The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-25-2021, 10:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default Flattening SPI Epoxy Primer for frame/chassis

Long story short, I decided to use straight “out of the can” black SPI epoxy primer as my 60° (60%) gloss. That covers what I wanted for the inner fenders, core support, control arms, and all the other odds and ends. Is it 60? Who knows but I wasn’t about to try to knock down 5 or 10% and complicate things.

For the frame, firewall, top of cowl, and underside of the hood I wanted to come up with a 30°. I used a flattening agent (SPI #950) and test sprayed a few mixes. I settled on 12.5% flattening agent (round up/down if you like, but that was just how the numbers easily worked out for the quantity I needed so I’m sticking with it).

I need to play around with things and get a 0° for the top of the dash (black interior in this ‘68) without going too far and getting the “gray” look. Not going for concourse or perfection, but figured that 3 different gloss levels out of the same can was a win in my book.

Pics of gloss/sheen rarely represent the finished product all that well but I’ll include some anyways. Pics might make it look like it has grain/peel, but it laid out extremely smooth. These were just taken and are 24hrs after spraying, so all flattening effects should be complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F4BE8BF-4122-48C1-8D1D-AAC2C22FE814.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	571956   Click image for larger version

Name:	C203A821-DF70-421C-829A-22E908BC78AA.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	571957   Click image for larger version

Name:	976D740A-12B6-4847-AE5D-279EE0960578.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	571959   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3C3D22E-A8A3-4B16-85B3-6B4DCEC740D3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	571961   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B8CE214-AA43-4F76-9F0B-6C6059ED6BD7.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	571962  

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry- I should have added that all surfaces were down to bare metal, scuffed with 80, 2 coats of epoxy, Fusor epoxy seam sealer, 1 coat of epoxy, then a final coat of flattened epoxy.

No reducer used because I didn’t want to complicate the flattening effects with another variable. Had to shoot 5-6psi above my usual higher end range to atomize everything enough to lay flat. The flattening agent is rather thick.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am surprised that flattening agent works with SPI epoxy. It was stated on the forum that it is not intended for use with epoxy. At least that is my recollection.

Don

Old 08-26-2021, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

I actually thought of trying it based off readings on the SPI forums, mainly based off a post by Barry: “ I get a lot of calls from people asking how to flatten my epoxy.
First answer is of course you can use flattening agent and a foot note it takes a very small amount.”

I messaged two of the guru’s over there that had mentioned doing it in the past, but nobody had any solid numbers or direction so I just started experimenting.

The SPI #950 that I mentioned above is no longer on the price sheets as of the past few years. I blieve SPI pulled the flattening agent to drastically reduce the number of calls on their tech line... lol. That’s the vibe I got from them on the phone at least. If you ask politely they will still sell it to you when you call! They still use the same product in-house. You will have to acknowledge that it is an “unsupported” product before they will sell it to you.

They are such a great group of people to deal with (besides having quality products). I wish more places had their level of customer service.

Transtar 6494 might provide similar results if the SPI product was actually unobtainable. (?)

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Entropy, is your '69 a Baltimore plant build?

Looking at your pics of the finish on the cowl, the finish appears too dull to me. I'm most involved with serious A-body restorations originally built in '69-70 out of Arlington plant, & '69-72 out of Fremont & Pontiac plants.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Entropy, is your '69 a Baltimore plant build?

Looking at your pics of the finish on the cowl, the finish appears too dull to me. I'm most involved with serious A-body restorations originally built in '69-70 out of Arlington plant, & '69-72 out of Fremont & Pontiac plants.
This one is a ‘68. I’ll have to check the paperwork on the build location. I spent so much time trying to figure out the dealership or general area it was originally sold from (the number I have for that goes nowhere) that I forgot the rest.

You’d be the perfect person to ask… Was the top of the cowl typically the 30% that is on the frame and firewall? I guess that would make sense, but I often see many with that area looking more like the 60%.

I’ll try to get some better representative pics when I can roll it outside into the sun. In that garage I’m either blasting it with too much light or working in nothing but shadows.