Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 02:41 AM
Suspended

Default 1967 428 ci Block vin and block installation Date in Vehicle

I am painting my engine block and have uncovered the Block Vin and Block installation Date. I think

the block installation date installed into a Vehicle would be the number in question here. How do

I read this Information. Inserting a photo of the location of both that and the vin number. Also I

made a clear drawing so there won't be any confusion, if the photo image is not suitable. I bought

the 1967 Pontiac 428 ci that is installed in a 1979 Pontiac TA, as a second hand project so I don't

no what the original Vehicle the motor belongs with. Please help me decode this mystery , It's been

7 years trying to figure it out. The number in the upper left corner is upside down why? Sideways

"P" means what? Block EUN upper right is understandable # 538897. YK code is Automatic 4bbl. Block

cast date code is D127 April 12 1967. Block 428 ci is # 9786135 . My research tells me that there

are 1024 YK code 428 ci HO Pontiac engines produced in 1967.They are designated as Special

Equipment and I want to no why?Now I pulled out recently a very worn out cam # 524886.This motor

has Tri-power Rochester carbs. I want to no if any body else that has the YK code ever pulled out a

cam like the one I pulled. This cam is known as a Tri-power exclusive cam from the factory.

Question is : Special Edition Mean, in my case # 524886 cam, Tri-power carbs. , y-branch exhaust

manifolds.We no that Pontiac stopped putting Tri-power on all but Corvetts and Corvair at some

time. We no that Tri-power was not offered in 1967.So mine is a 1966 intake and GTO carbs. with a

TH 400 Automatic Trans. The cam is 50's -60's and the carbs. are 65-66. All I can say is that I

have speculated on this for years but I have no proof , so I will leave it up to the forum for now

thank you in advance .Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Drawing  2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	572361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block vin.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	572362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo 1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	572363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo  5.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	572364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo  4.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	572365  

Old 09-03-2021, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 428 was a optional motor above the baseline 400 motors in the B body cars and in 67 could be had in both 2 bbl and 4 bbl versions in the B body Catalina model.

The optional 428 HO motor came with the 068 cam which as used in tripower motors in previous years.

The 428 HO motors with a 4 speed behind them also had a special valve spring package.

The HO motor also had the high performance long branch Exh Manifolds.

The HO motors also had 4 bolt Armasteel main caps.

Pontiac did not make the Corrvette nor the Corvair so I have no idea what your taking about with that other then it's true that Chevy with the 427 motor kept the tripower thing going thru 1969.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most likely;

1967 Late model Bonneville 428 HO with the TH400 coded "PC" Towing package and 3:42:1 posi rear.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
All I can say is that I have speculated on this for years but I have no proof , so I will leave it up to the forum for now

Proof of? What is it that you are speculating?

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 09-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can Mike post a picture so we can see what id is stamped on the cam?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 09-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is block still standard bore? I usually see numbers like the 2288 from machine shops that stamp a numeric control number on blocks and heads to identify them as they move through the shop. The Tri-Power and cam would also indicate that the engine has been worked over sometime in its life.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

McCarthy's book says a '67 YK 428 block was a 4 bolt main, single 4bbl maunal trans, 10.75cr engine with 670 heads and an 068 cam and was installed in Catalina, Bonneville, Executive, and Grand Prix autos. Based upon what McCarthy says, and IMO he has been pretty dependable, I personally would think that that engine came in a Grand Prix or Catalina 2+2; but one never knows. I doubt that very many, if any, Bonnevilles or Executives were ordered with any kind of manual trans in '67. One thing we do know is that the engine did NOT come with a tripower setup installed on it.

Last edited by 61-63; 09-03-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

I will add that the number above the YK is the engine unit number, not the VIN. Partial VIN stamping did not start until 1968.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:49 PM
Suspended

The 428 HO motors with a 4 speed behind them also had a special valve spring package. ANS: to this: Mine is automatic PC code TH 400. YK means automatic 4bbl most of the time or so I have red. I have dual springs 670 D -port Heads. . How do the manual vs auto springs differ? ANS. 2 Pontiac did not make the Corrvette nor the Corvair so I have no idea what your taking about with that other then it's true that Chevy with the 427 motor kept the tripower thing going thru 1969. GM stopped all Divisions in 1967 from using Tri-power so I red.Called an "edict".

Old 09-03-2021, 10:00 PM
Suspended

1967 Late model Bonneville 428 HO with the TH 400 coded "PC" Towing package and 3:42:1 posi rear. Mikes ans. to this : Since I have an automatic 1967 TH 400 behind this 1967 428 ci YK Block , "are you saying that "PC" also Means Towing package and 3:42:1 posi rear end in all vehicles receiving automatic Trans. carrying the "PC" designation ?

