Old 09-19-2021, 11:59 AM
Senior Chief

Default Prep For Repaint - What Should I Do?

I'm not an auto body man by any stretch of the imagination, so my plan is to find a reputable shop to do a repaint & color change on my car.

I've seen the results of a lack of prep, over-sprays, etc on other cars and want to avoid the mistakes that lead to a crappy looking job. So my question is, what parts should I remove / what steps should I take to help the job (and hopefully reduce costs) before I send it to the paint shop?

I assume things like remove bumpers, mirrors, seats & carpet. Not real comfortable with removing body trim for fear that I'll bend / ding / destroy the pieces.

Also concerned with over-spray in the engine compartment - how do you prevent that? How do you protect the convertible top during all this?

Obviously some newbie questions here but I want the repaint to come out right.

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd
Old 09-19-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any shop worth any recommendations….should be able to figure out how to wrap an engine bay and convertible top. Remove as much as your comfortable with..

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Tim66
Default repaint

The only way to know for sure is to check before they paint.There is alot of prep work to be done before paint,sanding fixing dents,scratches,priming ,masking tapeing removing, retapeing and masking.There is alot that goes into even a repaint,if you're worried ask if you can check before they paint.Good luck.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The inside work spaces of any good bodyshop are dirty, and very dusty places. The best thing that you can do if you are not there and actually helping them work on your car is to remove and store anything that you want to protect. This would include the engine, the dash bezel including the dash pad and the gauges, also the radio. A convertible top will unbolt from the rear well area, not that it's an easy remove, but counter that with the work it's going to take to remove all the dust and excess primer overspray off of your top and the folding mechanism after the car comes back freshly painted. As much chrome trim and marker lights (anything that has edges that touch paint) should be removed and stored for the best possible outcome. Door handles; front and rear bumpers, the trim where the top boot snaps onto, all of those pieces can be removed. Remember when GM painted your car there was nothing else on the body, no glass, no interior, no wiring. No driveline. The body was not even set on the frame in most cases.