Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Little computer help

Hi, not to hip with the puter stuff............windows 10, i try to save info into word pad or note pad...............seems i cant ever find it, i put save as, what ever, then when i do a search, nothing comes up.

Any help would be great.

Rich

Old 05-29-2022, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Windows 10 has multiple ways to save files, name files, and search. This adds complexity and you are not alone in struggling to figure it all out.

When you save a document, and use the option "Save" or "Save As", do you intentionally change from the default location or just provide a name for the file?

If not changing the location, Windows is probably saving your files in a "Documents" folder. This is a typical "default" setting.

As to searching, how are you doing this?

One way of searching is to use the search tool (looking glass icon) that pops up in the lower left corner of your screen. When you click on this tool, you'll see a pop-up. On the top of the pop-up window, there is a tab labeled "Documents". Try searching there if you aren't already doing this.

If you are unfamiliar with the File Explorer program, I think it is the best tool for locating files and in general, to understand how files are organized in your PC. I think anyone new to Windows will find this program useful as it provides a "map" for all the folders and files on your computer.

You may benefit by watching a YouTube video tutorial about how to use the Windows File System and/or the File Explorer program.

I'm happy to try and help once you spell out a few more details.

Mike

Old 05-29-2022, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Mike, thanks for the tips............when i do a search, it seems everything in the universe comes up except my stuff...........i do name the file, but im old and have crs, so im thinking im gonna try putting my stuff of interest in a folder..........will check the you tube stuff also............also will look into Documents folder............another few beers tonight and i should get it figured outl ...lol

Really appreciate the help.

Rich

Old 05-29-2022, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you press the windows key (usually bottom left on the keyboard) and "E" at the same time you will open up Explorer.

I like to create new folders right on the C drive starting with 00 "zero zero" or other numbers so it is always listed first.

When saving something always put in there. You'll always know where to look and easy to backup everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (426).png
Views:	43
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	591755  

Old 05-29-2022, 09:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would recommend you save your important documents in OneDrive. OneDrive is integrated into Windows10 and attached to your microsoft account (eg: hotmail, live, outlook).

Saving data here keeps it safe from your hard drive failing/your computer being stolen/house burns down etc and then the documents would also be available from any device you own.

If you log into office.com from your browser, even the free account comes with a basic version of word and onedrive storage.

Old 05-30-2022, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich - All good advice from others.

If you need help creating a folder, just ask.

The beer may not help but it's probably not a bad idea.

If you do the "Windows/E" thing, you will find this on the left side of the popup window that is Windows Explorer. You may also find other stuff but this is the main look at what's on your PC:

Each of these can be viewed as a filing cabinet and you can open a new folder in any of them as rustedgoat suggests.

I think if you create a new folder in the "Desktop" cabinet you will find it easiest to locate later. The "Desktop" is just that - what is on your home screen. So if you open a folder on your Desktop called "My Stuff", you will see it on your home screen and won't have to search for documents. All you will do is double-click the "My Stuff" folder and you will find all your files. These can be documents created by Notepad but can also be image files. Once you have your "My Stuff" folder opened, double-clicking on any file you see should open it up with the program or app that created it.

You might also try double-clicking the "Documents" cabinet. This will open the "default" location for storing document files. You might find all your lost stuff in there!

The OneDrive suggestion from kingbuzzo is smart but might also add confusion until you get more used to saving files and understand the filing system a little better. It really isn't any harder than saving in any other "Cabinet" but will require you to set up a Microsoft Account and may add a little baggage. It will, however, let you access your files from any device anywhere. In addition to having a "secure" backup, this "cloud" access can be a big help if you want to open the document on your phone or from another computer. It also lets you share the file with other people. All good but I suspect it may be a "level 2" exercise if you aren't used to using the Windows file system.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-29 213616.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	591759  

Old 05-30-2022, 08:08 AM
Senior Chief

I usually just right click on the desktop. Go to New/Text Document. Name it whatever you want. Then double click on it. Fill in your information then Save.

Old 05-30-2022, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thanks guys, great info.............im gonna try all of it........

Rich