Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-06-2021, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dash carrier glue?

Is there a glue that works on the plastic dash carriers on a 68 Pontiac? It felt kind of like polystyrene but glue for that didn't touch it. I've got some hairline cracks I'd like to attempt to glue up so it would have to be a thin product, like solvent that would seep into the tight fitting fractures.

Not really considering "super glue", I'd prefer something that is a plastic solvent , think "model glue". I've got a plastic welder I'm willing to try if I knew for sure what kind of plastic it is.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a little booklet called "The Book of Plastic Repair" 9th edition. It is supplied from www.urethanesupply.com If you can't get a copy on-line, I can send the one I have to you. It has allot of good information in it. Procedures, materials, supplies and such. PM me if you want me to send.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent website ... and the 10th edition is out, just downloaded the PDF. Thank you very much, that should be very helpful.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great. I repaired cracks in my 62 dash pad using their products, but then had the core recovered with new vinyl after prepping it. It had allot of damage. Looks pretty good now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash 4.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	567886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	567887  

Old 06-09-2021, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Using one of their suggested methods I grooved the crack on the back side and used epoxy, I added some reinforcement by cutting a little plate of aluminum flashing (probably about 0.015" thick), roughed it up with 50 grit and pressed it into the epoxy. Seems to have worked nice, and still flat enough to fit the metal dash nicely.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Using one of their suggested methods I grooved the crack on the back side and used epoxy, I added some reinforcement by cutting a little plate of aluminum flashing (probably about 0.015" thick), roughed it up with 50 grit and pressed it into the epoxy. Seems to have worked nice, and still flat enough to fit the metal dash nicely.
Good deal Post a pic or two when done. When I found out "Just Dash's" wanted $1500.00 to recover my 62 Catalina dash which is pretty flat and simple, I knew there had to be some other way to get decent results. Dash pads and other interior soft materials is an area that could use many more vendors and some competition to pull the prices back into reality and help keep the hobby from being only for the elite.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: