Old 08-31-2022, 12:36 PM

Default A/C liquid sealant

Anyone use or have luck with stuff like AC Pro Super seal. It claims to seal some small metal line leaks. I have been working on adding AC to my 79 Chevy truck and wouldn't you know it the only part that is not new the evaporator is leaking. I bought one of those AC detectors that beep when a leak is detected and it seems evap is bad. The evaporator was an aftermarket A-R-A kit that added AC to trucks that only came with heat from the factory. ARA is no longer around so I can not just order a new evaporator and install. The evaporator was a bear to get it to fit behind the dash, I think it is leaking behind one of the cooper coil bends. I will probably have to remove it and see if a radiator shop could repair it or just try and find a different aftermarket evap. I actually made all my own AC lines for this system, what a bummer.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had some type of a/c sealant work on a small leak before. I would think the evaporator is an ideal spot for it, due to it being the lowest pressure part of the system (when the a/c is running). Word of caution; if you have a recovery/recycle machine, the leak sealant can gum up the solenoids if you recover through the machine. Mine blows out pressure through the oil recovery can once in awhile because I recovered from someone who had dumped in a can of R-134a with stop leak from a parts store.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

any leak sealer will be hit or miss, all depends on how bad the leak is & where. i have use the a/c pro sealer/134 in the big black can in a jeep cherokee 4.0 i had for almost 20 years as a daily driver. towards the last 5-7 years the system developed a small slow leak, i could charge it with normal refrigerant at the beginning of summer & it would last all season, but by the next summer it would need recharged again. i never looked for the leak since a 1lb can was $5 & easy to charge.

i tried the a/c pro one year & it lasted for 2-3 more seasons, i sold it at the end of the 3rd year & it was still working good. for $20 or less its worth a try & you get a nice reusable hose for future charging.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:44 AM

Well I tried it last night, it cost 30 from Wally world. So far so good I drove around and let it circulate for about 30 minutes as directions stated. I thought I could actually feel air getting colder (I know more air passing condenser does that) the longer I drove truck but thermometer read about 55. I do not have all my AC vent hoses hooked up yet but truck seemed cool to cold. It should get colder with pressures rising correct, meaning the system is sealed/sealing? I need to hook gauges up again to see where readings are after last nights drive. When adding Freon I was getting about 25 on low side and about 160 on the high. The temperature outside was about 83 degrees. Do those readings sound about right or what should I be shooting for low and high sides readings?

Old 09-01-2022, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like to see more like 35-40 on the low side on Phoenix summer days, and the high side usually runs around 235-240 at the same time. At 25, I'd be thinking I was slightly undercharged.... maybe with your elevation and lower summer temps, 25 is enough?