Old 04-20-2021, 12:16 PM

Default Legendary rear seat upholstery install on 68 bird

Does anyone have experience installing legendary rear seat upholstery on a 68 firebird?

The lowers were no problem, but the uppers don't look wide enough w/o some serious stretching. I talked to legendary and they said the covers are correct...

Old 04-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't remember but are convertible and HT the same? I wonder if there could be a mixup in the order.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:53 PM

I think they are the same. I have a vert which if anything should be narrower.

I got an email back from Legendary that said the originals had cotton on the backrest which is easier to install on vs foam. Their back seat kit came with both cotton and foam, so I guess maybe it will work better w cotton?

Old 04-20-2021, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use plastic sheet between the cover and the cushion, you will be glad you did, makes install way easier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Use plastic sheet between the cover and the cushion, you will be glad you did, makes install way easier.
Absolutely. I used dry cleaner bagging if I recall correctly.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:13 PM

Rear covers are always fairly tight.
Fold the cover inside out, then lay it over the cushion. The "side" should be fairly close to the actual cushion sides.

The cover will stretch a bit.
Convertible back seats are like 4" narrower so it will be really obvious if they are for a convertible and not a HT.
Legendary writes the part number on a tag sewn to the bottom edge of their covers, so you can verify if its right or not.

As others have mentioned, put a thin plastic sheet between the cotton & cover to help it slide.

Start at the bottom corners/bottom edge for rear upper cushions.

F-Body rear bottom seats are a bit of a beyotch because of the listing tucks around the hump that have to get attached down through the padding.

If you are tempted to use foam instead of cotton like OE did- i wouldn't recommend it if its your first seat cover. I've done a bunch of them and they are a PAIN. Look great when they are done though.

below is a 68 firebird back seat I did a couple months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210314_230457728.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	565144  

Old 04-21-2021, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Will let you know how it goes. Had no idea rears would be harder than buckets...

Old 04-22-2021, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two people helps a LOT ... having four hands pulling the cover spreads the load out a lot and seems easier on the cover.

Rambow, I'm thinking about pulling my rear cover off and adding like 1/2" of foam over the cotton. What do you think? I reused the old cover before I saw how affordable the Legendary rear covers were ... so new cover at the same time. Looks a little lumpy with the cotton ... and probably because I didn't use the plastic sheet on the bottom

Old 04-22-2021, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol... I still have my original back seat covers too. Just re-colored it so it matches the new stuff.