The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-29-2022, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need a new windshield

I need a new windshield for my 68 GTO hardtop ... green tint, blue shade. Will be doing the install myself. Can I just order something like this from a local auto glass place and pick it up? I found very reasonable prices for the glass but the shipping was close to 3x the price of the glass. Wondering if I can avoid those costs by ordering it through an auto glass shop that is getting deliveries anyway.

Are most glass shops ordering from the same suppliers? I know nothing about the industry or if one brand is better than another etc.

Looking for good quality glass, don't care about date codes etc. but do care that the tinting and shading is good and the glass itself is the best quality I can get.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2022, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dataway,
I did the same 10 years ago with windshieldstogo.com

I think they represent hundreds of warehouses across the USA. You can go to their site, enter your car and what you're looking for, and specify you want to pick it up at a "local" warehouse, of your choice, so no shipping.

I remember paying something like 150 (?) dollars 10 years ago, it was a Pilkington brand. I just checked and they're now $265.

I also remember calling the website number about making sure I would get a blue shade at the top of the windshield, and they said anything they sell has the band....it's kind of the universal thing in the aftermarket....no choice otherwise. I don't know about clear vs. green tint. (mine was clear)

When I picked it up, I had a printout, and I handed it to a guy, he came out carrying a windshield, and I put it into my SUV on a moving blanket. I got the feeling a guy off the street did not come in very often, but there was no problem.

Installation with 5/16 butyl "tape" was a breeze. I'd do this again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squidtone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the same thing for my 1980 Datsun windshield. Ordered it, chose which warehouse I wanted it to be delivered to and picked it up on my lunch break.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually any place that installs them will sell you one. I don’t know about a place like Safelight but independent shops will.

Murf

The Following User Says Thank You to Murf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Auto City Classic for my 69 glass. I see they have a windshield for a 68 for $119 and I put in a Syracuse zip code and shipping was $110... not too bad and that was tinted with the upper band

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 03:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been buying from Auto City Classic for years.
I bought my '69 windshield from them earlier this year for $149 plus $110 shipping. They did charge me Texas sales tax too.

I bought all new side glass from them last week. $349 plus $45 shipping.

Auto City ships amazingly fast too.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my t/a windshield from auto city classics, glass was something like 120. and shipping across the country was another 200. or so. Glass was fine, but a bit thinner than stock. I had a local guy I found through a friend of a friend do the install. He charged 100. or so for that. He pulled up his sources on the net and found a couple of dozen correct windshields from hours to the next day out, and all were priced in the 80.-100. range!!

I would call a local guy first and see what they can do. A body shop may be able to get something for you as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just checked a couple of the suggested sources.

Windshieldstogo.com glass - $274 with a Syracuse NY pickup (about a 3-4 hour round trip).

Auto City Classic glass - $119 shipping $110

Both seem pretty reasonable. Does the Auto City Classic shipping quote mean right to your door? If so ... that seems like a good deal. At todays fuel prices it would cost me $100 to pickup in Syracuse.

Thanks folks.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes. FedEx.

FedEx beat the crap out of my side glass box but the glass wasn't damaged. I was worried though when I unpacked it.
The windshield box was more protective than the side glass box was though.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO

Last edited by roger1; 05-31-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, I'll be ordering from them tonight.

Anyone want to come pick up a used original ... convertible? Windshield

Old 05-31-2022, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't let the Fed Ex guy leave without opening the box! My windshield arrived when I wasn't home. Sat on the porch for three days.
The box showed signs of damage on one end. When I opened it the windshield was shattered. Fed Ex refused responsibility since I didn't note the damage when delivered.
To their credit Auto City gave me a new windshield but I had to pay shipping.
Second one arrived safely.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My windshield from Auto City was in a big box. Delivered to my door step. By chance I was home when it showed up with no problems. The glass itself was wrapped in about a mile of bubble wrap, then the box filled with peanuts. I figure they have the idea of shipping glass down pat by now. The box wasnt even marked as glass or even fragile.

The burner of the whole thing was I went to the AACA meet in Hershey and met with the auto city guys. They had a window for my car in their truck. I was parked about 5 miles away and had no way to carry the large box back to my truck. I even looked around to buy a cart or wagon with no luck. Ended up ordering when I got back home and had to pay the shipping.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think FedEx is worse that UPS is. FedEx basically drops off the box on your doorstep and runs back to the truck. UPS rings the doorbell and then runs.
Best think to do if you see damage on the box is to take photos of it on your doorstep that show the damage before you even attempt to open it.

Always check tracking info too so you can get to the box as fast as you are able to do. If you are home, you can watch out for them but no guarantee they can't drop and run before you even know they were there.

If you know you can be home, asking for signature delivery could be a good thing to do but they may charge you a few more bucks for it. Back when I was working the receiving department at my office would sign for personal deliveries for employees and I did that a couple of times but not often because I didn't want to wear out my welcome.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being extremely rural I'm on a talking and waving level with my delivery guys. The FedEx guy leaves dog biscuits for my dog, the UPS guy honks as he goes by if he sees me down in the garden ... so at least they might be helpful if something is broken. Only exception is the weekend FedEx guy ... he's one of the throw it and run type.

I'll make it a point to be here when it arrives. Luckily it won't be going all the way across the country ... just Minn to NY.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We are about the same with our delivery guys. I dont think you will have a problem, esp. if they package the way they did mine. My son bought a guitar and requested a signature for delivery. I was in my office when the ups guy brought it. My office window looks over my front porch into the front yard, LOL. The ups guy went to the first step, lightly tossed the box on the porch and walked away. So much for the Fragile label, let alone needing a signature!!

Old 06-01-2022, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well ... my bad luck with reproduction parts continues ... they are out of stock of my glass (green tint, shade band) and "hope" to have it in 3-4 weeks.

They said they DO have the same glass but with a windshield antenna ..... should I go for that? Are they very obvious? I've already spend about $150 on fender antenna parts.

Can it be used with my original AM radio if I want?

I really don't want to wait for a month and then hear it's still out of stock.

Update: .... screw it, I ordered it with the antenna. Looked at some photos and yes it can be seen easy enough, but not a glaring "first thing you notice" sort of deal.

Last edited by dataway; 06-01-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will notice it because you know its there. Most people wont even see it. The TATA windshield did not have a built in antennae like most other trans ams. I searched far and wide and could not find one without. Ended up like you, getting one with.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have driven my 69 GTO for nearly 20 years with a built in windshield antenna. I wouldn't sweat it.

The Following User Says Thank You to John Milner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent ... you guys always make me feel better

Anything special I should know about installation? Like where the wires go?

Old 06-01-2022, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC there is a small connector at the bottom of the windshield for the carbody cable

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express