Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-25-2021, 09:41 PM
Senior Chief

I don’t need him either. I’m simply stating my experience too.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like allot about what Justin has accomplished and continues to do. In the video posted, he nips around the edges of why he is staying with his current hardware but doesn't come right out and shout it. It's not only very expensive to change engine platforms but also the running characteristics, (torque and rpm) could change radically with major changes to the engine platform. He and his crew, with the help of the Butlers and others have found a way to make enough power to keep him in the game. And he is pretty reliable to boot. Running a production based engine and a Pontiac of all things give him interesting things to talk about and a tiny cult following among the Pontiac faithful. He knows the Pontiac engine very well, he is very comfortable with it and he has allot of support pieces to keep it going. I feel confident he would help a fellow Pontiac racer at the track if they needed a part or some help, like most of us would. He has never done anything I am aware of to hurt our hobby, and has expanded the Pontiac name and reputation in areas and age groups where little was known about the Pontiac engine and even that Pontiac made their own engine decades ago.

About the only comment I would not agree with is a comparison of Big Chief to Arnie Beswick. Maybe if Justin stays with it another 40 years and actually wins some National Sanctioned Events and ends up in a dozen motorsports related Halls Of Fame. Then possibly he could be referred to in the same type of league with Mr. Beswick. A brief look through Arnies's recent Biography will shed plenty of light on that subject.

I hope he can up his game with fresh hardware and stay competitive with all the billet dedicated race engines he has to race against. His driving skills and feel for the car and that Pontiac engine have served him well.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:14 PM
Boost Engineer

I have only spoken, (by phone) with Justin, once I believe.
Appeared to be a straight up type of guy. The Butlers like him.
He was at a INDY PRI show early on in the Street Outlaws TV show days
and was constantly doing interviews at the show.
Daddy Dave and Shawn (Murder Nova) were by their cars and I talked to them
for several hours. Nice people.

So I really have no reference for an opinion on Justin except by word of mouth from
the Butlers and Marty Palbykin. The Black GTO was Marty's Pro Mod for many years
before Marty sold it to Justin.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago when Justin and myself both had Cars that ran roughly the same ET before the show but around the same time as the Pinks shows they were on he came to Tulsa to watch my car run...we hung out and he is a straight up good guy...I know here every time I take my car out to something other than an all Pontiac type race I get asked if I know Big Chief. He is very well known and has done a lot for racing...so much that i think it would just about be dead as far as spectators had it not been for the “Street Outlaws” and other spin off shows.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pic pretty much sums it up. (2019)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 13-22-03 Big chief testing the crow.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	573843  

Old 09-26-2021, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool seeing a Pontiac get time on the big stage. Quit watching a long time ago. Watching ten guys race each other over and over again is SERIOUSLY LAME! Making it out to be such a huge honor to be "at the top of the list". BFD! So fake. I was done when Big Chief raced against Fast N' Loud. Terrible fake drama...

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

I lost interest in the show when Farmtruck and Asian started getting so much attention doing ignorant stuff...As for the list racing part of it, well, that wasnt so bad...I dont really know of too many drag racing classes that have more than 10-12 truly competitive cars trying for the top spot...

The Following User Says Thank You to opeliac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2021, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
He said " small block Pontiac"..lmao. really!
He (they) also talked about the 383 being from a 66 Camaro.

Like I always say…”Red sky at night, Sailors take warning…lol

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post
He (they) also talked about the 383 being from a 66 Camaro.

Like I always say…”Red sky at night, Sailors take warning…lol
They were clearly joking about that!

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
The Following User Says Thank You to ta man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2021, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But every time you race “you might die” and you got to be a big family

Old 10-01-2021, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
But every time you race “you might die” and you got to be a big family
Not wrong...

Old 10-03-2021, 11:54 AM
Senior Chief

the show is/was entertaining. Now back to the real world...what average folk could afford to upkeep something like that on a regular basis $$$$$$ Cool to see but unrealistic to be had. Kinda like ASS MONKEY building a hot rod in 3 weeks....yeah more like 6 months squeezed into 1 hr of tape.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really liked it a few years back more racing less bs now it’s just the opposite. I record it now and don’t watch it on Monday night anymore. I FF the show from last week and it was all talk for the first 15 minutes don’t care to hear JJ tell you the same stuff he said the week before and before and before.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I like allot about what Justin has accomplished and continues to do. In the video posted, he nips around the edges of why he is staying with his current hardware but doesn't come right out and shout it. It's not only very expensive to change engine platforms but also the running characteristics, (torque and rpm) could change radically with major changes to the engine platform. He and his crew, with the help of the Butlers and others have found a way to make enough power to keep him in the game. And he is pretty reliable to boot. Running a production based engine and a Pontiac of all things give him interesting things to talk about and a tiny cult following among the Pontiac faithful. He knows the Pontiac engine very well, he is very comfortable with it and he has allot of support pieces to keep it going. I feel confident he would help a fellow Pontiac racer at the track if they needed a part or some help, like most of us would. He has never done anything I am aware of to hurt our hobby, and has expanded the Pontiac name and reputation in areas and age groups where little was known about the Pontiac engine and even that Pontiac made their own engine decades ago.

About the only comment I would not agree with is a comparison of Big Chief to Arnie Beswick. Maybe if Justin stays with it another 40 years and actually wins some National Sanctioned Events and ends up in a dozen motorsports related Halls Of Fame. Then possibly he could be referred to in the same type of league with Mr. Beswick. A brief look through Arnies's recent Biography will shed plenty of light on that subject.

I hope he can up his game with fresh hardware and stay competitive with all the billet dedicated race engines he has to race against. His driving skills and feel for the car and that Pontiac engine have served him well.
... yeah, it's called Nitro Methane lol... and fuel chilling machines lol