THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I think I am losing interest

Our car club's annual show was this past Saturday. After working on my car for the last two weeks having a new windshield put in, the A/C compressor replaced and a new battery installed I washed and waxed the car, polished all the trim and detailed the interior. That about wore me out but the car was ready for the big show.
I got to the show about 6:45am to help set everything up, then I put my car in it's usual spot. I walked back up to the entrance to watch the other cars come in and snap some pictures.
When I went back to my car, it was surrounded by Mopars! There were two on either side and pulled out enough to make my car all but invisible!
That is when it hit me. I was alone, not only car wise but people wise as well.
All my close car buddies have passed away and as I sat there by myself for the most part of the show I came to the conclusion that it wasn't as much fun as it used to be.
Hopefully this feeling will pass because I love driving my Goat and still enjoy the comments people make about it. But, things aren't the same without my buddies. We used to have a friendly rivalry because they drove Chevrolets and I miss that.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:56 PM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Hang in there!
You know, friendly rivalries might even occur with Mopar guys... or AMC... or ???.
I enjoy visiting shows but not as a participant. I'm much happier driving my Pontiac-powered machines.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

One of my closest friends, passes in August 2018. He had moved to Oklahoma in 1982 for work. I took him to the POCI deal in Wisconsin Dells that June. He was 71.

Another good friend is 71 now, his health is faltering. He and I made ourselves available to take the above friend to any car event. Our friend was suffering from Parkinsons. He was on the ground in Viet Nam. Way too many Viet Nam vets have Parkinsons!!

Second above friend will be my mission to take to car events. My TA is not in great shape at the moment. It WILL be though. I'm praying for remaining Pontiacer to regain his health. I'd like him to drive my car, when that happens!!

I'm only 63 (by the grace of God after car accident in July).
I will not give up!!!

Not enough black TA's left in the worl#!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 02:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm new to the hobby, since 2016. I am not a big car show guy. I like informal local cruise nights where I can park my car and go eat/drink with buddies, then leave when I want.

I appreciate this forum, and the older generation participating to help me learn.

I drive my '65 GTO almost everyday now and do all the work to it myself.

Hang in there, the next generation needs you to help us carry the torch.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 10-10-2022, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Life changes as you get older and so do your interests.

I used to be the FIRST one in a deer stand the morning bow season opened and spent every possible minute in one thru the rut. I'd lug my gear for MILES if it put me over a HUGE buck that no one else was willing to put in the work to harvest.

Then like a light switch I lost interest in trophy deer hunting.

Same thing with these cars, especially racing them. I used to race 2-3 times a week if I could find tracks open and get the car to them. I was hooked on it like a cocaine habit. Then, almost like you turned off a light switch I lost interest in that as well.

I'm 63 this year and still very active with quite a few hobbies, but they are different ones than when I was younger with more energy and ambition.

I still love the older cars but really don't care much about even attending a car show, but I take my grand kids to a couple every summer and walk them around answering any questions they have, etc.

I lost interest so much in the cars that I sold my last one earlier this year and have no interest at all in getting anothe one. IF i do get an older vehicle it will be an old Blazer or 4 X 4 Chevy or GMC truck because it's something I'd use quite a bit and enjoy driving couple of times a week. My Ventura was lucky to get out 3-4 times a YEAR the past few years so it spend most of it's time sitting on the lift. It became more of a PITA because I had to move it to use the lift for other things, so I decided to send it down the road and not missing it at all.

I'd also add here that no one else in my family has the first bit of interest in older vehicles, so it wasn't something I was going to pass on. The wife and grand kids actually LOVE fishing and boating, so I bought a Pontoon boat and we spend quite a few weekends on the lakes around here. Everyone loves it, and the smiles on their faces when we're pulling them on the big tube and bouncing them over waves is priceless..........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You may do alot of negative things in your life but dont quit. Look for the good, it's there. I was involved in a ogauge train club(besides the Pontiac club) for 20 + yrs. We would set up displays of different sizes the biggest was 66 X98' for fund raisers for fire departments or whom ever. Sometimes we got paid sometimes just food. 3 yrs ago some things happened and I lost total interest in traveling. Found a guy in Latrobe who needed help with his large ogauge train display. Best thing I did. Do I miss the old club not really,I remember all the set ups. I'm happy now,less gas usage for sure.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that everyone has had to deal with so much change the past couple of years that it makes life harder to enjoy.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing wrong with Mopars. I like seeing any brand out at shows or the track, rather than sitting in a garage doing nothing.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is more of a challenge to be a "car guy" than ever. The general public perception of cars ruining the planet, has turned many of the youngsters away from our hobby. Keeping these old cars on the road is more difficult than ever. Having to wait for YEARS, rather than weeks for needed restoration parts is causing some to just give up. Some cars are getting so valuable, people are afraid to drive them and now have taken on the hassle of hauling them in a trailer everywhere. Not much fun in that IMO. I was flat amazed that at the Trans AM Nationals this year, 90% of the cars in the show were not driven to the event. Acting as a mobile curator for a museum piece would be no fun for me. I hope you regain your enthusiasm for your car and some new friends as well that share your interests. If not, it could be time to move on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Nothing wrong with Mopars. I like seeing any brand out at shows or the track, rather than sitting in a garage doing nothing.
Exactly! Just need to broaden your view point and take it all in, make new friends. Any classic car is welcome in my book. Out there doing what they should be doing, driving and racing.

