Old 07-25-2022, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default i want to get my ac running 72 lemans, need part sources and advice

I want to get my ac running, the shop told me i need a new compressor, poa valve and expansion valve. i don't know if its better to convert to the 134 or keep the r-12. Any good sources for parts? Do I need new hoses? The ac guy said it would be cheaper for to order the parts as he would have to mark them up and her would most likely buy them from the same sources. Oddly he didn't recommend replacing the dryer which i read is a must. Im a noob with this stuff and did a little searching but didnt find all the info i was looking for.

Thank you for any advice, pete

Old 07-28-2022, 07:17 AM

Stay with R12...pull a vacuum on it and see if it leaks...at a minimum replace the dryer.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely change the dryer and suck it down. You can put a pressure switch in and make your R12 system cycle like a new car with correct pressure switch. Does compressor have oil, does it spin? Does clutch work?

Old 08-01-2022, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced everything on my 72. I used Old Air a division of Classic Air. But, I didn't have a condenser, figured my compressor needed rebuilding, wasn't sure of condition of evaporator or poa valve or drier. Needed some brackets. My car was apart when I bought, so I had no history. I now have a functioning, cold blowing AC system that runs off about 5 hp rather than about 15 hp. It uses 134a. I also see that they rebuild compressors and poa valves if you go that way.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
I replaced everything on my 72. I used Old Air a division of Classic Air. But, I didn't have a condenser, figured my compressor needed rebuilding, wasn't sure of condition of evaporator or poa valve or drier. Needed some brackets. My car was apart when I bought, so I had no history. I now have a functioning, cold blowing AC system that runs off about 5 hp rather than about 15 hp. It uses 134a. I also see that they rebuild compressors and poa valves if you go that way.
Did you use your stock evap case and inside controls? pic?

Old 08-02-2022, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did use my stock evap case and all inside controls. Nothing changed. The system was a direct bolt in. The only thing that looks different is the compressor and brackets for it. Very easy to install everything and I have NEVER messed with AC stuff before. I had it evacuated and charged at the local Chevy dealership and it was all good. Plus, it only cost $140. I was shocked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02449.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	595639   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02450.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	595640  

Last edited by tjs72lemans; 08-02-2022 at 04:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have a link? sounds like a great deal.