Old 07-12-2022, 12:32 AM

Default Assembly manual

I was recently perusing an Oldsmobile forum looking for information on a NOS olds 455 crate motor I recently acquired And saw where they have pdf versions of several years of "Engine Assembly Manuals" for the olds engines. Does such a thing exist for our Pontiac engines? I've seen lots of Assembly manuals for the different car models but never one specific to the engine itself. Some interesting information in there regarding casting#'s, color codes, head cc's etc.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never seen such for Pontiac engines in the 50 plus years of being in this hobby.

Even to date I think your best bet is to see if you can get your hands on a old HO racing Assy manual , one of Pete McCarthys first books on Pontiacs which came out in 1981, or SA design’s has a Pontiac engine build book.
The name of the person who wrote it escapes me now, sorry!

PS.
In regards to casting codes and numbers Pete’s second book stands above them all as far as I know.

Also you will find the Wallace racing site has a ton of info on it.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:35 AM

There are factory shop manuals that address repairing and rebuilding the engine and chassis components, but I assume that's not what you mean.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:17 PM

Default Engine Assembly

It's unfortunate if they don't exist but you would think if one division had these documents, They would all have a version of it. I would think something like this would have been the source material someone like Pete Macarthy would have used to write his "Bible" which is certainly a great resource, but it would be great to see the factory literature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	assemblycover.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	594181  

Old 07-12-2022, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That picture almost looks like a diagram from a parts catalog.
Pontiac had a Parts Catalog that showed all the parts of a car.
(but didn't tell how to assemble or disassemble)

The Pontiac Service manual shows how to assemble and disassemble engines.
(among many other things)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	092.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	594196  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-12-2022, 03:18 PM

Default Engine assembly

The drawings it contains are more like what you find in the chassis Assembly manuals. But What's far more interesting is some of the other information it contains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oldsassy3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	594197   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldsassy1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	594198   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldsassy2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	594199  

Old 07-12-2022, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks interesting.

They have assembly manuals for some Pontiac models, but are for the whole car.
And some of them are not real clear.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-12-2022, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Contact Tim Dye with your question. You may get a surprise.

https://pontiacoaklandmuseum.org/contact-us

Old 07-13-2022, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just hopping in to clarify some of the verbiage: "Assembly Manual", "Service Manual", "Unit Repair Manual" -

Assembly Manual - these are also called "PADs" (ie, Product Assembly Documents) or "PDMs (Product Description Manuals). These are the directions that the vehicle assembly plant use to put the vehicle together on a moving assembly line. As a result - they describe the activities based on how the parts/components are received at the assembly plant.

That's why they would cover things like putting fenders on, or how to route the battery cable, or where the body side moldings go. Since engines, transmissions, rear axles, etc are received as "black boxes" they would not go into detail about how those components are created and assembled.

Service Manuals - are probably the document that most hobbyists are familiar with. These describe how to take the vehicle apart and put it back together in a stationary stall service environment.

Unit Repair manual - I find a lot of folks are not familiar with these. These tell how to dissassemble, service and adjust some of the smaller components, like steering gears, for example.

Factory Service Manuals and Unit Repair manuals are readily available for all types of divisions and models, from GM, Helm and Chilton's.

Assembly Manuals - not so much. Availability is spotty at best. Manuals were used for one model year and then discarded when the new model year sheets came out.

Because they were never meant to be made available to the public they only copies available now are the ones that were smuggled out in some way.

I worked in GM assembly for 40 years and have personally thrown away thousands of pages, and can honestly say it never occurred to me to try to keep any of those (until just now).

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
The original poster is asking about the "PAD" sheets (Product Assembly Document; aka "PDM" or Product Description Manual) which were used in the assembly plant.

I've never seen one offered for sale for '64 big cars.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-13-2022 at 11:03 AM.