THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shipping large parts from Central Nebraska?

Does anybody have any connections or ideas on how I could have a rear seat & interior door panels shipped from Central Nebraska (Cozad) towards Green Bay WI? I found these interior parts for sale I would like to purchase, but the seller does not ship larger items like this. It's a 790 mile trip from here so really doesn't work to drive there & back. I realize this is a bit of a long shot, but thought I would make a post just to see if anyone knows of somebody that travels through that area & might be able to transport these to the East so the trip could be shortened for me.

Thanks, 68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 11-23-2022, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thats too bad the seller wont ship these, they can easily be wrapped in cardboard sheets or find/make a box for them, large TV boxes work great you can find at some stores or Uhaul & others sell these types of boxes. fedex/ups will ship these for not too expensive if packed right to keep size under their oversize limits, i have shipped a bunch of both of these parts. heres some more options-

if he wont ship them he can bring them to one of the stores such as "the UPS store" or others like that, they will pack it for him & its not very expensive for how well they pack it. can even calll with rough dimensions & they will give an estimate to pack, ive used that service for expensive audio components i dont want to ship or deal with potential damage claims, the buyer pays to have it packed & shipped then if theres damage he deals with ups directly & they cant deny the claim for insufficient packing since they packed it to their standards. their walk in rates will be higher than if he uses the ups/fedex website to ship but if you really want them & the price is fair just have to be willing to pay for shipping.

also a company called spee-dee delivery will ship for lower than any other carrier to a small footprint of states including NE & WI, they will pick the item up from his house for a small fee & deliver to your door, but they do need to be at least wrapped in cardboard or lots of shrinkwrap. cheapest option for midwest states in their footprint. you can message me for help with using their service.

other option is greyhound for large items, but he will need to box them up still.

also, fastenal store to store, just strap the parts to a pallet, or make a box, then he drops off at his local fastenal & you pick up at your local fastenal, ive used them for heavey parts like engines & pallets full of heads, very decent rates.

last option is U-ship, which is a shipping service where you post the item you want shipped then shippers give bids to ship it & you accept the one you want, kinda like a reverse ebay, i have used them for large parts like engines & cars, some shippers are expensive but sometimes you find one going that way with another load that will add yours for a decent price.

lots of ways to have things shipped when the seller doesnt want to deal with it. hope that helps

Old 11-23-2022, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

I had a taillight panel for my Grandville shipped from Wisconsin to California for $60. Wasn't even wrapped. Check with Greyhound. You have to pick it up at the bus terminal, though.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 11-23-2022, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Fastenal used to ship fairly cheap. From one branch to another. Seller drops at their branch. You p/u at yours. Not sure if they still do.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I had a taillight panel for my Grandville shipped from Wisconsin to California for $60. Wasn't even wrapped. Check with Greyhound. You have to pick it up at the bus terminal, though.
Greyhound express was absolutely awesome! I bought doors & a trunk lid from Arizona & the shipper only had to wrap the parts so they would not get any dirt in the busses, or on other items.
Unfortunately Greyhound has recently discontinued their shipping service. They also closed the Green bay terminal about 10 years ago.

The parts are actually at a salvage yard, They told me they have had far too many problems with things & them getting damaged in transport.
I can respect that & understand with something like a seat.
But being a business, that should make picking them up easier if I can figure that out.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 11-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
Greyhound express was absolutely awesome! I bought doors & a trunk lid from Arizona & the shipper only had to wrap the parts so they would not get any dirt in the busses, or on other items.
Unfortunately Greyhound has recently discontinued their shipping service. They also closed the Green bay terminal about 10 years ago.

The parts are actually at a salvage yard, They told me they have had far too many problems with things & them getting damaged in transport.
I can respect that & understand with something like a seat.
But being a business, that should make picking them up easier if I can figure that out.
spee-dee or Uship will pick them up from the salvage yard....

Old 11-23-2022, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
spee-dee or Uship will pick them up from the salvage yard....
I wonder what they would require for packaging. I know they ship tires with no wrap or packaging but not so sure on seats or door panels. I'll ask the seller if they would wrap them in plastic to at least prevent scratches.

thanks for the ideas!

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
The Following User Says Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they are pretty lenient on packing, but wont insure it if its not protected.

easiest way to protect them is to make a "ravioli" out of large sheets of cardboard for the 2 door panels, can wrap the seat with cardboard too using shrink wrap they can buy at walmart. call spee-dee's on call service for a shipping quote, the pickup fee is only $7.

or see if one of their employees will bring them to a UPS store to be packed for them.

good luck!

Old 11-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

Try an ad here

Old 11-23-2022, 11:49 PM

If you can be flexible on shipping schedule you might reach out to the car haulers that frequent this forum. Typically their enclosed trailers have room for more than just one car and you might be able to hitch a ride for reasonable cost. Good deal for you and some extra money for them.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There must be some Wi hunters headed that way?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 11-24-2022, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The UPS "Store" can be expensive. I bought a GMPP HOT cam kit from a young guy in Iowa. I'm in Michigan. UPS ground estimate was 40.00 , so I sent him the money for the parts and shipping. Well, 3 weeks later he had not shipped the items and I told him I wanted a refund, he informed me he had spent the money so that was not an option. He said he would ship the items that day, which I was thinking from a UPS customer counter or whatever. Well, he texts me that he needs more money for shipping. I'm in a pinch at this point because he has the parts, not enough cash to ship, and no money for a refund so I paypal the money. He dropped off the unboxed parts at the local UPS Store and they indivdually wrapped EACH part (rocker arms etc. ). $150 later I had the parts. Just a heads up.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

UPS store rates are higher than even walk in rates at an actual UPS or FEDEX counter, thats how they make most of their money. however, their packing prices are very decent & they do a very good job packing using the expanding foam inside the box. the benefit in using them to pack is if the item gets damaged in transit they cant claim "insufficient packing" since it meets their guidelines for packing. UPS will fight pretty hard to pay out a damage claim.

what i usually do if i have to use their packing is to just pay them to pack it, then ship it under my fedex account for cheaper rates. or let the buyer set up & pay for their packing/shipping, then if theres a problem its up to the buyer to deal with UPS.

but for the OP's situation where the seller wont ship it, its best to just use spee-dee since its within their footprint, cant come close to their prices with other large carriers, even with a spee dee pickup, & you dont need an account to use them, they mail you the bill.