Just because I'm driving the Firebird doesn't mean I have to park with Pontiacs, and the same goes when I'm driving a Chevrolet or Ford.

Most of the time I usually roll in as a group driving a Chevrolet, my dad driving his GTO, and my son driving his Mustang, and I don't look for any particular brand of car to park next to. I'm just there to enjoy the comradery of like minded people.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-10-2022, 12:40 PM

I am not crazy about car shows anymore either.
I, like has been said, like the more informal cruise in.
When I do go to a show, I don't wash it, or anything just dust it off, don't care if I win a trophy or anything. I still get nice comments even when its dirty,
And that makes me happy!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to gtokid1968 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

never been a car show person. but love racin and driving em. no fan fare needed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtokid1968 View Post
I am not crazy about car shows anymore either.
I, like has been said, like the more informal cruise in.
When I do go to a show, I don't wash it, or anything just dust it off, don't care if I win a trophy or anything. I still get nice comments even when its dirty,
And that makes me happy!!!
I agree with this. I cant sit there for 4 -5 hours anymore. I like the informal shows with every type of cool car. Come and go as I want.
However, I still seek out any Pontiac members that come and chat them up.

Another issue was there were very few in the club that actually stepped up and helped. I counted votes at our annual shows for 20 years. But I never got to enjoy the actual show. I ended up quitting the shows. The Pontiac only shows, gave way to anyone with who will come with $20.00.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:31 PM
Senior Chief

My idea of a good day at a car show is: Have a good breakfast somewhere.
Arrive at the show at 10:00 or 11:00.
Register and pay (to support however is putting the show on). Throw the ballot in the trunk or console.
Walk around to see what might be new and check on old friends.
Maybe grab some lunch.
Leave the show before 2:00. Get home in time to get some yardwork done.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirebirdHank For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably should mention a car show and a cruise are 2 different things in my eye's. Some group it all together but I see them completely different.

I'm more of a cruise in guy, no fees, and we come and go as we please, just like it used to be in the 70's and 80's. But honestly would rather be at the dragstrip. One of the reasons we daily drive the classics is because we simply enjoy driving them. Not afraid to race them either.

A paid car show is somewhat of a seldom thing for us. We participate more in events that involve driving the cars, like the Rt 66 cruise or when a club puts together an afternoon cruise somewhere like Tortilla Flat or some other cool destination. In one day it's nothing to put 300-400 miles on the car. It's a good time.

I'll do a paid show like Goodguys. We do that one for a few reasons. The swap meet is a big reason, and we like the variety of cars, usually 2000-3000 cars to look at. I enter a car so I can park in the midst of it, have a cooler at hand with drinks and food for the day. I couldn't care less what people think of the car I drove, I'm not there for that really. Then we leave when ever we want. Usually hit the local cruise in on the way home that evening. That whole trip in itself ends up being about 230-250 miles and that's part of the fun for me.
Paid shows really need other attractions to get my attention. Things like chassis dynos, a road course, or my favorite, shows at the dragstrip. Love going to a car show at the dragstrip where I can be a part of both. I'll pay for that. Something where we are actually using the cars for something other than the lawn chair nationals.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 04:13 PM

I'm in a rather odd-man-out position of being in the younger generation having a passion for these cars. I just turned 35, so I'm an early millenial. I've wanted a 2nd-gen Trans Am since I was 20 years old and have owned two of them, one of them being the 1979 I own now.

This isn't my first car I bought out of enthusiasm or to enjoy, either. My first was a 1978 Trans Am that I owned very briefly at 21 years old, mostly because it was a disaster and I was naive about what to look for in a classic car. I bought it site unseen off eBay. My 1979 I have now is leagues better, and I went to actually look at it before I brought it home. But anyway, in 2010 is when I got my 2011 Camaro SS, which were really hot cars at the time because of Transformers n' such, plus the "return of the Camaro." Owning that car was a life of shows, car clubs, meets, etc... things I thought I'd do once I get my Trans Am, which deep down was still my true dream car.

