The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-14-2021, 01:19 PM

Default Surface Conditioning Tools - anyone a fan?

As I start getting deeper into my restoration, I am looking at a couple of different tools that look like they might be helpful. Has anyone used something similar to this? It is a Sunex SX8200 surface blaster. it looks like it could handle the smaller contours of the undercarriage (frame, floor pans) as well as prepping a lot of other areas I have to derust. Dynabrade makes a similar tool.

Also, looking at the Eastwood Contour, but a search here only yielded on post with one person who really liked the Contour.

I have an angle grinder, and DA sander, but given that I am looking at stripping the body down as well (from what I can see, one sloppy coat of single stage enamel over the factory paint and primer), think that one of these may be a timesaver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	715m191z1DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	566551   Click image for larger version

Name:	nitrozip.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	566552   Click image for larger version

Name:	eastwood.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	566553  

Old 05-15-2021, 08:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought the JEGs version of the contour sander. Not impressed, it’s now collecting dust.

Don

Old 05-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Tim66
Default bodywork

I would use paint remover to strip the body,just do a small panel at a time.Top down,put tape on all openings so you do not get paint remover inside jams.Good luck enjoy the journey.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A friend of mine is using that Eastwood sander on his cutlass and loves it.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a woodworker first so the only tools I have ever used are electric powered. I use the heck out of a 5" orbital to sand a car down to bare metal. May be slower than other ways (I wouldnt know though) but works great. In my day job we usually go through 4 or 5 sanders a year so I started buying the cheapy Ryobis. They actually are better than the more expensive makitas and dewalts we kept throwing away.

Another tool I recently bought that works miracles in tight spots is a milwaukee right angle die grinder battery powered. Its a bit expensive but I have a full support of milwaukee stuff with extra batteries. This thing uses up a small battery in a 5 minutes and the larger one will run about 15 on full power. I have a 2" roloc hooked up and use a variety of grits. It will knock off rust and all the way up to a polish.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

I used the Eastwood sander on my firebird and it made stripping the car a fast job, the only thing is now it just sits on the shelf because that pretty much all it does is strip coatings.