67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Friend bought 1968 RAI Firebird ragtop

Needs resto, and missing engine and tranny. Any leads for correct parts? I don't have date codes so let's assume that's not an issue at the moment.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow really nice car . Probably gonna need a. SR. Or a correct coded block from late 67 I’d guess or maybe a C118 but those are pricey because they go to RAII cars also.

It’s a blessing and a curse having a rare car . Many will tell you that I’m sure.especially if you have other things soaking up $$ in your life .
There’s people that have what you need it’s just getting them to part with them. What trans is it? Just saw heads and intake for sale last week probably either someone here or on eBay.

He has the important part right now which is the car .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-27-2022, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree this is a blessing and a curse. If the plan is to get all the uber rare parts with correct date codes on a 50 year old car, you're going to pay bank and probably never find them all. In the end, the car is never going to be "numbers matching" though it could be numbers correct. When completed, the value between numbers matching and numbers correct just isn't worth it IMO. What I would do is target the heads. If you end up with a plain Jane block and RAI heads and exhaust, that would be cool. If you ended up with a generic 400 with Edelbrock heads with repro round port exhaust and an aftermarket Ram Air set up (I assume the original RA is missing), also very cool. Post some pics.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Needs resto, and missing engine and tranny. Any leads for correct parts? I don't have date codes so let's assume that's not an issue at the moment.
I have a 276 SR RAI carburetor and an unused reproduction ram air setup for a 68 bird if he wants them.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Problem I see w this particular car RAI is your paying RAII prices for most parts for a RAI return. It’s still an awesome car. Hopefully you can find some of the parts reasonable.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
This one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204112535185

The seller originally had it advertised as a 400 HO car, with no documentation to validate it. I suggested he get the PHS for it, and lo and behold it came back as a Ram Air I.

A very cool car as built. But given what's missing, restoring it has to be a passion project. I applaud your friend for taking it on!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it's that car.

He actually bought it as a slow restoration for his daughter when she turns 16. He knows Pontiacs though I doubt this one is going to be purely authentic, but might as well see what he can do satisfying its pedigree while making it drivable.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He certainly got it for small money for such a rare car. That’s a damn good start.

That’s the thing no matter how he puts it together it’s still a Ram air car Vs a regular bird and that’s worth something.

I’ve never looked at RAI codes before but just looked and it seems RAI is a different code between RAI and RAII is that correct or is the site I looked at wrong? I could have sworn I’d seen posts where people said the RAII c118 blocks could have been RAI w the same codes. Carbs different, heads I knew were different. That’s all good news I thought he’d be buying parts competing w RAII buyers
I’ve only ever really looked up round port stuff .

Last edited by turbo69bird; 10-28-2022 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

His family has one of those '68 Firebirds that was originally pink, though it's not that anymore. His dad also bought a 425A Ventura 4-speed new, and they still have it.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
His family has one of those '68 Firebirds that was originally pink, though it's not that anymore. His dad also bought a 425A Ventura 4-speed new, and they still have it.
My daughter was asking me to find her one of those pink birds.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes I do

Old 10-29-2022, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to aggregate info for him so he can decide how he wants to proceed re: contacting people, so if you have anything that may be helpful to him, please PM me so I can get your info.

FWIW, I don't profit from helping him or anyone else. This is purely for a friend and the good of the hobby.

Old 10-29-2022, 01:05 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
He certainly got it for small money for such a rare car.
Yeah, that’s practically the going rate these days for a Firebird convertible needing restoration but not totally wasted, let alone a FB 400 or better.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:04 AM
Senior Chief

Lot less expensive to purchase RA parts than RA II parts. Heads, carb, block, distributor are big ticket items for RA II but much cheaper for the RA version. By the way there was officially never a RA I designation. That was started by enthusiasts. The option code in 68 for RA was code 347. The change from RA to RAII was treated as a production running change and used the same 347 code. The invoice/build date of the car determined whether it was a RA equipped or RA II equipped car.

Putting together a correct but not original engine would greatly enhance the value of this car. Most of the higher performance cars (RA II, RAIV, SD) do not have their original engine. These cars were advertised and sold new as high performance vehicles. Once they hit the used car market and depreciated to the point teenagers could buy them they were abused.

The recent Haggerty value guide has a 68 RA Firebird Convertible at $50k for a #3 car, add +15% for a 4 speed. There is lots of room from the purchase price to make this car as correct as possible and still be at or under market value in my opinion.

There is a difference in block code from a RA and a RA II. They could have the same casting number 9792506 but the engine code stamped on the front is different between the two.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 72 SR block a little late for that project but would look correct in that bird.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just talked to my buddy if you get to the point your looking for heads he has two sets currently available.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did the car come from before Vegas? An old buddy of mine had one. Verdoro green and a 4 speed.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

While RAII engine parts are certainly highly desirable, the RA (early '68) engine parts can be as expensive (or more). a good 2506 short block would go for $5k+, "31" heads, $2-$3k, then there is the 7028277 4spd carb. This is perhaps the rarest of all Pontiac production 4Bbl carbs (yes, more difficult to find than a RAII, RAIII, or even RAIV carb). Expect to pay $5k plus just for a good carb (which doesn't come up for sale very often).

Realistic value on a numbers matching '68 Firebird RA 4spd conv. in #1 condition would be somewhere between $100-$200k. They simply don't come up for sale in this sort of condition (color, options, condition of course are key).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
Lot less expensive to purchase RA parts than RA II parts. Heads, carb, block, distributor are big ticket items for RA II but much cheaper for the RA version. By the way there was officially never a RA I designation. That was started by enthusiasts. The option code in 68 for RA was code 347. The change from RA to RAII was treated as a production running change and used the same 347 code. The invoice/build date of the car determined whether it was a RA equipped or RA II equipped car.

Putting together a correct but not original engine would greatly enhance the value of this car. Most of the higher performance cars (RA II, RAIV, SD) do not have their original engine. These cars were advertised and sold new as high performance vehicles. Once they hit the used car market and depreciated to the point teenagers could buy them they were abused.

The recent Haggerty value guide has a 68 RA Firebird Convertible at $50k for a #3 car, add +15% for a 4 speed. There is lots of room from the purchase price to make this car as correct as possible and still be at or under market value in my opinion.

There is a difference in block code from a RA and a RA II. They could have the same casting number 9792506 but the engine code stamped on the front is different between the two.

Semper Fi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RA1John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with John. Nothing about a 68 RA1 engine is cheap

Old 11-27-2022, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1John View Post
While RAII engine parts are certainly highly desirable, the RA (early '68) engine parts can be as expensive (or more). a good 2506 short block would go for $5k+, "31" heads, $2-$3k, then there is the 7028277 4spd carb. This is perhaps the rarest of all Pontiac production 4Bbl carbs (yes, more difficult to find than a RAII, RAIII, or even RAIV carb). Expect to pay $5k plus just for a good carb (which doesn't come up for sale very often).

Realistic value on a numbers matching '68 Firebird RA 4spd conv. in #1 condition would be somewhere between $100-$200k. They simply don't come up for sale in this sort of condition (color, options, condition of course are key).
I agree with John on the values of a ra 1 engine. The 1968 277 Ram Air carburetor price will be higher than a 68-70 273 carb . The heads will be slightly cheaper than the 96 round ports, and so will the exhaust manifolds and distributor but the prices have been climbing on these d port Ra 1 parts.