Old 05-28-2022, 06:10 PM
Senior Chief

Default DIY Vac —-> Elec. Hideaways

In the beginning stages of this conversion… 75% of the parts I need to make the system vac again are long gone. Maybe someday I’ll hook it up correctly if I ever find the parts.

Anyways, here’s my plan so far:

- 1 Remotely mounted momentary DPDT switch

- 4 SPDT limit switches

- 2 12v DC 2” stroke linear actuators (low force)

Plan is to use the original hideaway mechanisms out to the end of the rotating arms and mount the linear actuators in place of the vac assemblies. All the actuators I’m seeing are straight/reverse polarity to extend and retract. DPDT switch should allow me to reverse the polarity with the same switch. Both feeds (straight and reverse) will chain through limit switches mounted at the fully extended and retracted points. These points will be made trim-able via threaded mounts so you can dial in your alignment of the doors with the grilles.

I’ve thought about this for the past 2 years or so but just last night started sketching some stuff out, so this is still kinda “brainstorming”. The actuators all appear to lock in position when the voltage is cut so the limit switches knocking out the voltage should be a good stop. Luckily with the reverse polarity to retract it won’t matter that the voltage was cut to the extend function. DPDT should let me flop +/- around to initiate the retraction so no worries there.

I’m thinking SPDT for the limit switches so the actuator hooked to the “NC” terminal will trip when the limit is hit. The tripped “NO” terminal will then feed the headlight relay so I never have to worry about turning the headlights on or having them be left on while the doors are closed.

Hmmm… still working out the bugs before ordering the parts this weekend.