Old 09-03-2021, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Proof of? What is it that you are speculating? Mikes ans. to this: Speculate, form a theory or conjecture about a subject with out firm evidence. So in my case I speculated that the upside down numbers" 2288" that appear in the upper left hand corner area are The date that this engine was installed in a new vehicle? Since I am not sure I can only Speculate about the meaning of these numbers . So I am asking the forum to give me factual data on the subject so I won't have to speculate any longer .

Old 09-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Can Mike post a picture so we can see what id is stamped on the cam? Mikes ans. to this: There are Photo's all ready posted of the Block number in question . Now, the cam is #524886 that I pulled out . All the identifiers were on the cam and I don't have that info. handy , however I did keep that used cam .I do have the info. from the past when I took notes . Do you have a special interest in viewing the actual cam , because I can all ways dig it out If you think reason enough. Thanks Mike .

Old 09-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Suspended

Is block still standard bore? I usually see numbers like the 2288 from machine shops that stamp a numeric control number on blocks and heads to identify them as they move through the shop. The Tri-Power and cam would also indicate that the engine has been worked over sometime in its life. Mikes ans. to this , note it is better for me to copy and paste the answer to a question to have it in front of my face , so I can reply faster to each persons post. You are the second one to have that view. How do I no If the Pontiac employee himself stamped the Block. Also is the upper top left hand corner a place in 1967 that got stamped at all . Also were is the designated place to stamp the motor for the vehicle it was to go into in 1967? Since my Block Has the EUN # and not the vin as some one stated ,then how do we no if this particular 428 was ever installed in any vehicle? As for the bore , I think the former owner might have changed the Head gaskets because they look to fresh not to have been replaced. I no he put a new timing gear set and chain and oil pan gaskets. So the answer is I don't no if this has been bored or touched. The man I bought this car and engine said the motor is Stock. That answer is so vague that I never under stood what he meant . Stock, now means he changed a few gaskets ran it and put it in a 1979 Pontiac TA and never started it after that . He never finished the project so I took over and put a "041" cam , Johnson lifters , HD push rods chrome molly , oil pump and rebuilt the Tri-powers. And everything else .The story he was told that moon shiners in the Caroline- rs ran the 428 ci Pontiac engine in a truck and went over the edge of a cliff and the motor was retrieved and then sold to my friend. Who knows could have Nascar Provenance ?

Old 09-03-2021, 11:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54nomore View Post
I will add that the number above the YK is the engine unit number, not the VIN. Partial VIN stamping did not start until 1968.
Mike said to see post 13 please and tell me what you think please . Thank you and all for your help in advance Mike out.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:19 AM
Suspended

I am transferring info . from another conversation I had withe one of the forum members John Wallace , so I don't have to repeat all this research, please bare with me . HERE: John , I thought at first that the "2288" could be:
2 = Feb
28 = 28th day
8 = 1968
Date code engine is = D127
D = April
Day of month = 12
Year motor was cast = 1967
Note: if this is true , the motor was on the shelf for 10 months before it went into a full body Pontiac vehicle.Michael
John said : I'm thinking more that it is a stamping of a mechanic business. They probably stamped it to ID the

block/engine when they did work to it. Like adding the cam and Tri-power. If it is a date stamp, probably from a mechanic for when they did the work..

Mike said :The # "2288" being upside down could that be what the factory did to show what vehicle the engine was to go in? What is the meaning of the "P", could it be it stands for Pontiac.

Mike said : Also could the markings "2288" have been placed on this block by a Pontiac employee prier to the installation into one of the full size Vehicles.

John said: No, they don't keep engines around at the plant from previous years.Probably illegal to use a prior year engine in a newer vehicle. Same would apply to the parts. Doesn't mean that anyone else could have changed it after it was sold.

Mike said: I seemed to have red that the Pontiac motors , the 400's were made in a weekend and installed over time latter into Firebirds only until they ran out.

John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

In 1978, Pontiac knew they were going to drop the 400. They cast some blocks only to be used in 1979 for the TA and Formula with the WS6/W72 option. They used internal parts and heads/intake and emissions that were specific for 1979. (not from previous years)

Mike asks: Also could the markings"2288" have been installed by a (Pontiac employee) prier to the installation of this 428 HO into one of the full size Vehicles. QUESTION REPEAT: is this some thing the factory wrote on my block or"How would I no when the motor was installed into a Full size vehicle or if this engine was ever installed"? The area that the upside down "2288" is in,is that the correct area that the Date of installation into a vehicle was stamped from the Factory in 1967 and did the factory stamp it upside down on purpose?

