Old 05-30-2022, 02:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 79 Door Lock Pawl - what years fit

While installing power windows and replacing my door lock cylinders on my 79 TA I found there to be NO existing door lock pawl on the drivers side lock cylinder- the pawl is the lever that connects the lock cylinder to the lock latch inside the door.
What years fit for the Left side - drivers side and where would I find one?
I am looking to avoid the high shipping cost on such a little part.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:17 AM
Suspended

Glad you got the console switch hole sorted.

It depends if you used a long or short barrel lock, select the opposite. Both are sold for all years, just not original to them. You've done well to swap locks over and not notice they are connected to nothing, reuse of previous if same, has a retainer clip.

Old 05-30-2022, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4abuygto View Post
While installing power windows and replacing my door lock cylinders on my 79 TA I found there to be NO existing door lock pawl on the drivers side lock cylinder- the pawl is the lever that connects the lock cylinder to the lock latch inside the door.
What years fit for the Left side - drivers side and where would I find one?
I am looking to avoid the high shipping cost on such a little part.
do you have a pic of the part you need? i may have one & can probably ship it in an envelope with a stamp... or worst case in a small box via first class for a few bucks.

Old 05-30-2022, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Trevor78, yes I did get the console switch location figured out - your help and the help of all is greatly appreciated. I got the power window relay setup working well after cleaning up all the tracks and new dry lube they go up and down well with the car not running. Also took time to adjust and align the windows - there is great information about that out there.

Thanks to All - your help has been great.
I am still working on the remote mirror cable location and mounting hardware to complete that to the driver side panel.

78w72, attached is a photo of the passenger side lock pawl is the lever that goes from the lock cylinder to the door latch lock lever. Mine was completely missing - one of the many surprises I am finding. And, according to my research, the passenger side and driver side are different and I need the driver side.
I have the clip to hold it on because that came with the new lock set but I have no idea if the lock set is the shallow or longer kind but it is the same as the passenger photo attached as that side is done with the new keyed lock.
Your help in locating what I need is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock pawl passenger side.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	591771  

Old 05-30-2022, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
78w72, attached is a photo of the passenger side lock pawl is the lever that goes from the lock cylinder to the door latch lock lever. Mine was completely missing - one of the many surprises I am finding. And, according to my research, the passenger side and driver side are different and I need the driver side.
I have the clip to hold it on because that came with the new lock set but I have no idea if the lock set is the shallow or longer kind but it is the same as the passenger photo attached as that side is done with the new keyed lock.
Your help in locating what I need is greatly appreciated.
thanks for the pic, just wanted to be sure what it was. i will check to see what i have in the next couple days & let you know.

Old 05-30-2022, 11:57 AM
Suspended

That's the long version, and there's even variation between them but half work on either.

For sake of random pics here's what your is, assuming new lock is same type.

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970.../dwn-2052l.htm

Some originals had this extra loop support that slipped over the barrel, not sure if it worked on replacements, it wouldn't fit the type in your pic.

https://www.ecklers.com/camaro-door-...-254632-1.html

This is the short version of earlier years:

https://www.ecklers.com/firebird-doo...-260910-1.html

Old 05-31-2022, 12:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys for the info it is greatly appreciated.

78w72 if you find one that you have available let me know. I would prefer to work with someone on this forum than pay a retailer almost as much for shipping as I do for the part - especially on such a small item.

Last edited by i4abuygto; 05-31-2022 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info it is greatly appreciated.

78w72 if you find one that you have available let me know. I would prefer to work with someone on this forum than pay a retailer almost as much for shipping as I do for the part - especially on such a small item.
i found the door lock thingy. sent you a PM.