Old 08-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 Quadrajet Different

Recently found a 67 Qjet Carb in a old shop. I put it beside another 67 and noticed the main body of the carb is shorter where the fuel inlet goes.
Haven't seen this before. It looks original but with this difference.

Anyone that knows about this difference or has any information, let me know. Appreciate any information.
Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone cut the nose for better threads to the fuel inlet nut instead of mounting a HeliCoil, which would have been the proper repair.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 08-04-2021, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do those main carburetor bodies have the same carburetor number? Just at a glance, I see three other differences between them. 1. The main bowl vent stack is a different height on each. 2. One has the proper bi-metal bowl vent in the front with the rubber stopper, the other doesn't have it, generally indicating a later model. 3. One has a hose fitting for ported vacuum above the pull off fitting, the other doesn't. This is in addition to the inlet length difference. I have seen numerous different inlet nuts and different lengths of the castings both straight and angle over the many years they were made. Early ones were mostly short and more prone to stripping as only 4 to 5 threads held the nut.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The carb on the right with normal fuel inlet size has been altered by a rebuilder. Ports added, left front and top rear. Not sure what else is different.
The one with short inlet , looks like it never had any inlet corrosion and threads are nice. The part that sticks out in middle of inlet is very nice no corrosion.
The center section of carb has same part numbers on back.

If the inlet was cut down, it looks like a professional did it or Rochester did it originally for some reason.

I will post pictures of inlet when I take them.

I talked to another Pontiac guy and he said he thinks he has the same thing and described it over the phone. Supposed to get me pictures of his 67 carb

Just trying to figure this out.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:18 PM

These carbs where made by two vendors, need more pics (part number stamps and other markings) and info to confirm, but both Carter and Rochester made these for GM, also later dated carbs with correct numbers were avail for replacement by GM.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both are Rochester carbs with same number on back of center section.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The one with uncut nose has a non-Pontiac airhorn.

Looks like a "Frankencarb".

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 08-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The normal inlet carb has been through a rebuilder. It needs helicoil in the inlet . Change things that rebuilder altered.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently bought a 7027273 that someone put an aftermarket contraption to deal with bad threads. Correct fix would have been the helicoil route like others have said. Anyway, the contraption (for lack of a better word and I have seen many of these stupid fixes) has a screw drilled into it to hold in place. I will need to have my machinist friend shorten the nose since there is no way to plug up the screw hole. That is probably what happened to the one in this thread. All noses were the same size from the factory...no matter which manufacturer built it (Rochester versus Carter).

Old 09-04-2021, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another 67 Quadrajet I just found.