Old 05-07-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Dearborn to Muncie Conversion

Hi all, it's been 10 years since I last logged in here...

I have a 67 GTO Convertible with the original Dearborn 3 Speed Trans and I'm considering converting it to a M20 that I have lying around. The car needs a new clutch and the Dearborn needs work. It is not a high dollar show car but a driver so I'm not worried about originality today. Obviously I'm going to keep the Dearborn and all of the parts to go with the car if I ever decide to sell it, etc

I'm looking to get a good list of parts for the conversion.

I have the trans, and a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. Other than the new clutch, I'll need linkage and a mounting plate for the shifter, as well as a new yoke for the Muncie, probably a speedo gear, but what else am I missing?

Questions are - will the trans crossmember need to be modified or will the Munice bolt right in?

Is the 3 SP shifter handle the same as the 4 SP?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2021, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

You should be good. I did same change over years back on a 67 and only needed to change the yoke and shifter. Shifter handle from the 3 speed will work. If is the new style “plug in” real easy. Old style one pc handle will work but you will have to completely disassemble the shifter to change. As I recall the 3 speed driveshaft is about 3/8 inch shorter but I had no issues. Crossmember is same. I used same speedometer cable but it might depend on which side the Muncie you are using has the fitting on.

The Following User Says Thank You to helmerrock For This Useful Post: