Old 05-25-2022, 07:40 PM

Default Realistic starting price

I would appreciate some help in trying to set a realistic price for a 69 Firebird. It's set up to go fast now but have all the new stock items still I took off. It's a built 463 with KRE heads 310 . Ohio crank ,Harlan Sharp, SRp pistons, Cliff did the carb> It's a very fast car. I still have the original 400 with 45,000 it ran perfect when I took it out. Paint is Driver quality repaint body work was not much car sat 25 years in a garage when I got it. I have all the reciepts and documentation of work done, no surprises. Just looking for a rough range in Northern Ohio.

Thanks Tom

Old 05-25-2022, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms bird View Post
I would appreciate some help in trying to set a realistic price for a 69 Firebird. It's set up to go fast now but have all the new stock items still I took off. It's a built 463 with KRE heads 310 . Ohio crank ,Harlan Sharp, SRp pistons, Cliff did the carb> It's a very fast car. I still have the original 400 with 45,000 it ran perfect when I took it out. Paint is Driver quality repaint body work was not much car sat 25 years in a garage when I got it. I have all the reciepts and documentation of work done, no surprises. Just looking for a rough range in Northern Ohio.

Thanks Tom
Post some pictures. Any hot roddy stuff you do to it will decrease its value. If you have all the original parts, I would install them. If that's too much work, just sell it all as package deal. Give us the options in PHS and cowl tag info.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

It's been my experience recently with selling my wife's Chevelle that the market is in two fairly distinct places.

Good to great quality restorations and all out restomods. If the car sits in between it's a harder sell right now.

Pictures would be helpful on this one, but if it's a typical "day 2" styled car with mostly stock everything in an older restoration or driver quality and the hopped up engine, I would peg it probably in the low 20's. That assumes it's mostly if not completely mechanically sound.

To give you a reference, my 69 is a near complete restomod/pro-touring car. It has a fairly similar engine setup, every piece of the drivetrain has been touched, every bit of suspension, modernized lighting and light work on the interior. The car is mechanically sound and reliable. It was modified with a mix of budget conscious and mid-tier performance parts. I have a standing buy offer on the car at 35K.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
It's been my experience recently with selling my wife's Chevelle that the market is in two fairly distinct places.

Good to great quality restorations and all out restomods. If the car sits in between it's a harder sell right now.

Pictures would be helpful on this one, but if it's a typical "day 2" styled car with mostly stock everything in an older restoration or driver quality and the hopped up engine, I would peg it probably in the low 20's. That assumes it's mostly if not completely mechanically sound.

To give you a reference, my 69 is a near complete restomod/pro-touring car. It has a fairly similar engine setup, every piece of the drivetrain has been touched, every bit of suspension, modernized lighting and light work on the interior. The car is mechanically sound and reliable. It was modified with a mix of budget conscious and mid-tier performance parts. I have a standing buy offer on the car at 35K.
Post a link to it here. That's what this thread is really for. I want to see your car.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I sold my 69 clone T/A with my 366 short deck RA V in it,I kind of priced what I thought what the roller was worth without a engine and trans and the price for the engine and trans by their own.Good thing as a couple years later I bought the car back as a roller.As I remember it was 20K for the roller.FWIW,Tom

Old 05-26-2022, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thews View Post
Post a link to it here. That's what this thread is really for. I want to see your car.
Here's a couple photos I had from a shoot a couple years back. I've done a decent bit of work since these were taken as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3020.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	591548

Name:	IMG_3025.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	591549

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	591550

Name:	IMG_3032.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	591551

Name:	IMG_3040.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	591552

Old 05-26-2022, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Here's a couple photos I had from a shoot a couple years back. I've done a decent bit of work since these were taken as well.
Nice 'bird...I wouldn't sell for $35K either.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 05-26-2022, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

what color is that? nice looking car.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 05-26-2022, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Nice 'bird...I wouldn't sell for $35K either.
Thank you. I think the money for it is right, it's certainly not perfect, but it does photograph well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moshier View Post
what color is that? nice looking car.
Thank you. The color is Dark Spiral Gray Metallic. It's a GM color that they used on chevy and GMC large SUV's in the early 2000's. In the shadows or at night it looks black, but it's more of a slate green with some purple pearls in it.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

Just seeing what has been selling lately, around $30k to $35k sounds about right being a true "400" car.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thank you. I think the money for it is right, it's certainly not perfect, but it does photograph well.

