Old 02-05-2021, 12:47 AM
Senior Chief

Default 72 SJ sold new in Canada

I recently purchased a 72 SJ built at the Pontiac plant. The original paper work with the car has the original New Vehicle Warranty booklet with the selling dealers address (Jenner Pontiac Buick LTD Edmonton Alberta) and salesmans business card. It was sold new in Edmonton, Alberta on 10-21-71. Did Canadian sold cars not get a Protecto Plate? According to the booklet it says to present it to the dealer for warranty service and should remain with vehcile if sold. The booklet has all the vehicle and owners information like a Protecto Plate. It is also printed in both English and French. One side is in English and you flip it over and the other side is in French.

Something else that is interesting. The original owner is listed as Hughes Petroleum LTD. Is this a company car or did the purchaser put it in his companies name? I was told a woman sold the car to the second owner.

Thanks for any information.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:01 PM

There was a protecto plate with the 73 Grand Am I had. Checked the Canadian built 68 Beaumont and on the back page of the warranty/service book there is a protecto plate attached. Google Hughs Petroleum it started in 1956 and is still in business. Might have been a secritary authorized to dispose of company chattle or the owners wife.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for,the information. I just noticed that the warranty booklet has a glue outline of where the Protecto - Plate would be attached. I can even see an imprint on the paper from the raised characters on the plate. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:02 AM
Senior Chief

Hughes petroleum is a chain of gas stations/car washes.. Still around in Edmonton. Must have been a company car?

Jenner Pontiac has been gone for years.....

Old 02-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Senior Chief

The car was sold by a Leroy Mason of Calgary in 2004 and went to Texas. It stayed there till November 2020 and then was sold and went to Massachusetts. I recently bought it and brought it to Florida.

Seems strange to order a loaded SJ for a company car but who knows.

Thanks for the information it is always interesting to know the history on old cars.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:35 AM
Senior Chief

The Hughes family was pretty successful with their gas stations...The SJ might have belonged to a family member or some high level employee.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:28 PM

Yes Canadian cars have the protecto plate.

If wish could contact GM of Canada - Vintage Car services and get all the new car sale documented info on it when sold.

https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/option-info

Old 02-16-2021, 01:11 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiyak View Post
Yes Canadian cars have the protecto plate.

If wish could contact GM of Canada - Vintage Car services and get all the new car sale documented info on it when sold.

https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/option-info
Thanks! I will give that a try.