Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 PM

Default Are there still any Pontiac clubs in the Phoenix AZ area?

Many years ago I briefly did some meetups with a local group here in Phx. However those fizzled out after awhile and then I needed to spend more time for work and family so my Pontiac time went away and the car has been doing much more sitting than driving for the past 4-5 years. But I'd like to see if anyone in the Phx area is aware of any Pontiac groups here anymore.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:27 PM

Curious too. I see a few Poncho lovers at the Saturday evening get together @ 67th ave & Bell rd. But am hoping to rub shoulders (so to speak) with a few more.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:59 PM

There is also a car show every Saturday evening at the “Rock ‘n’ Roll” McDonald’s at the Talking Stick Pavilions (Indian Bend and the 101) in Scottsdale. I think it is on hold due to COVID. There’s usually a handful of Trans Ams depending on the time of year. I try to get out there once a month. Hope to see you there later this year, I’ll be in one of the gold 78 Special editions.
TacoTownCharlie

Old 02-08-2021, 04:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like all of us a ready to get back on the road and shows. I know there is a Pontiac chapter here. I might try to reach out and see what they have going on. I'm in Goodyear. We should find a place we can meet up? Start a new post with a place day and time. See how many Poncho people want to join us. I'm in!!!
Scott in Goodyear

1967 Bonneville Brougham 2 dr. hardtop. 1969 AMC Rebel SST wagon-sold
Old 02-10-2021, 12:20 AM

Hello

I just joined Desert Renegades-might try checking this out. Seems active- getting notices for all kinds of shows and stuff.

PS I'm in Tolleson and Fountain Hills

http://pontiacclubofphoenix.org/

1970 LeMans Sport / 455 / TH350 / 3:42 Posi
Old 02-10-2021, 04:52 PM

Nice to see that there are a few folks still here in the Phx area. I am totally down for getting together a group and hitting some shows once things get back to something more normal. I did hear that the Pavilions show had been paused due to the recent spike but have not heard any news or info on when or if it will resume. Back when I first got my car there was a small group getting together that was put together by Steve Barcak, the guy that runs Pontiac Heaven. It slowly died off after a year or so and I got busy with life and have not had much time for the vert until recently.

It will be a bit until I am able to take the car out to shows or meetups as I just noticed this last month that the gas tank has developed a leak and I'm in the process of sourcing the parts to fix that. Plus I have not had the car registered for a few years now and will need to get that done too.

If anyone knows of a show or is going to one post it up here in this thread or forum section and we'll see who can go.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:13 PM

COVID has been a bastard- let my registration lapse on my LeMans- also trying to get the car to Tim Blattner to get the fuel system and mounts done.

From an Email I got-There's some planning for end of summer coming up

1). To Celebrate the 40th year of POCI participation, we are planning an All Pontiac show tentatively for Saturday, Nov 6th at Palm Creek RV in Casa Grande. This would be a jointly planned event between Renegades and The Tucson Chapter 29 group. Details to come but looking at an 11-3 event that will not have Judging. Thom Sherwood is working with the coordinator at Palm Creek. A handful of us attended a fun day there last Feb and had a nice day. Permits are depending on COVID status at that time so stay tuned.

2) The other item to discuss is a TENTATIVE concept of a Western Regional all Pontiac event this coming September 23-26 in Williams Arizona.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:15 PM

I totally agree, covid has massively disrupted many simple things that we had the ability to do with little concern or thought. Thanks for the info on those two possible events later this year. I could never get my car to the Williams event, between the motor build, and final drive ratio my car is screaming down the freeway at 3500 RPM at 65 MPH. She was put together to be more a strip, stoplight to stoplight driver not a freeway cruiser. Casa Grande is pretty much pushing the limit but doable for my car in terms of range.

What in your fuel system are you needing to repair?

