Old 06-13-2021, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default need advice installed my new gas tank

i installed my new gas tank today on my 72 formula . but the issue i have now is i brook the ground wire off the sending unit .. can i ground the tank if i attach the wire to one of the tubes that comes off the sending unit . or do i have to remove the tank the solider the wire back on

Old 06-13-2021, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ground is attached to the sending unit, which has a rubber O ring, but still has a locking ring. You could attach a ground wire to the lip of the tank near the rear so you can ground it to body, BUT..., If it works, it may not be reliable for long period of time as it only has the locking ring contact to ground it. Unless you greased that area, its subject to corrosion. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2021, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
The ground is attached to the sending unit, which has a rubber O ring, but still has a locking ring. You could attach a ground wire to the lip of the tank near the rear so you can ground it to body, BUT..., If it works, it may not be reliable for long period of time as it only has the locking ring contact to ground it. Unless you greased that area, its subject to corrosion. Good luck!
thanks for the reply . is the tank already grounded with the straps

Old 06-14-2021, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
thanks for the reply . is the tank already grounded with the straps
NO... Tank has insulator/ vibration straps on top and bottom. ( You Did put them in, right? )
If its still empty, drop it, and do it right. Solder on a good ground and screw it to a clean spot at the strap mount out back, and a dab of grease on it..

Old 06-14-2021, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
NO... Tank has insulator/ vibration straps on top and bottom. ( You Did put them in, right? )
If its still empty, drop it, and do it right. Solder on a good ground and screw it to a clean spot at the strap mount out back, and a dab of grease on it..
i did the top , but not the bottom do you meant at the straps . my original tank was never done

Old 06-14-2021, 06:36 AM
Suspended

Drop it down and fix properly.