Old 08-21-2021, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 66 GTO convertible w/ AC fuel and brake lines

Did a search on this forum and looked at every diagram I can find in my shop manuals, restoration guide, etc. Still looking for definitive answer to:

There is a bracket at the rear of the frame that the left hand rear control arm bolts to. The bracket has a narrow opening where it attaches to the frame. Do the fuel, brake, or vapor return lines pass through this opening or do they go up over the top of this bracket? Do one or more of the lines pass through the bracket? Which ones? Would really love to see a picture of this area on the frame on an original, unrestored car.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Terry. My '66 is a coupe rather than a convertible, but it is a factory A/C car. When I disassembled it for restoration, it had the original fuel & brake hard lines intact. The fuel supply and vapor lines pass over top of the control arm bracket, and the brake line passes through it. See photos below for reference. I have a few more photos available if you'd like more. Although the convertible frame is different than the hardtops/coupes due to being reinforced, I'm assuming the brake & fuel lines are routed similarly at the rear section of the frame.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-21-2021, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 66 GTO convertible

Exactly what I was hoping to get. Many thanks for this info. That is how I routed my lines. I may send you a PM in the future with other questions regarding brake lines. I took photos and drew diagrams when I disassembled my car, but somehow I still seem to be scratching my head about some details I didn’t document well enough.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:06 AM

Both fuel and vapor line pass over the top of the control arm bracket?

Old 03-19-2022, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild