THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tesla Autonomous Driving

I know this might be anathema to many on this site - but just want to mention that I think we recently hit an inflection point with respect to the abilities of Tesla's "Full Self Driving." I am running the beta on my M3, and the progress over the last three months has been impressive.

A couple days ago, I spoke to my Tesla and said "Take me to Windmill Farms." The car then proceeded to drive w/o any human input, and stopped as pictured in the attached. It gave me chills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3911.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	602691  

Old 11-27-2022, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

There is a federal investigation on several crashes that happened while vehicles were in self driving mode. Read an article from the person who was most instrumental in developing the software for self driving and he shared that it is not fool proof. The American Motorcycle Association is lobbying very heavily to have the self driving systems NOT be beta tested on public roads. It has been proven in independent tests that these systems do not see motorcycles or pedestrians. Yes they may find a location using GPS but they may do so in a unsafe way. In the article one woman repeatedly had these test vehicles park in front of her house or get "lost" in her driveway. Just think what happens if there is a technology "glitch" with the GPS network.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All Fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once.
-Terry Pratchett

https://www.gainesville.com/story/ne...ty/7828556001/

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
There is a federal investigation on several crashes that happened while vehicles were in self driving mode. Read an article from the person who was most instrumental in developing the software for self driving and he shared that it is not fool proof. The American Motorcycle Association is lobbying very heavily to have the self driving systems NOT be beta tested on public roads. It has been proven in independent tests that these systems do not see motorcycles or pedestrians. Yes they may find a location using GPS but they may do so in a unsafe way. In the article one woman repeatedly had these test vehicles park in front of her house or get "lost" in her driveway. Just think what happens if there is a technology "glitch" with the GPS network.
This is all nonsense. My car sees pedestrians and motorcycles every day. It is not fool proof, that is why it is currently supervised by a human. The statistics show that the system is safer when in self driving mode than when not. 40k people killed every year in the US by human drivers. FSD will cut that number substantially (e.g. by 90%)

A couple references showing safety improved with Tesla FSD:

https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

https://www.torquenews.com/15475/tes...-accidents-day

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2022/0...f-driving.html

Old 11-27-2022, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
All Fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once.
-Terry Pratchett

https://www.gainesville.com/story/ne...ty/7828556001/
No evidence the accident cited was a result of autopilot/FSD

The reason Tesla leads accident reports is because 1) they have the most miles driven with autonomous systems by far 2) their cars are network connected and automatically report accidents and whether autopilot was engaged at the time (or up to 5 seconds before). Legacy vehicles do not do this.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
No evidence the accident cited was a result of a ...
They disabled the auto braking function and drove into the back of a trailer?

Old 11-28-2022, 12:06 AM
Senior Chief

For your reading pleasure.

Phil Koopman, a Carnegie Mellon University robotics engineer and researcher who has studied automotive technology for years, counts self-driving car companies among his clients (though he cannot name specific brands he works with).

He says that the safety of self-driving cars around cyclists all depends on what companies are currently doing to gather data about them.

For example, he says cars could very well be learning about cyclists through careful simulation on a closed course. He is less optimistic, however, about a hypothetical scenario in which the cars are only learning about cyclists by driving on public roads.

“If you only collect your data by driving around, and you're in a city without a lot of bicyclists,” he says, “you're not going to be very good at identifying them.”

As of now, he says that he doesn’t know what the industry is actually doing to learn how to detect cyclists, “and I do self-driving car safety for a living, so that's where we are.”

Engineers who study self-driving cars have acknowledged that bicycles -- the kinds without motors -- currently pose a unique challenge to their detection technology; one researcher contracting with Waymo told the publication IEEE Spectrum that bicycles are probably the most difficult objects for the cars to detect.

Although motorcycles may be easier to detect than bicycles, motorcyclists across the world have raised similar concerns. American Motorcyclist Association President Rob Dingman writes on his group’s website that he is “horrified by the prospect that automated vehicle systems are not being developed with motorcyclists in mind,” noting that current federal guidelines for self-driving cars in the United States make “no mention of motorcycles.”

In another case that received little attention in the United States, a Norwegian motorcyclist was struck from behind by a Tesla on July 27, 2016. Local media reported that the car’s Autopilot had been engaged at the time.

The motorcyclist suffered serious injuries in the crash, according to the Federation of European Motorcyclists. The organization sent Dutch regulators a letter later that year, pointing to a study presented by researcher John Lenkeit at the International Motorcycle Conference in Germany.

Lenkeit’s report claimed that forward collision warning systems installed in cars did not detect motorcycles in 41 percent of test cases. Passenger cars, by comparison, were not adequately detected only 3.6 percent of the time.

The Netherlands Vehicle Authority, which is responsible for testing and approving Tesla cars before they can be sold in the rest of Europe, agreed to launch several studies in response to the motorcyclists’ inquiries. Most recently, the agency published a report about the visibility of motorcyclists to adaptive cruise control, or the technology currently deployed not just in Tesla but in numerous other car brands. The technology is marketed as a cruise control feature that “automatically” switches to a safe, slower speed when road hazards appear.

But the agency’s report, published on March 12, also found that “when motorcycles are riding at the edge of their lane, the adaptive cruise control does not respond well to them,” sparking a new warning from the European motorcyclists to “pay attention while driving, because the systems do not always see and react to small objects such as motorcycles.”

In their own safety reports, self-driving leaders Waymo and General Motors have both described measures they are taking to keep cyclists safe. But asked about statistics -- specifically, what percentage of the time their forward collision systems technology detects bikes or motorcycles -- neither company’s press team responded to messages from ConsumerAffairs.

Koopman, the engineer who studies self-driving cars, says that reports generated by the companies themselves are the only documentation of their safety around bikes that consumers currently have.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Idk how your model 3 self drives the whole way . My model X doesn’t do that it requires a hand in the wheel or a certain input every few minutes at least . The self driving is very good but mine will stop at green lights still unless I step on the throttle to drive through it at speed .
It also has a little
Issue with on ramps it tends to move over slightly onto the on ramp at the last minute the. Re- enter the highway It will however brake for anything it sees in. Te road in. Front of me and will always err on the side of caution (so far) but I always keep watch over it anyway . It is an amazing car- it is an amazing system for self driving.- it will make mistakes I’m sure- but so do drivers. . I really don’t know if I want to see full autonomous driving but I’m sure we will some day . My concern is the same with divers and AI drivers is people stuck in the side of the road and also pedestrians. .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!

Last edited by Stuart; 11-28-2022 at 02:14 AM.