. What I do not understand is why it is days now and nights in winter, honestly makes no sense and I'm sure that is partly to blame for the poor turnout.

Regardless once I get my car back on the road (hopefully later this year) I plan to swing by when I can.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamans71 View Post
I stopped by yesterday morning as I had to run out to Scottsdale early in the AM. I got there around 8:15 ish, it really is a shell of what it once was. There were maybe 45 cars, less I think but I did not actually count. While not a lot of cars there were still a few very high quality cars there including a few Pontiacs. I saw a nice 67 GTO, a mid 70's Grand Prix, and a 67 Firebird. I enjoyed chatting with the Firebird owner for a bit, made the round and was out by 9:30.

I noticed a flyer in one of the cars that said the show would be moving to nights 4pm to 8pm starting in Oct. What I do not understand is why it is days now and nights in winter, honestly makes no sense and I'm sure that is partly to blame for the poor turnout.

Regardless once I get my car back on the road (hopefully later this year) I plan to swing by when I can.
I figured the day thing wouldn't work, there is already too much of that around. I'm sure Cynthia has seen a decline in business too compared to what that used to be.
Besides, evening cruises are where it's at anyway. It needs to go back to evenings and stay there year round. It just makes more sense as people have lives to live and things to get done during the day.
The time limit thing is still lame in my eyes though. I hope she gets a little more laxed about that as time goes on.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:00 PM

Just an update for those in the Phx/AZ region, the Pavilions car show was awesome last night! Looked like the years prior with a ton of cars and people. I arrived somewhat late at around 7PM so there were a few empty spaces and some folks were starting to pack up and head out but still some amazing cars and way more Pontiacs than what had been showing up for the mornings. I snapped a few photos of some of the Pontiacs I saw and a few others.

Name:	20211009_185602.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	574793

Name:	20211009_190134.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	574794

Name:	20211009_190227.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	574795

Name:	20211009_190343.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	574796

Name:	20211009_190515.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	574797

Old 10-10-2021, 01:02 PM

Some more.

Name:	20211009_190534.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	574798

Name:	20211009_190557.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	574799

Name:	20211009_190612.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	574800

Name:	20211009_190630.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	574801

Name:	20211009_202855.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	574802

Old 10-10-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got an email about it a week ago.

Glad you finally got to enjoy what it should be like. Yesterday (Saturday) was Pontiac night which is why you saw a lot of Pontiacs. Every 2nd Saturday of the month is Pontiac night.

The new parking area for club participation like Pontiac night is on the North end of the lot near the main drag. I am told there are only 43 spots available for that, which is more than they had for clubs previously, however it may be necessary to ask McDonalds employees to move their cars for access to all of them.

Also from the same email I was told now, McDonalds is no longer responsible for this cruise and has nothing to do with it any longer. It's been taken over and the new contact is Larry Oliver. New times for the cruise are now in place by the Gila Indian Reservation, 3-8pm.