Old 02-11-2021, 04:08 PM

Arizona clubs listed on the POCI website:

Arizona Chapter (AZ)
Bob Francis [ tucfrancis@gmail.com ]
5821 West Belmont Road
Tucson AZ 85743 US
Web: http://www.poci-azch29.com
Phone: 520-579-8288
President: Bob Francis [ tucfrancis@gmail.com ]
Newsletter: David Green [ alpdavegre@msn.com ]

Desert Renegades of Arizona (AZ)
Tom Knecht [ tom.knecht@simpsonnorton.com ]
Web: http://pontiacclubofphoenix.org
Phone: 602-708-6960
President: Tom Knecht [ tom.knecht@simpsonnorton.com ]
Newsletter: Matt Punches [ punches.matt@gmail.com ]

Firebird Chapter
Jerry Giesinger [ sec.poci.firebird.chapter@gmail.com. ]
9621 E Eddystone Ct
Sun Lakes AZ 85248 US
Phone: (901) 674-7503 Jerry
President: John Froehle [ jbfroehle@gmail.com ]
Newsletter: Nathan Brunner [ editor.poci.firebird.chapter@gmail.com ]

Old 02-11-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamans71 View Post
I totally agree, covid has massively disrupted many simple things that we had the ability to do with little concern or thought. Thanks for the info on those two possible events later this year. I could never get my car to the Williams event, between the motor build, and final drive ratio my car is screaming down the freeway at 3500 RPM at 65 MPH. She was put together to be more a strip, stoplight to stoplight driver not a freeway cruiser. Casa Grande is pretty much pushing the limit but doable for my car in terms of range.

What in your fuel system are you needing to repair?
Actually, I'm swapping everything over to in tank electric w/ large feed and return lines. Currently just a factory style mechanical + Qjet

Trying to get this thing so I could drive it anywhere without worrying about it ever again + no fuel starvation no matter what kind of motor winds up in there. Current engine is iffy with it as-is

Old 02-11-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Arizona clubs listed on the POCI website:

Arizona Chapter (AZ)
Bob Francis [ tucfrancis@gmail.com ]
5821 West Belmont Road
Tucson AZ 85743 US
Web: http://www.poci-azch29.com
Phone: 520-579-8288
President: Bob Francis [ tucfrancis@gmail.com ]
Newsletter: David Green [ alpdavegre@msn.com ]

Desert Renegades of Arizona (AZ)
Tom Knecht [ tom.knecht@simpsonnorton.com ]
Web: http://pontiacclubofphoenix.org
Phone: 602-708-6960
President: Tom Knecht [ tom.knecht@simpsonnorton.com ]
Newsletter: Matt Punches [ punches.matt@gmail.com ]

Firebird Chapter
Jerry Giesinger [ sec.poci.firebird.chapter@gmail.com. ]
9621 E Eddystone Ct
Sun Lakes AZ 85248 US
Phone: (901) 674-7503 Jerry
President: John Froehle [ jbfroehle@gmail.com ]
Newsletter: Nathan Brunner [ editor.poci.firebird.chapter@gmail.com ]

Thanks Stuart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Lemon View Post
Actually, I'm swapping everything over to in tank electric w/ large feed and return lines. Currently just a factory style mechanical + Qjet

Trying to get this thing so I could drive it anywhere without worrying about it ever again + no fuel starvation no matter what kind of motor winds up in there. Current engine is iffy with it as-is
Sounds like you and I are doing the very same thing. I have been very interested in going to an EFI setup for some time for the very same reason of better drivability with hopefully fewer issues. And as it happens I just noticed that my gas tank is leaking. Went into the garage a few weeks ago and noticed a very strong gas odor. Thought maybe I had not put the cap on right but after some looking around I found that areas under the straps are wet. So I just ordered a new tank, pump, sending unit, fittings and hoses to go ahead and swap that out. Expensive but kind of a blessing too as I would rather have the pump in the tank which would have required some cutting on the old tank. So by the time I figure the costs to clean the old one and render it safe to modify the new tank wasn't that much more.

