THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know a few of us have moved to dodge and it may just be our demographic. I mean we were all Pontiac buyers, Pontiac went away and Dodge kinda picked up that ball and ran with it. Red interior lights, honeycomb grills, louder exhaust and good advertising.

I doubt you would see these similarities on an Oldsmobile, Buick or even Datsun forum.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure who posted above me but he sure sounds smart!

(Having a couple beers)…..

Old 11-30-2022, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I know a few of us have moved to dodge and it may just be our demographic. I mean we were all Pontiac buyers, Pontiac went away and Dodge kinda picked up that ball and ran with it. Red interior lights, honeycomb grills, louder exhaust and good advertising.

I doubt you would see these similarities on an Oldsmobile, Buick or even Datsun forum.
Nailed it!!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To me, Chrysler/Dodge has always done cool things technically. They also have had a history of robust mechanical components, engines, Dana Axles, Torqueflight transmissions etc. Their downfall has always been lousy materials in the interiors, hardware, fit, finish, final execution of good ideas. This trend has been inconsistent with some really nice cars and some junk. Buick to me has just been plain bland with 2 exceptions in the last 50 years. The 70 GS/GSX and the GN cars. Buick quality has been on par with the other GM offerings because in all cases, just re-badged slightly upgraded Chevies or downgraded Cadillac's. The Dodge stuff, even with somewhat sketchy build quality, produces smiles, emotions and a feeling much like Pontiac cars used to. Dodge is selling and advertising performance cars right t the bitter end. Buick gave up in 1987. As a transportation appliance, I have no real issue with Buick. Much like Toyota.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After they killed pontiac i got the wife a hemi magnum AWD from the dahmer years.

Super fun car but all kinds of problems. Replaced just about everything on warranty - always in the shop.

Then we went crawling back to GM - no regrets.

Like you said they had really good ideas.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
My favorite quote that I always go to concerning the Aztek at it's reveal. The automotive press was brutal as can be expected. But the quote that really sums it up and references the above post is: "It looks like the Aztek was designed by a group of prisoners who whittled it out of a bar of soap". That perfectly sums up the look.
The Buick version is also exactly why they can go ahead and shutter the division. They took the horribly disfigured Aztek, rounded off all the sharp edges and made a generic blob out of it. So now you have a slightly converted minivan made into a generic blob that has no appeal or emotional response from anyone. A perfect example of how two divisions of a giant corporation approached a new vehicle design. Both horrible failures. China bailed out Buick, well, we know what happened to Pontiac. Yea, still bitter.
Back in 1988, I participated in a marketing survey/focus group that offered an opportunity to drive 5 new cars and critique them. There were a ton of people there and it turned into a half-day affair.

One car was unbadged and was the focus of the study. It was revealed later to be a pre-production Chevy Lumina. Significant effort went into evaluating the consumer's perception of the car and the driving experience as these tests were conducted in multiple cities.
You drove and rated each car's ride quality, comfort, controls placement, steering wheel position, engine sound, handling, acceleration and of course .... styling. I didn't go easy on the Lumina. When asked how it rode, I said "It is obviously riding on reputation and not much else. It rode like a pogo stick."

Given that experience, it always puzzled me HITH the Aztek ever got through a focus group outside of General Motors unless the moderators just ignored the snickers. I don't know. Maybe it was a generational thing but for sure very few were sold.

There is a huge auto auction in the Chicago area based in the "Old Chicago Shopping Mall" property. The lot was full of Azteks as far as the eye could see. There were so many they leased and fenced off the parking lot of a defunct Menards Store across the street and filled it door to door, bumper to bumper with Azteks. My wife at that time (not knowing it was an auto auction) asked why "all those ugly little cars were there". I told here "Brookfield Zoo ordered a fleet of them as maintenance vehicles but had to cancel their order because the Rhino's kept trying to mate with them."

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 11-30-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My favorite quote that I always go to concerning the Aztek at it's reveal. The automotive press was brutal as can be expected. But the quote that really sums it up and references the above post is: "It looks like the Aztek was designed by a group of prisoners who whittled it out of a bar of soap". That perfectly sums up the look.
The Buick version is also exactly why they can go ahead and shutter the division. They took the horribly disfigured Aztek, rounded off all the sharp edges and made a generic blob out of it. So now you have a slightly converted minivan made into a generic blob that has no appeal or emotional response from anyone. A perfect example of how two divisions of a giant corporation approached a new vehicle design. Both horrible failures. China bailed out Buick, well, we know what happened to Pontiac. Yea, still bitter.
Back in 1988, I participated in a marketing survey/focus group that offered an opportunity to drive 5 new cars and critique them. There were a ton of people there and it turned into a half-day affair.

