Old 10-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Default Pertronix

Have any of you had success with Pertronix Ignitors in the OHC engines? I installed the Ignitor II version last week and after a full week of tweaking and tuning I ended up going back to the points. The throttle response off-idle was great but it felt like it was missing something in the mid RPM range... Just didn't have the same 2000-3500 RPM torque as before. Went back to the points and all is good again.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Try a set of Accel points. If you want a stronger ignition us the points to trigger a MSD6AL box.. Or any of the other CD boxes..

What I dont get is whats wrong with the points? They are very reliable and fire the plugs well up to 7000 rpm..

Old 10-07-2020, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't add to why you're having problems but will only say that I have been running Petronix for well over 10 years now with ZERO issues.

Possibly a faulty unit?

Old 10-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Senior Chief

Did you wire it into the factory harness? Or directly to 12V. My guess is you wired it into the factory harness which has a resistor wire in it. It limits the voltage to around 9 volts. I have been using Pertronix in my Cammers for years. Much improvement over points.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintbird View Post
Did you wire it into the factory harness? Or directly to 12V. My guess is you wired it into the factory harness which has a resistor wire in it. It limits the voltage to around 9 volts. I have been using Pertronix in my Cammers for years. Much improvement over points.
Pertronix calls it "alternative installation" when you use a factory coil that requires a resistance wire. Coil stays resisted but not the Ignitor II.

From Pertronix
"B. Alternative Installation: The Ignitor II can also be installed in applications retaining
the ballast resistor or resistance wire.
• Attach the Ignitor II black wire to the negative coil terminal. Attach the Ignitor II red
wire to the ignition side of resistance, or any 12 volt ignition power source."

Above info from page 2 here.
https://images.carid.com/pertronix/p...structions.pdf

Curious how much ignition timing changed when you did the switch.

Clay

Old 10-08-2020, 10:10 AM

The whole system has been re-wired to make sure that there is a full 12 volts to the unit. I think we have narrowed it down to an advance plate that is sticky and not allowing the vacuum advance to actually advance the breaker plate like it should. When it's on the car and running you can goose the throttle and watch the vacuum advance... it only moves about 1/4 as far as the point style breaker plate. The thinking is that since it's not advancing like it should my low RPM, moderate-load torque is suffering. They are replacing the unit so we will see what it does with another one installed.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:51 PM

I have the basic Pertronix unit with stock wiring and stock coil, no issues works great.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thing you might want to take a close look at while you have this all apart is the original ground wire on the moving plate to the inside base of the distributor casting.

That wire gets wiggled back and forth a little bit every time you step on the gas. The module is attached to the moving pivot plate and that needs to be grounded to the engine block. If for any reason that Pertronix module looses it's ground it will fry the module in about 4 to 5 seconds. The warranty is void; they will not cover it if it's been run without a ground.

Over many years that tiny black wire could have several broken strands of copper inside, that or the vinyl insulation is brittle & cracked.

You need to take a close look at that wire. It's short black wire partially hidden underneath the breaker plate.