THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Anti-Rust Zip Up Car Storage Bag

Anyone seen/used this item from California Car Covers? Saw it in an promo email sent by them and wondered if it works as advertised? Reviews are interesting.

Thoughts??

I can see a possible issue with using a trickle charger and or antennas. I guess you could use a catch pan or otherwise for any leaks.

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/antirust-car-storage-bag/686

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-05-2022, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's an interesting concept, with a tragic outcome for an older couple who bought a similar unit a few years back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...astic-bag.html

While attempting to back his car into his "storage bag", he was overcome by carbon monoxide. His partner attempted to rescue him and also succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Being that the cover is a very small space, I would consider rolling a vehicle in or out to not have this particular safety issue, if I bought one.

Old 12-05-2022, 06:44 PM
Senior Chief

What about just gas fumes from the carb ?

Old 12-05-2022, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Is it vented? As said gad fumes trapped, or does it hold moisture inside? The car needs ventilation. I have to look at it as, will this contraption keep the car from rotting out in my lifetime? I doubt it will make any difference.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't leave the battery on a tender in there!!!! Battery charging and off gassing inside essentially a plastic bad... That can't be good.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A heated garage with low humidity is best.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Anyone seen/used this item from California Car Covers? Saw it in an promo email sent by them and wondered if it works as advertised? Reviews are interesting.

Thoughts??

I can see a possible issue with using a trickle charger and or antennas. I guess you could use a catch pan or otherwise for any leaks.

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/antirust-car-storage-bag/686
I used one for a few winters many years ago. You put desiccant bags on the ground under the car to suck up any moisture. You don't back the car "into" one of those. There's a bottom section and a top section connected with a zipper. So you drive onto the bottom section, then cover the car with a good soft cover, then put the top section of the bag over that, and zip it.

I used to remove the battery from the car and put it on a trickle charger on a shelf. And my car had a windshield antenna, so I didn't have to deal with that.

The bag worked as advertised. The car always came out in May looking exactly the way it went in in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
It's an interesting concept, with a tragic outcome for an older couple who bought a similar unit a few years back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...astic-bag.html

While attempting to back his car into his "storage bag", he was overcome by carbon monoxide. His partner attempted to rescue him and also succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Being that the cover is a very small space, I would consider rolling a vehicle in or out to not have this particular safety issue, if I bought one.
That's a different type of "bag" than the one the OP asked about.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue

Last edited by keith k; 12-05-2022 at 09:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
A heated garage with low humidity is best.

Or live in the south where you can drive your car year round.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This kinda reminds me of those home Air Purifier that are suppose to clean the air you breathe. What happens when you go outside? The newest and latest one for me is people driving in the autos with a mask on and the windows closed. Or walking down the street by themselves with a mask on. Hmmm I'm just old school. I can see a use outside in not to severe weather. Like burd said, heated garage with low humidity. Even a garage with no heat. As long as Humidity is low, good to go. Oh and no salt moisture from the ocean. lol We are blessed here with a dry climate.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
I used one for a few winters many years ago. You put desiccant bags on the ground under the car to suck up any moisture. You don't back the car "into" one of those. There's a bottom section and a top section connected with a zipper. So you drive onto the bottom section, then cover the car with a good soft cover, then put the top section of the bag over that, and zip it.

I used to remove the battery from the car and put it on a trickle charger on a shelf. And my car had a windshield antenna, so I didn't have to deal with that.

The bag worked as advertised. The car always came out in May looking exactly the way it went in in November.

That's a different type of "bag" than the one the OP asked about.
I stored my 71 GTO in the same type of bag that is described here. Worked great for eliminating moisture and keeping rodents out. Every year I would buy a box of 10 desiccant bags, 40 dollars including shipping. Put the car away in late October, take it out in April. This type of bag is highly recommended by me
The only possible negative is once you zip it up, it has to stay sealed or the desiccant bags would need to be replaced.

The Following User Says Thank You to tigergto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother uses one in his barn (concrete floor but not insulated) primarily for protection from the mice. It has a fan in it to keep it inflated. You can also place extension cords in it (through velcro seams, for a battery charger, as it is NOT air tight.

This is the first year for it, hopefully it works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car cover - Inflatable.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	603145  

Old 12-06-2022, 03:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The California Cover Anti Rust bag that I linked to in the original post seems to be a bit different than most encapsulations, but not exactly sure how effective...

"Our exclusive car storage bag features Zerust® technology for state-of-the-art moisture and corrosion protection. The Zerust® formulation is an anti-rust chemical built into the material, that protects from moisture and impurities with corrosion inhibiting elements. Each Car Storage Bag is simple to use, just drive down the center of the bottom panel, and pull the top portion over and zip-up the entire car bag for an airtight closure. Available also with a super-soft inner lining for ultimate paint pampering protection. We recommend you use this in conjunction with a car cover.

The ZeRust material is 8 mil thickness. The technology lasts for a minimum of 5 years.

Zerust® technology helps protect your car from moisture and corrosion by using an anti-rust chemical in the material of the car cover to keep moisture from getting past. Our anti-rust zip car bag forms an air-tight barrier around your vehicle, keeping moisture out and your finish rust-free.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-06-2022, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post

Not during hurricanes

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-08-2022, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
The only problem with that idea, is LIVING in the south.

I have lived in the south (6 years in the military) and live in the north by choice.

I don't like heat or humidity. I can put more clothes on if it's chilly - a person would get arrested if they take too many clothes off in the heat.

I actually enjoy all 4 seasons. There are many fun things to do in the cold and snow during winter.

And it is possible to drive a classic car in every month of the year up here in the north country. Since completing the restoration of my '64, I have driven my GTO in all 12 months (on very select days).

The rarer months are December, January and February, but I have done it.

March - November are common. I taught my grandson how to drive a stick the Friday after Thanksgiving. His eyes lit up when I asked him if today was the day he learned to drive a stick.

Christmas shopping the Saturday before Christmas in December, test driving the finally completed 462 in January, trip to the winery with the top down in February...

Yup, I have no problems driving year round....

Old 12-08-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The type with fans... Remember, the Humidity in your garage is now blowing in the bag, and air is everywhere, even the rockers etc.. saw a couple set up at MACN. very impressive, but still Your own Environment has to be dry to work as far as rust goes.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have been using Car Bag for 5 years in an unheated storage building. No rodent problems, car comes out clean as it went in. I do remove battery, put Stabill in the tank. She's ready to go come Spring