Mike new Thread: repeat question edited so it can be understood better: I am painting my engine block and have uncovered the Block EuN (engine unit number) and Block

installation Date possibly written upside down plus the YK code.I think the block installation date

installed into a Vehicle would be the number in question here. How do I read this Information.I am

Inserting a photo of the location of both EUN,YK code and an (in question) upside down "2288"

number. Also I made a clear drawing so there won't be any confusion,if the photo image is not

suitable.I bought the 1967 Pontiac 428 HO ci that is installed in a 1979 Pontiac TA,as a second

hand project so I don't know what the original Vehicle the motor belongs with.Please help me decode

this mystery,It's been 7 years trying to figure it out.The number in the upper left corner is

upside down why? Sideways"P" means what? Block EUN (upper right) is understandable,EUN #538897.YK

code is Automatic 4bbl. Block cast date code is D127 means April 12 1967. Block 428 HO ci is #

9786135 casting number.My research tells me that there are 1024 YK code 428 ci HO Pontiac engines

produced in 1967.They are designated as "Special Equipment" and I want to no why?Now I pulled out

recently a very worn out cam # 524886.This motor has Tri-power Rochester carbs.I want to know if

any body else that has the YK code ever pulled out a cam like the one I pulled. This cam is known

as a Tri-power "exclusive cam" from the factory.Question is:"Special Equipment" Means what,in my

case installed is one # 524886 cam, Tri-power carbs. and Y-branch exhaust manifolds,I installed

modern day Headers instead. We know that Pontiac stopped putting Tri-power on all but Corvetts and

Corvair at some time due to a GM edict that came down from the Brass. We know that Tri-power was

not offered in 1967.So mine has a 1966 intake and GTO carbs. with a "PC"code TH 400 Automatic

Trans. The cam is 50's -60's and the carbs. are 65-66. All I can say is that I have speculated on

this for years but I have no proof,so I will leave it up to the forum for now. Thank you in advance

.Michael.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:21 AM
Suspended

Question from a forum member:Is block still standard bore? I usually see numbers like the "2288"

from machine shops that stamp a numeric control number on blocks and heads to identify them as they

move through the shop. The Tri-Power and cam would also indicate that the engine has been worked

over sometime in its life. MIKES ANSWER to this,NOTE: It is better for me to copy and paste the

answer to a question and to have it in front of my face,so I can reply faster to each persons post.

You are the second one to have that view."How do I no If the Pontiac employee himself stamped the

Block". Also,is the upper top left hand corner a place in 1967 that got stamped at all? Also were

is the designated place to stamp the motor for the vehicle it was to go into in 1967? Since my

Block Has the EUN # and "not" the vin # as some one stated.Then "How do we know if this particular

428 ci HO was ever installed in any vehicle at all? As for the bore,I think the former owner might

have changed the Head gaskets because they look to fresh not to have been replaced. I know he put a

new timing gear set and chain and oil pan gaskets. So the answer is "I don't know if this has been

bored out in the piston area or not or touched".The man I bought this car and engine said "the

motor is Stock". That answer is so vague that I never under stood what he meant.Stock, "now means:

he changed a few gaskets ran it and put it in a 1979 Pontiac TA and never started it after that".

He never finished the project so I took over and put a "041" cam , Johnson lifters , HD push rods

chrome molly, oil pump and rebuilt the Tri-powers. And everything else .The story he was told is

that moon shiners in the Caroline- rs ran the 428 HO ci Pontiac engine in a truck and went over

the edge of a cliff and the motor was retrieved and then sold to my friend. Who knows this engine

could have Nascar Provenance?

Old 09-04-2021, 06:24 AM
Suspended

My block has 3 freeze plugs and 28 is on the exterior of the block , not inside .
2 288 538897 P YK GM3 , All this is on the Passenger side font under the head on the

block. I have been trying to figure it out from info. on line .It does not follow the rules that I

have red. Must be early casting in the production year . Block cast date is D127 April 12 1967 ,

When does production start in 1967 anyway? I break this down as 2 is Pontiac, 288 is the Julian

production date of the model year that the engine was to be installed in a vehicle.Guess 2.5

months at the end of 1967 production run ! I Went like this : 365-288=77 days left in the year. 77

-31=46-31=15 days or half a month. So two 31 day months plus 15 day half month equals 2 1/2

months total, at the end of the year. Thus, If you no when the production year began in 1967 to the

end of the production year plus this is the Julian system being used at the time. Then maybe

Pontiac went from calendar year to year with the Julian system? Perhaps the newer system was not in

play yet. Now, the P = originating assembly plant that built the engine, so please look up the

plant that carries the "P" designation. My guess is Pontiac Michigan. Let me no if you can figure

this one out , I have been piecing this answer together for years .Michael

Old 09-04-2021, 06:42 AM
Suspended

John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Yes, the YK would have the special exhaust manifolds originally and is a 428 HO.

Could have been a 2+2, or GP or even Bonneville possibly. Unfortunately no way of knowing without

the VIN of the original car. 1967 did not have the partial VIN on it like 1968 and newer engines.

