Old 09-13-2021, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1156 and 1157 LED recommendations

Can you guys recommend any particular brand for replacing the various 1156 and 1157 bulbs in my GTO with LED bulbs?

What is the solution for "hyper-flashing" of the turn signals when using LED?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2021, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, in leu of any advice I made the plunge and purchased all the necessary LED bulbs for the entire rear, and the front turn signals from "SuperBright LEDS" including two of the proper LED flasher units. About $100 for 4 red stop lights, 2 white backup lights, 2 red marker lights, 2 amber front signals and the 2 flashers. Should reduce the current to the rear of the car by about 80%

Old 09-13-2021, 08:55 PM
Senior Chief

I used the Phillips LED bulbs from Rock Auto. I also used an electronic flasher also.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Basically I only went with SuperBright because their website had a very nice setup for looking up your car and it lists every single bulb in the car by location with corresponding part number for the proper LED bulb ... just click on the bulbs to order.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:53 PM

Default LED Bulbs

I used Superbright but eventually went with "BRISHINE 1157 Briliant Red" on recommendation from "Formulajones" (on this forum) to get the turn signal/brake light intensity I was looking for. Got them from Amazon.

The Following User Says Thank You to 69 Limelight For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd recommend looking for comparison videos on YouTube before buying anything. There are a number of comparison vids for common LED conversions, such as the 1156 & 1157 bulb size. Not all are created equal. A big issue with LED bulbs that many might not consider is the difference in light output between the low and high setting with regard to blinkers and taillights. Some of the LEDs demonstrate very little difference between low & high light output settings, so it's less obvious to others when you are on the brakes or signaling. I'm not knocking LEDs at all, just do your homework first.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 09-14-2021 at 02:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep I heard that is possibly an issue. I'll be able to leave a review when I try these out. I'm hoping that the GTO with it's dual brake light bulbs on each side won't be an issue.

I'll take a look at the Brishine, luckily it doesn't cost a fortune to try a few out.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thats kind of why I went with a company who has a good reputation in lighting, Phillips, and on Rock Auto, it tells you what bulb you need for each location. They also have good prices and are reliable to deal with. I am happy with them Auto Zone and the other auto parts stores carry LED bulbs now as the major lighting companies, Phillips and others, start introducing them. I tried out a couple bulbs first before I went all in.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just checked out Rock Auto ... had no idea they had such a nice selection of LED bulbs. Better prices too, if anything doesn't work out I'll definitely go that route.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:41 PM
Senior Chief

I tried a couple of bulbs first, to see if I liked them. Before I bought the whole set.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For future reference ... the Superbright 1157's don't fit GTO tail lights worth a crap. The 1156 fits the backup light ok. Haven't checked the 1157's in the front turn signals yet, but I imagine the sockets are the same as the tail lights. Basically the Superbrights don't fit far enough into the sockets to properly engage the pin grooves, and the pins appear to stand out a bit too far, and there is are globs of solder on the top of the metal base that seem to hinder the fit also.

They did however have a very noticeable difference between tail lights and brake lights.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

jerry, ordered some of the Phillips from Rock Auto ... good price, correct color, and if the pictures are correct the "bulb" has the small taper/radius on the bottom that looks like it would allow them to fit correctly in the sockets. The Superbrights had a hard step out at the top of the metal base that just wouldn't allow them to fit in the socket properly ... only lacking about 1/32".
Phillips seems to be the only brand that does this, even the Sylvanias I see have a "ledge" sticking out at the top of the metal base. Also I noticed that the Sylvanias have a note "For off road use only" ... seems odd for a major lighting company.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow FWIW...

I didn't want to overcomplicate a simple task so I went with these 2357R and I'm very happy with them.
They have increased the output by leaps and bounds.

I've had them in service for a few years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2357R.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	573726   Click image for larger version

Name:	RED LED 1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	573727   Click image for larger version

Name:	RED LED 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	573728   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 LED BULD TEST 3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	573729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRIVING 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	573730  

Old 09-24-2021, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting, just took a look at those, same base design as the Phillips for the Red and Amber ... I was looking at the white Sylvanias and they were a completely different design with a stepped projecting at the top of the base.
Seems that at least Sylvania and Phillips realizes the Red and Amber bulbs usually go into sockets that need a tapered bottom on the "bulb" section.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:19 PM
Senior Chief

Just a note but pre-computer cars need a "constant rate" (trailer towing) flasher to prevent fast flashing from low currant.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fast flashing in a mechanical flasher system is caused by HIGH current, not low. Padgett is right in saying an easy fix is an electronic flasher.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got two LED friendly flashers too, one for turn signals, one for four ways.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I chose to only replace my rear bulbs with LEDs. By leaving the front turn signals regular 1157s I did not need to replace the flasher.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Installed the Phillips in the tail lights, they are going to work nicely ... fit was still a bit finicky until I noticed the OEM sockets on one of the housings was poorly crimped and didn't want to allow the bulb to go in all the way. Some work with pliers fixed that. The other NOS housing they went right in like regular bulbs. Brake light - Tail light difference was very noticeable.