Thank you. The color is Dark Spiral Gray Metallic. It's a GM color that they used on chevy and GMC large SUV's in the early 2000's. In the shadows or at night it looks black, but it's more of a slate green with some purple pearls in it.
It's a very nice looking car. I'm going to be honest here, but we can agree to disagree if that's ok. If I were selling this car, I'd take the pictures you have now. I'd get a refurbished set of 14 inch Rally II's and not the new 17" wheels. Either one works, but the 14" deep dish Rally II's are pretty with BFG radial TA's. I'd add a repro chrome front nose and rear bumper. Take a new set of pictures with both looks as part of the deal and the car has options that didn't cost a lot. That's just what I'd do and again, it's a beautiful car. Leave it as is and I agree it should get $35K. Good luck with it.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thews View Post
It's a very nice looking car. I'm going to be honest here, but we can agree to disagree if that's ok. If I were selling this car, I'd take the pictures you have now. I'd get a refurbished set of 14 inch Rally II's and not the new 17" wheels. Either one works, but the 14" deep dish Rally II's are pretty with BFG radial TA's. I'd add a repro chrome front nose and rear bumper. Take a new set of pictures with both looks as part of the deal and the car has options that didn't cost a lot. That's just what I'd do and again, it's a beautiful car. Leave it as is and I agree it should get $35K. Good luck with it.
Yeah if I was looking to sell I'd led it go. I'm just not looking to sell it, even though I have offers.

The brakes on the car won't accommodate a 14" wheel, they should clear some 15" versions. It's all personal preference of course, I like pro-touring cars.

It's a moderately optioned 350 HO car. It'll never be worth as much as a restoration as it would a higher end pro-touring car.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:16 PM

Thank You for all the input. I really appreciate all the responses. It's hard to know what to do to a car. That car was built back to stock for one year, then I took the original perfect running 400 out and put a 463 in. Then next year took 463 had head work and cam done to make it too fast for the car. So now we have to put in a mosser rear and caltrax to handle the motor, even though the original rear end was just rebuilt completely. The car was a original 400 4sd car. It has wear but I still have the original interior in it. So it's a car to fast to drive normally on the street but still have original motor and rear to put it back to stock again. I just made the car I wanted To drive.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been there with my car. It started out as a road race build that turned into more of a street car and in turn kind of sucked to drive for a while. There's absolutely nothing wrong with building the car you want for the way you want to drive it. You have to be okay with the fact that such a build may not be a money-maker as a result.

If you don't need to make money on the car, or you have no intention of ever getting rid of it. Do the rear end, build the big motor, go nuts and be happy with it. If you're at the point where you are needing or wanting to sell and get the most from it, I believe putting it back to stock, selling the car as such, then selling your hipo motor will be the best bet.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:39 PM

Jason I did build the big motor and beef everything up to handle it, I even had a nitrous system to add but I didn't want to go any faster. I don't care about the money, I can't drive and work on the car the way I want to. Hate to say it I might need a 4dr (sleeper).

Old 05-26-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
When I sold my 69 clone T/A with my 366 short deck RA V in it,I kind of priced what I thought what the roller was worth without a engine and trans and the price for the engine and trans by their own.Good thing as a couple years later I bought the car back as a roller.As I remember it was 20K for the roller.FWIW,Tom
Tom that's the thing a car in Ohio would bring nothing close to what it would be in California. I remember we talked about cam choices when I put that stump puller in. I know a lot of the money I spent is gone and I really don't care. I know it's a car but it's a car I've taken apart and put together a couple of times and painted everything before assembling I mean I know what I did to this car, it would really break my heart to see an idiot get it.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d ask $50k for that car here’s why. A new hellcat is about $85k a new fast Tesla is $130 k to $150k There’s guy that that’s a gonna seem really cheap to. Have you seen what bring a trailer is brining for cars?

Problem
Is lots of guys selling short sets the market short. Many Pontiac guys have no idea what new performance sells for
And those cars are taxed high. In areas w property taxes this car would likely be taxed far lower and taxes are forever . There’s benefit to the older cars like being unique no emissions BS etc. .
Can always lower a price but can’t really go up.
Think about the hassle to build that car and market it that way. The guys your looking for to buy it aren’t likely gonna be hard core Pontiac guys. My guess is It’s gonna be your newer mustang , camaro , hellcat guy who wants something different And finds that price a bargain. Just my .02 what can you buy these days for $50k or less .

Look at the prices of pickups even these days

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!