Is the 28 of the 288 you wrote on the lifter bore area? Not sure what those numbers are. GM3 is

part of the casting line where the block was made.

Mike said : There is one more possibility and that this motor was factory built with the # 524886 cam and

Tri-power intake and Y-branch exhaust manifolds. Sat on the shelf through out the "edict" on "no"

Tri-power on any vehicles but Corvette's and Corvair. That's what "special equipment" means. Did

all the YK code have these parts. You have the means to question the forum members with the YK

codes , so ask them please. I would like to no if others have had this cam installed in their

vehicle or pulled one out like it in the past . It is easy to install a Tri-power intake and carbs.

or Y-branch exhaust on a vehicle ,but that "cam" is not easily installed and must be from the

factory. I can tell you this :The story of my motor is that it was used to moon shine in the

Caroliners but went over a cliff and the motor was pulled from a truck at the time that it was

installed in. Could have NASCAR provenance for all I no.This cam # 524886 is the only one in any

list that I found on the internet that specifically is designated for Tri-power, why is that? In my

own experience I can tell you that I think Pontiac engineers hit a home run in it's design. I went

from 90 mph ( when this cam,Torque converter and secondaries kicked in simultaneously) up to 120

mph and threw me against the seat. After that experience were it just fell on it's face, then went

up to 130 slowly and maxed out. I had one inch phenolics under the carbs. , up jetted them and

completely rebuilt them.

Mike said :My block has 3 freeze plugs and 28 is on the exterior of the block , not inside .
2 288 538897 P YK GM3 , All this is on the Passenger side font under the head on the

block. I have been trying to figure it out from info. on line .It does not follow the rules that I

have red. Must be early casting in the production year . Block cast date is D127 April 12 1967 ,

When does production start in 1967 anyway? I break this down as 2 is Pontiac, 288 is the Julian

production date of the model year that the engine was to be installed in a vehicle.Guess 2.5

months at the end of 1967 production run ! I Went like this : 365-288=77 days left in the year. 77

-31=46-31=15 days or half a month. So two 31 day months plus 15 day half month equals 2 1/2

months total, at the end of the year. Thus, If you no when the production year began in 1967 to the

end of the production year plus this is the Julian system being used at the time. Then maybe

Pontiac went from calendar year to year with the Julian system? Perhaps the newer system was not in

play yet. Now, the P = originating assembly plant that built the engine, so please look up the

plant that carries the "P" designation. My guess is Pontiac Michigan. Let me no if you can figure

this one out , I have been piecing this answer together for years .Michael

I was able to find my info . the way you dicribed . add in mine that it is an" HO" , according to

my research there are 1045 YK 1967 428 Pontiac blocks produced that year. I am thinking they would

have had the Long Branch exhaust Maifolds for performance . I can only guess that mine was in a (2+

2) ?

John ,How do you read this ? My 1967 Pontiac Block Info. 2 288 538897 P YK GM3 , and

from this info. can you tell me what my engine went into originally . Thanks in advance Michael

John, I found a document that shows that there are 1045 YK code 1967 428 ci Pontiac engines with"

special equipment" .What is that "special equipment".

I submitted the information a couple of times over the years and I can't find that info. anymore.

Michael Boscarino 1967 428 HO YK A 10.75 CAM 524886 670 3-2 I found additional information

YK in 1967 is 1 of 1045 with special equipment , does that mean y-branch exhaust or is the

Tri-power cam in mine special? Fact is they stopped using Tri-power in 1966 so why does mine have

this cam and 3-2 carbs.

On your engine, I'd say someone at some time put the cam and Tripower on the engine. Probably

looking for more HP? The cam # you posted is for 1956 to 1962 Tripower engines. The intake will

have a date code that will give the year it was made.

Thanks for the other information.

--
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Yes, the YK would have the special exhaust manifolds originally and is a 428 HO.

Could have been a 2+2, or GP or even Bonneville possibly. Unfortunately no way of knowing without

the VIN of the original car. 1967 did not have the partial VIN on it like 1968 and newer engines.

Is the 28 of the 288 you wrote on the lifter bore area? Not sure what those numbers are. GM3 is

part of the casting line where the block was made.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I’am out !
I am not reading thru all of this!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Default Special equipment 1967 Pontiac 428 ci HO Document

I want to share these Documents , took the duration of the last 7 years to come up with these over the internet, and I saved a lot more .The Block EUN is a picture of the 428 ci Ho using a camera , not my cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine ID.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	572406   Click image for larger version

Name:	PONTIAC ENGINE PRODUCTION  2 DLL_2932Lewis_Cary-Car_Restore-2-18-11.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	572407   Click image for larger version

Name:	6607GrandPrix.jpg
Views:	142