Old 05-27-2022, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Glass Elves messed with my Windshield

So today was the day to install my windshield that has been stored under my bed for 30 years. I could have sworn this glass came from my Lemans parts car, wife broke the original 68 GTO window while we were clearing some rocks from the yard many years ago ... you know, right after I told her to be careful not to hit the car under the tarp

Lemans parts car was a 68 23737 so it should have fit if that's where it came from ... but see the results below. Fit perfect at the bottom and sides .. .but top corners were way off. I'm assuming I bought it used from someone ... and it's probably from a 4 dr. or Conv.

Question is ... what is the best place to get a reproduction ... preferably with the proper green tint and blue shade. Hopefully maybe an outfit that can deliver it to a local shop so I can avoid some outrageous shipping. Wife is paying since she still regrets breaking the original.

And I'm assuming I might have to get an adhesive dam a bit taller to compensate for the thinner modern glass.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield-1.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	591625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield-2.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	591626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield-3.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	591627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield-4.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	591628  

Old 05-27-2022, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sense an optical fit-illusion.

The butyl "rope" might make it appear to fit just fine when re-angled to be thicker up top, and tapering thinned goin down, and across the bottom.

Window needs jacked-out to a proper height so the stainless sits level. Butyl rope might allow a decent fit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

That does look like a convertible windshield with it being short at the top? If you have a local mobile glass co. they should be able to get you the correct tint and shade unless you want the Ppg logo and date etching.
Then you would have to use auto city glass or ECS I believe it’s called?
As far as the butyl I would instead have a glass installer run a nice bead of urethane to install the windshield.
Much better seal than any butyl type and if you install the mouldings as soon as you set the glass they will fit much better because the urethane will adjust to the curvature of the glass . Also works good to have the installer put a small black border along the glass edge to hide the bead of urethane. Looks really good that way imo

The Following User Says Thank You to 6804gto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be doing the install myself, did the back already ... I use urethane with a dam to prevent squeeze out past the trim.

HIS .. I wish this was an optical illusion ... when the glass is touching at the center of the roof it's close to 2" short on the top corners.

Pretty sure in 68 there were three types of glass, 2dr hardtop, conv. and 4 dr.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

Oh man that really sucks. Noting worse than holding onto parts for so may years only to find out they were incorrect all along. Interested to see where you get the glass from. My wife’s ‘Cuda came to us with what looks like a bowling ball sized shatter right in line with the driver side (fortunately it was shattered from the outside —-> in!). Curious to see where you find good quality glass.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm probably going to post in the Body Shop forum for suggestions, I have no clue where to go for glass .... looked at a couple of places ... glass is very reasonable ... shipping is like $350 !

Old 06-01-2022, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68-72 A bodies used three windshields (not counting tint, imbedded antennas etc), one for convertible only, another for two door coupe and hardtop and a third for all 4 doors including hardtops and wagons. The convertible one is shortest and has a taper at top corner, the 4 door version is 3/4" of an inch taller than the coupe version.

Interestingly this was not the case for 65-70 fullsize which had two, one for convertibles, 2 door and 4 door hardtops and another for all post cars including wagons.

Best place to buy windshields like that may be at autoparts or even an auto glass shop. They take a fat markup but usually much cheaper than the shipping cost you get when buying online or from a specialty shop in another city.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following User Says Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it sorted, have one coming from Auto City Classics for a very reasonable price.

So the OEM example I have must be for a convertible. The right height in the center top, but yes a pronounced taper down in the top corners about 1.5" shorter than the frame in my hardtop.

If anyone is local to the Saratoga NY area I'd be happy to give away this OEM piece. No chips or cracks, does have some delamination around the edges but nothing that would show past the trim, and it has wiper arc .... seems shallow enough to polish out. Free of course.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Got it sorted, have one coming from Auto City Classics for a very reasonable price.

So the OEM example I have must be for a convertible. The right height in the center top, but yes a pronounced taper down in the top corners about 1.5" shorter than the frame in my hardtop.

If anyone is local to the Saratoga NY area I'd be happy to give away this OEM piece. No chips or cracks, does have some delamination around the edges but nothing that would show past the trim, and it has wiper arc .... seems shallow enough to polish out. Free of course.
That windshield is dated July 68 fyi

The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2022, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm .... my GTO is 07A, my parts Lemans was 06A .. but neither a convertible ... no idea where I came up with this glass but I sure had it a long time. So the number decodes ... 7 (month) 8 (year) ?

New glass should be here Sun or Mon.

Old 06-05-2022, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Hmmm .... my GTO is 07A, my parts Lemans was 06A .. but neither a convertible ... no idea where I came up with this glass but I sure had it a long time. So the number decodes ... 7 (month) 8 (year) ?

New glass should be here Sun or Mon.
For PPG glass only, the first number is the plant code, then yes, month then year

The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2022, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67-72 LOF glass

LOF Month Code - First Character
N - Jan
X - Feb
L - Mar
G - Apr
J - May
I - Jun
U - July