Old 06-04-2021, 03:48 PM

Default 73 Y-code Grand Am - Advertised as SD455 (long ago)

In the thread on a 74 SD 455 Grand Am (which yielded no evidence) I mentioned a 73 Grand Am that I ran the PHS on.
I do apologize, but I cannot recall when I saw the ad - it was probably in Hemmings back in the early "aughts" - so quite some time ago - maybe it was in the late 90s.
I don't even have the folder for when I received the PHS on the car.
I called on the car and the seller maintained that it was a SD car.
I think the car was in the south - Louisiana?
I at least got the VIN and when it didn't have the X in the VIN I ran it anyway.
VIN:
2H37Y3P319008

A nicely optioned car - was supposed to be a "brass hat" car, which it could have been given the selling dealer - Jim Causley Pontiac, Detroit, MI - and maybe it WAS converted.
I never saw pictures and never followed up with the seller.
Still - a nice GA with many options, red, red interior, black vinyl top.
A car one could make an "every option" car except for maybe the sunroof.
This is one of those things I have wanted to post for many years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73 GA Velum-zoomed.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	567707  

The Following User Says Thank You to joegpho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 05:03 PM
Senior Chief

Yes 455 just not SD. Probably a D-port 4X head and 2 bolt mains. Know there were 7 GA SD prototypes in 73, all white but did not make it to production when the EPA discovered the games Pontiac was playing. Everything had to be recertified and Pontiac only paid for the Firebird.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember a 1973 Grand Am being advertised somewhere in eastern Florida some time after 1992, and probably before 2002. The drivetrain consisted of a SD455 long block assembly with a 72 HO intake. The car was either a factory 4-spd or had been converted to a 4-spd.

The seller never tried to pass it off as a factory SD455 car. He was very up front about locating the SD455 parts needed to convert the car.