Now that I have my Trans Am, I mostly just enjoy it by taking it out on drives. I've owned it for two years and not once have brought it to a show, though I've been to a few casual meets with it (which IMO are way funner). These meets are with a way younger, urban crowd and most of the cars there were imports or late model, so needless to say, my '79 was quite a novelty at these meets, and the millenials and Gen Z'ers were definitely interested in it, especially since someone of their generation is the one owning it. Try as they might to love hard on their high-revving sporty import cars, when the Poncho comes pulling in thumping away in that torquey 400 and the iconic styling, even the unenthused all of a sudden become the enthused. It's a rather interesting dynamic to behold, for sure. A little over a month ago, I pulled up to a small import meet and the moment I turned off the key, I had a crowd - young boys, a young girl; none of them over 25 - all car lovers, sure, but every one of them wanted a seat in the T/A, and a rev of the motor which I gladly allowed. You can't get these kinds of cars without expecting to share them in any small way you can. I still fully maintain that young car enthusiasts want these old classics far more than you all think they do, they're just so unattainable that it's almost like an average guy "wanting" a Ferrari, or a private jet. Like, you want it, but you're so accustomed to the idea that it's "just a dream" that you never even bother pursuing it.

But all in all, the show-going life hasn't really been my thing, anymore. Part of it is because I'm paranoid of the car making it to these far away shows, even though it runs amazingly well and has never stranded me, overheated, or failed for anything mechanical... it's just some fear of mine. I still can't trust the car, for some reason. Plus, not a lot of classic car shows happen in Miami. It's mostly new age stuff, so you kind of gotta take what you can get. Mostly, I just cruise the T/A and work on it, which is good enough for me. I have big plans to restomod and build it up in the future, maybe then I'll start attending shows.

Point is, I think the funner aspect of this hobby is just getting out and driving the car. It's a transformative experience, and seeing them in the wild in an ocean of bland late model cars is way more special, imo.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 10-10-2022 at 04:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nUcLeArEnVoY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a normal feeling to lose interest ever so often. That is one reason I have switched automotive allegiances over the years from Mopar to Chevy to Pontiac, Back to Mopar, back to Pontiac etc. I'll find a new car to restore that I have never worked on before and try to learn all I can about it. I even restored my Grandfather's 1971 Lincoln with a 365 horse/460 with 11 to 1 compression. It was like rebuilding a big block chevy with the distributor on the wrong end. Very cool to learn new stuff.

As for car shows I'm done with them but the new thing are the "Cars and Coffee" events. They run between 8 and 11 am around here and all sorts of stuff shows up - and they are all driven there, from million dollar Maclarens to old Model T's. I brought our 30 year old Viper race car (that I've owned since new) out to two of them this weekend and had a ton of fun. It seems like the people that go to these events are actually there to talk with each other about their weird cars and learn about everyone else's rides. The youngest kids were in their teens and the oldest person was in their 80's. The guy next to me was a thirty-something year old guy who had a Nissan GTR with 1,300 horsepower at the 4-wheels. He built the engine himself. The lady on the other side of me was a 70 year old grandmother driving a late model Porsche. She was all excited telling us how she just about kidnapped her grandson and taught him how to drive a manual transmssion against his parents' advice. She was just beeming talking about it.

It was a helluva lot of fun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I've noticed the morning coffee cruises have started getting popular. I have absolutely no interest in that at all. Growing up, cruises were always in the evenings, and they'll stay that way for me.

I'm too busy in the mornings anyway getting stuff done around the house before the heat sets in. Then when I want to unwind and relax, get cleaned up, get a car out and hit a local evening cruise, or go out to dinner, etc....

Besides, I'm having morning coffee at 4am to get my day started anyway. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy organized a 250 mile cruise through the Notches with some stops. This was fun and would do it again. Tested my memory on how accurate my gas gauge is as I wasn't sure if I had a 300 mile range. I was getting almost 17, so no problem. Fun seeing foliage and talking. Driving.
Also went to a car show at Castle in the clouds. I was shocked as there was around 400 cars, and aside from 69 camaros ( still in production) hardly Any duplicates. It was amazing. People were from 5 states and Canada..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221001_125130.jpg
Views:	1337
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	600239   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221001_125422.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	600240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221001_130111.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	600241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221001_130051.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	600242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221001_110316.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	600243  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 10-10-2022 at 06:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 06:22 PM

I have not driven my Trans Am for about 2.5 years now, so I get it. I really enjoy driving it but have not really been to interested lately. The wife and I have been doing the thrifting thing pretty hard as of late. I really enjoy the discovery of finding valuable vintage items among the junk at garage sales and of course the junkyard as well. I have never been a fan of car shows, how many times can you look at a car and say oh that is nice, that one is nice and that one is nice too, gets old. I only go if there is a swap meet like Goodguys. I am also not a fan of cars and coffee things. I had to go to my local Advance Auto store and all these cars were taking up room in the parking lot. I looked out and noticed a bunch of people lining the streets. I asked the counter guy at Advance, what is going on? He said he did not know, he came into work and they were already in the parking lot. All these people and cars were blocking local traffic. Well I got what I needed and was leaving and noticed a bunch of people running towards something. Wouldn't you know it, some bone head in a Hellcat loses control wrecks into some poor person who was just driving down the road in his Silverado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjK...CJiu2KjB4oSJEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXC...CJiu2KjB4oSJEQ