One car was unbadged and was the focus of the study. It was revealed later to be a pre-production Chevy Lumina. Significant effort went into evaluating the consumer's perception of the car and the driving experience as these tests were conducted in multiple cities.
You drove and rated each car's ride quality, engine sound, handling, acceleration and of course .... styling. I didn't go easy on the Lumina either. When asked how it rode, I said "It is obviously riding on reputation and not much else. It rode like a pogo stick."

Given that experience it always puzzled me HITH the Aztek ever got through a focus group outside of General Motors unless the moderators just ignored the snickers.

There is a huge auto auction in the Chicago area based in the "Old Chicago Shopping Mall" property. The lot was full of Azteks as far as the eye could see. There were so many they leased and fenced off the parking lot of a defunct Menards Store across the street and filled it door to door, bumper to bumper. My wife at that time (not knowing it was an auto auction) asked why all those ugly little cars were there. I told here "Brookfield Zoo ordered a fleet of them as maintenance vehicles but had to cancel their order because the Rhino's kept trying to mate with them."

Old 11-30-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go GM marketing !

Corvette to Launch as a Brand in 2025 with a Four-Door and an SUV

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...te-brand-2025/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 11-30-2022, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, it seems to have worked for Porsche. The timing seems to be good as they will be all electric by then. It also appears to be working for Ford with the Mustang Mach E. Using some brand equity to sell some electric cars.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Go GM marketing !

Corvette to Launch as a Brand in 2025 with a Four-Door and an SUV

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...te-brand-2025/

Just what I always wanted, a four door/SUV Corvette.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
You can park it right next to your electric four door/SUV Mustand....

Old 12-01-2022, 08:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
We're all doomed.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
You can park it right next to your electric four door/SUV Mustand....
I read one guy who said they should have named that Mustang ESUV after a draft horse: "Clydesdale". Fits with their decades long equestrian themes.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That would have been a good name, rather than Mustang Mach E which just pissed off most Ford enthusiasts . It also well describes how they drive. After driving one about 20-25 miles, the name would fit. They are very tall, drive very, very heavy. You can feel every LB. of the almost 5000 LB. curb weight. Very heavy steering, hard to pull of center, drives like a van. In a straight line from 0-80 MPH, one of the fastest street vehicles I have ever driven. Probably, in the top 10. Being able to accelerate in a straight line like that does not make for a great driving car though. The regenerative braking was very intrusive as well.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I never understood why they didn’t us the name Galaxy for the Mach E. Seemed futuristic and fit the car better than trying to tarnish the Mustang name.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
To me, Chrysler/Dodge has always done cool things technically. They also have had a history of robust mechanical components, engines, Dana Axles, Torqueflight transmissions etc. Their downfall has always been lousy materials in the interiors, hardware, fit, finish, final execution of good ideas. This trend has been inconsistent with some really nice cars and some junk. Buick to me has just been plain bland with 2 exceptions in the last 50 years. The 70 GS/GSX and the GN cars. Buick quality has been on par with the other GM offerings because in all cases, just re-badged slightly upgraded Chevies or downgraded Cadillac's. The Dodge stuff, even with somewhat sketchy build quality, produces smiles, emotions and a feeling much like Pontiac cars used to. Dodge is selling and advertising performance cars right t the bitter end. Buick gave up in 1987. As a transportation appliance, I have no real issue with Buick. Much like Toyota.
The bitter end, huh? Yep.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:18 AM
Senior Chief

Seems the older I get, the more backward I want to go in regards to technology. The technology creep in new cars is completely reducing them to disposable appliances.

Its no secret that my dream project is a coal-fired, steam-powered Prius (like a railroad locomotive), with a second one made into a trailer as a coal tender, with someone standing on the tongue shoveling the coal into the Priusmotive to keep it going. It'll be #333, since it will only be half evil.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I never understood why they didn’t us the name Galaxy for the Mach E. Seemed futuristic and fit the car better than trying to tarnish the Mustang name.
You spelled Galaxie wrong. Wait... Galax E??
Hey, don't laugh. It's 10X better than Mocky.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:52 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
You spelled Galaxie wrong. Wait... Galax E??
Hey, don't laugh. It's 10X better than Mocky.
The marketing department at Ford missed an opportunity.

Sadly soon enough when you head to the dealership, you will be looking for Mustang or Corvette classic. Like when Coke messed up and came out with new Coke.

Old 12-02-2022, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m all in in Galax E!!

So much better than Mach e.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post: