Old 09-23-2021, 06:12 PM

Default Hood hinge spring

Does anyone have experience replacing the springs on hood hinges? I bought new hinges from our sponsor and they came through without the springs. The springs on my old hinges are fine and they hold the hood open wide. I just want to take them off the old hinges without loosing an eye or a limb.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vettdr..............if the old springs are still on the car.............all i used to get my springs out was an old alt/fan belt...........didnt have to pull too hard to get the spring out. Hook one end on the spring and give it a pull.

Rich

Old 09-23-2021, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out some you tube vids they have a few different ways that you could try.........i did mine like the guy with the chains, just used a belt instead.

Rich

Old 09-23-2021, 08:47 PM
Senior Chief

I have a special tool for replacing the springs, I think it is made by K-D tools or Lisle. I have also just pulled them by hand and taken them off. All depends on how strong the spring is.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to get a little creative when installing the hood hinge springs on my car. I was unable to pull them far enough with a belt or similar using arm strength, so I ended up using a ratchet strap that I hooked to something high up on the wall that wasn't going to budge. That way I could slowly pull the spring far enough, click by click, until it was extended far enough to position correctly on the hinge.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-23-2021, 10:17 PM

Thanks to all who replied. Your advice helped and I got the job done.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just put some on a 67 Camaro….used a big screwdriver to slide them on….they came off by hand. Or as others have said