Old 05-20-2021, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 05-20-2021, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can conjure several ideas on what is going on - but they all equal STUPID.
All The Way Around.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, l don't know about the firewall but you sure can't verify the vin by the frame rail.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
On a side note, that vin is registered in Ross county with the Ohio DMV so someone has a current title (maybe it is the person with the tags?). Yet the Ebay ad states Shelby, Ohio which is nowhere near Ross county.
Well, I guess we know where the missing VIN tag ended up. The funny thing about it that the other car owner with the transplanted VIN probably knows nothing about what a cool car it was originally on! Although it looks like Chillicothe is in Ross county, the title from 73 says Chillicothe. Maybe the seller also has a newer OHIO title issued in 2017? Just a thought.

Last edited by 68pongto; 05-20-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68pongto View Post
Well, I guess we know where the missing VIN tag ended up. The funny thing about it that the other car owner with the transplanted VIN probably knows nothing about what a cool car it was originally on!
Unless he ordered the PHS and Jim Matteson put a notation pointing it out. I think he does that sometimes?

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2021, 10:13 AM
Senior Chief

My car was built 05D and invoiced 5/31/68. There is no hand written notes on the Billing History card. It is a Pontiac plant car. My PHS does have a handwritten note saying it is a Ram Air II GTO.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, I guess we know where the missing VIN tag ended up. The funny thing about it that the other car owner with the transplanted VIN probably knows nothing about what a cool car it was originally on! Although it looks like Chillicothe is in Ross county, the title from 73 says Chillicothe. Maybe the seller also has a newer OHIO title issued in 2017? Just a thought.
My guess the guy knows exactly what he has as being a r/a II he might not know the tags are have been put on another car. If someone put the tags on a different car don’t you think they would option and paint car to match tags?

Old 05-21-2021, 12:58 PM
Senior Chief

Personally if tags and data plate are missing I would assume someone took them to use on another car. Because most people are unaware of what a RA II is someone may have wanted to "create" a GTO. There is a chance those who took them did know they are for a RA II but not as likely. There are all kinds of possibilities but none of them end up being good.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
My guess the guy knows exactly what he has as being a r/a II he might not know the tags are have been put on another car. If someone put the tags on a different car don’t you think they would option and paint car to match tags?
I don't know? It still amazes me the number of people that have no clue about PHS (Pontiac Historical "Society") Just Kidding, I know it's Services! Back in the day people would switch tags, remove them from a junkyard car and make their lemans a GTO. They just looked for the 242 and didn't look any future, they just knew "now it was a GTO" !

Old 05-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
My car was built 05D and invoiced 5/31/68. There is no hand written notes on the Billing History card. It is a Pontiac plant car. My PHS does have a handwritten note saying it is a Ram Air II GTO.
My Billing History Card from the Pontiac plant is dated 5/28/1968 and a build date of 05C and it has no handwritten price increase either.

The Following User Says Thank You to 68pongto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

Purchased a non running 70 RA IV Judge 4 speed Orbit Orange back in mid 80's. Originally just wanted the RA IV heads for a race motor I was building. After confirming the Judge emblem on glovebox was original and a box of spare parts had a NOS set of Judge stripes/decals, I decided to store the car until I finished the race car. Also a friend who ran a body shop recognized the car and said he painted it Cardinal Red, replaced fender, and fixed the door. The guy did not like the Orange color so they painted it red! I lost storage space and ended up parting out the car and selling rolling body to a guy who put a roll bar in it and a BBC. A few years later someone I sold parts too asked if I knew where the car was. I tracked it down but it was beat/rusty and just a roller. They were not really interested in restoring that car. They wanted the tags to build one like it. The guy who had it knew what it was and by then had the PHS on it. I think it rotted to the ground or got crushed. Never saw or heard of it again.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well the plot thickens on this car. Asked questions to the seller and got some interesting info.

He bought six cars off the daughter of Ronald l Sams down in Chillicothe Ohio in an estate sale. He got the paperwork with the car he is showing. He had no idea that the vin was registered already. Ronald Sams had owned the car since 1973. (It had to be almost buried in a field to get that bad)

Here is the rub. Ronald Sams died in 2016. The new tile was issued in 2017.
SO maybe the tags were stolen? If someone wanted to really fight this, you may end up with the actual tags and car. What the car is worth with the tags would be up to speculation. Would think you would need the Sams family’s help though to straighten out who is the rightful owner.

Either way, we do have another Ram air vin code. Now is it truly a RAII, or an accounting error RAI? That would be very had to establish unless the block with the EUN shows up. Who knows maybe the person with the vin has the block.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:40 AM
Senior Chief

Default RA II Wanted

I own a '68 Ram Air II SR engine with as cast 9792506 block. I'd like to find an original RAII car with a NOM. Any leads are appreciated.

Thx!

Old 03-07-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
I own a '68 Ram Air II SR engine with as cast 9792506 block. I'd like to find an original RAII car with a NOM. Any leads are appreciated.

Thx!
The Boss (screen name here) was selling an original R/A II GTO a couple years ago. Think he had at least the 96 heads but maybe track that thread down or talk to The Boss

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 03-08-2022, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun68 View Post
The Boss (screen name here) was selling an original R/A II GTO a couple years ago. Think he had at least the 96 heads but maybe track that thread down or talk to The Boss
I bought that car from Chris in 2017, It is currently undergoing a frame-off restoration.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun68 View Post

Had another XW to go with it too. Looking forward to seeing that car at MCACN.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Had another XW to go with it too. Looking forward to seeing that car at MCACN.
is this my old car?

Old 03-09-2022, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
is this my old car?
Yes, it is the Verdoro Green automatic car. The frame is done and the bodywork is mostly done. I still need to find someone to get going on rebuilding the engine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68pongto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes, it is the Verdoro Green automatic car. The frame is done and the bodywork is mostly done. I still need to find someone to get going on rebuilding the engine.
cant wait to see it done.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
cant wait to see it done.

We'll have to go.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978