Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-24-2021, 01:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Now my 1970 GTO sounds the way it should

First Video is the way it sounded before. Doug's headers, Magna-Flow 2.5 inch mandrel bent with X-pipe. Sounds too quite to me. Look at the first 50 seconds for the exhaust sounds.

https://youtu.be/EoYVfvmtuX8

Second video is the new sniper EFI that replaced the FI-Tech system and open headers.

https://youtu.be/tku6RdlCeiQ

Third video is with full exhaust. Start at the 2:05 mark. It takes a little bit to get it started. It wasn't getting any spark. Turns out the steering column needed to be turned a little bit. Remember with the 4speed the transmission needed to be in reverse to get the key out of the ignition. That procedure turned the steering column. The bugs need to be ironed out with the new T-56. Doug's headers, American Thunder series exhaust (2.5 inch mandrel bent and H-pipe) from the headers to Texas T/A mufflers and the Magna-Flow tailpipes. Now it sounds like a GTO. "The Humbler".

https://youtu.be/jkPn8yg-spg

Enjoy. Turn up the volume.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Last edited by napster; 12-24-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds nasty...in a very good way. Nice and aggressive. I love the comment in the video @2:30 and am in agreement - "Yeah...that's beautiful!"

I'm wondering how similar my 406 will be (oversized RA manifolds and 2.5" mandrel/X pipe with 40 series Flowmaster)?? Maybe not quite as loud.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Sounds nasty...in a very good way. Nice and aggressive. I love the comment in the video @2:30 and am in agreement - "Yeah...that's beautiful!"

I'm wondering how similar my 406 will be (oversized RA manifolds and 2.5" mandrel/X pipe with 40 series Flowmaster)?? Maybe not quite as loud.
Thanks!

I think you might be surprised. However, the X-pipe will quiet it down a bit. I'm changing all of my cars from X-pipe to H-pipe.

I have a 1970 T/A that I run the same exhaust system on with the exception of the headers. It has the oversized RA IV manifolds. When I first heard the exhaust note I was sold on the sound from the H-pipe. Here is a link to the night my '70 T/A was delivered. I think it is louder than the GTO. It has a 433CID engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmQXWoIMSU

What will be interesting is I have another engine to be built for a 1969 GTO. It will be a 461 using RA II heads. I'll be using the oversized RA IV manifolds and the same exhaust after that as the 1970 GTO. It will be interesting how it sounds compared to the '70 GTO and the '70 T/A.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:27 AM
Senior Chief

Where do you find Texas T/A mufflers? Are they flow through or baffled?

1970 GTO: Atoll Blue, TH400, 400 +.060, small chamber Ferrea big valve fitted # 15 heads, Summit 2802 cam, Iron intake, Cliff Ruffles 850 cfm qjet, Hooker headers, 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust, Race Pro mufflers, 3.73 Safe-T-Track.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:45 AM
Senior Chief

That's a good looking GTO!!

I have a Flowmaster American Thunder system on mine and I removed the H-pipe which made it sound better (in my opinion). I have Hooker Aerochamber mufflers instead of fllowmasters though.
I wasn't able to get it through inspection though, too loud so I had to weld some Dynomax bullets in (I put them in after the headers).
Anyway what I am trying to say is you might like the sound of your car even better without the H-pipe.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm318 View Post
Where do you find Texas T/A mufflers? Are they flow through or baffled?
https://texastransam.com/

Old 03-28-2022, 07:20 PM
Suspended

When I bought my 69 el Camino it had an X pipe on it. The 427 sounded tinny. I removed all that and ran two dedicated pipes with a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos. That made a huge difference that great big block Chevrolet sound came back.