The only thing I'm not sure on yet is how to set the system up for the current carb setup as this unexpected tank expense will delay the EFI for a little bit longer. I'll need to make sure I'm not flooding the carb so I am guessing I'll need some sort of regulator for that.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Pavilions is scheduled to start back up towards the end of this month with limited cars, and possibly after a couple of months the plan is to get back to normal. Pontiac night is always the 2nd Saturday of the month and the group still plans to have it there, but again it might take a few months for that to get back to normal.
Until that happens they have been having their all Pontiac cruises lately in Mesa at another local cruise there. Last Saturday Mark and Tom announced they were having an all Pontiac cruise at 67th and Bell as well. May have been a one time deal for a large Pontiac gathering, but that cruise has been going strong throughout the beer virus deal if you're looking for a place to hang.

Desert Renegades are still around in Phoenix. They work with the Tucson chapter frequently for local shows and events. They just announced they are having an all Pontiac show scheduled later this year November 6th in Casa Grand. They also announced the Western Regional All Pontiac Event September 23-26 held in Williams Arizona this year.
Tom Knecht is a super nice guy, if you contact him via email (provided in your post) he'll put you on the mailing list and you'll get all the updates via email of any Pontiac happenings going on around Arizona.

They usually also organize a big Rt 66 cruise every year. I haven't heard yet a date on that one. Tom also organizes an all BOP show at the Pavilions every year, usually early spring, a judged event, not the usual Saturday night cruise, but I haven't heard of a date or if it's going to happen yet this year or not.

Unfortunately the Pavilions is on Salt River Reservation land and the Indians have been extremely strict, more so than the city of Phoenix. So all that stuff in the Pavilions area right now is in limbo.

Of course there is also Pontiac Heaven that Steve puts on at Wildhorse Pass dragstrip, and the next one is scheduled for November.

There are also usually a bunch of them at Goodguys, and they also have a swap space there. The next Goodguys is scheduled for April 16th-18th at Westworld.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-19-2021, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the updates on the Pavilions, good to know that it is planning on continuing on. And for the additional info on around town events, I'll connect with Tom and see about getting on that email list too.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just told the 2021 Bandit run is a go. June 9th through the 20th. Driving from Phoenix to Lincoln Nebraska, Then on to Wisconsin Dells and back to Phoenix. Any Pontiac can participate. Anyone interested contact Tom.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:02 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

After doing the 2014 Bandit Run in Wangers' Bandit Suburban, I recommend it to any Pontiac fan.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyTA View Post
Curious too. I see a few Poncho lovers at the Saturday evening get together @ 67th ave & Bell rd. But am hoping to rub shoulders (so to speak) with a few more.
I am usually there, but I don't always drive a Pontiac.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:20 PM

That Bandit run would be a blast, sadly not something I could do until I'm retired as I could not take that much time away from my business.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In case you haven't gotten updates yet here are some things coming up.

March 12th Friday night cruise
American Legion Post 35 5:30 to 8pm
2240 West Chandler Blvd. On Chandler just west of Dobson.
Full bar and food available.
Pontiac club members plan to be there.

March 14th Sunday
Phil's Filling Station in Fountain Hills.
Setting aside 40 seats for Pontiac people for an 8:30 Breakfast
Contact pajeb@aol.com to reserve a breakfast spot.
Caravan meeting at 8am on Shea Blvd about 1/4 mile North of the Beeline Highway. There are two parking lots for a former Filiberto's and Arbys on the East side of the road. Meet and leave at 8am and cruise to Phil's as a group. About a 4 mile journey. If you can't make the meet time they will be saving spots for Pontiacs for 1 hour.

March 27th Saturday
Cops Car Show San Tan Valley
Meeting at Hampton Inn and Suites off Highway 60 and Baseline and then cruising to the event. Meeting on the South side of the building and leaving at 8am from Hampton. Email the same address above if you want registration forms. $25 pre registration, benefitting first responders. It's a pretty nice show.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:41 AM

Thanks for those updates, I did reach out to Tom via email but never got a reply. I will stop by the Mar 12th cruise night for sure, however sans my Pontiac as I'm still waiting on parts to finish up the new fuel tank install. No chance of making it to the Mar 14th event for that reason, but if I have the vert back together in time maybe the Mar 27th show in San Tan.