Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good day to be a Pontiac with that log manifold!!! You guys have no idea what I have to deal with to get my headers done. I had to make a header and he made a jig out of the one I made and made the bend better as he has access on some tight bend tubing..

Old 10-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it is. I was just going to make my own when I saw these available. They will save tons of time and headaches.

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 10-04-2019, 02:42 PM

I have been looking at these as well. I wonder if I could make them work with a March Serpentine system.

1980 Trans Am - Street/Strip 462
Best: 7.08@95 with 1.49 60' in the 1/8th. 11.17@119.8 in the 1/4. N/A, 3700 lbs, 3.42's, Pump Gas.

Admin of Pure Pontiac Powered Outlaws on Facebook.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Senior Chief

I reached out to Stainless Header Mfg the other day and here is the response I received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless Header Mfg -Email
Hey Nick,

That’s great to hear! Not sure why the first one you came across was for the Airboat version, here is a link to the automotive page: https://www.stainlessheaders.com/pro..._Turbo_Header/

They are exactly the same product, just available on different parts of the website for various applications.

As for pricing, that $799.90 is for a PAIR of the log manifolds, in American Made 304 Stainless, 0.120” thick tubing. All hand-crafted, hand-welded.

Was the order placed within the last day or two? If so, then that’s great! I should have that ready to go shortly.

I’ll get an account made up on the forum and add any details, if that works for the group?

Also, group purchases are always welcome. If we can get multiple sets going at one time, we can also look at price discounts for group orders. I will just need some advance notice to get quantities of ½” slotted flanges stocked up. (1-2 weeks should be enough time)

I am headed out of the shop in about 2 minutes, but I will chime in on the forum tonight, and keep in touch tomorrow through this email.

Side note, I’m actually a huge Pontiac guy myself, I have a ’78 T/A I built and have been daily driving since I was 16. So seeing all this interest in the Pontiac Log Manifolds really gets me excited.

If you have any pressing questions after hours (I’m in the shop 8 am-5pm CST M-F), you can always email me at my personal email as well: zimmermas@gmail.com.

Otherwise, I look forward to checking out the forum tonight!

Thanks a lot,

Steve Zimmerman
Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc
Phone: 651-448-8661 Fax: 651-448-8675
1135 North 7th Street
Lake City, MN 55041

[http://www.stainlessheaders.com]www....essheaders.com

HEADERS LOGO QB
SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 10-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good info, I hope he does d ports too.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Boost Engineer

This will probably make this thread width large but you can see the welding that the gentleman does.
Click on picture to make larger or copy to another location and expand the photo.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom-Turbo-Downpipes-and-Mockup-Kits.png.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	521566  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work fair play.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd be in for a D port log manifold, from here I could get my local to finish the rest with the DP. $800 with v band outlets would be ideal.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Intake & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks Hot Rod SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aerospace Front & Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, Powersteering.com Pump & 12:1 Box, QA1 Front Arms & Viking Berz CO + Rear Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 10-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Web site says they make d ports too.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Senior Chief

Guys, Steve from Stainless Headers gave me a breakdown on pricing for a possible Group Purchase.

This is just an estimate, but should be close in terms of pricing:

Here is an optional Group Purchase breakdown...

Qty 1: $799.90
Qty 3: $784.90
Qty 5: $764.90
Qty 10: $734.95

So I will start the list below. If you would like to add your name... simply copy and past the most current list into a new post and then add your name.

I will start:

1) AIR RAM (Nick) (Round Port)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

**Not compatible with standard Pontiac "D-Port" heads. Meant to fit stock Ram Air IV heads and all aftermarket variations, i.e. Edelbrock Performer and KRE High Port cylinder heads**

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Intake & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks Hot Rod SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aerospace Front & Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, Powersteering.com Pump & 12:1 Box, QA1 Front Arms & Viking Berz CO + Rear Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 10-07-2019, 11:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree, you need to make sure that the "D-Port" applies to Factory Pontiac Cast Iron "D-Port" heads.

I am reading that it applies to aftermarket "D-Port" aluminum heads or to Factory 455 HO and RA-IV Round Port heads as well as Aftermarket Round Port heads.
(No RA-V heads or stock cast iron street type Pontiac Heads).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1) AIR RAM (Nick) (Round Port)
2) mysticmissle (JEFF) (roundports)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 10-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc
Hey Nick,

So unfortunately those turbo log headers are currently not an option for the stock Pontiac heads. The two center ports are so tight together, using the 2” OD, .120” tubing we use for our other systems just simply doesn’t fit. There could be a way to squeeze that together, and even weld it at the flange, since it can be welded from the back side of the tubes, and back up inside. However, making the cutouts and copes on those tubes when it would meet up to the main log itself, and trying to get that piece welded is a much more difficult process. I’m sure it can be done, but not for $799.90.

I definitely understand the market and availability of these heads, but the exhaust port design makes this style of fabricated manifold very, very difficult.

The other two flanges pictured are what we carry for the Ram Air IV style heads, and they fit the Edelbrock and KRE style heads, as well as the factory design, and whatever other aftermarket heads exist with that design. Those only differ in the port design, and for these turbo manifolds, the round port works for both the ‘d-port’ as well as the round port, as the round port encompasses the entire ‘d-port’.

Also, we do carry the flanges for the Ram Air V heads, just no current demand/design for a log-style manifold to fit that style of head yet. If that does come up, and someone wishes to help us with a design on the Ram Air V heads, we would certainly welcome help with setting those up as well!

Hopefully I’m able to keep answering questions well enough for everyone up at the forum through here. I signed up last week for the forum, but still haven’t been given posting or reply permissions. So, for now, having you showing everyone these emails works!

I would be more than happy to include Erik’s order in with the rest of the group. If/when the group is able to come together and process all those manifolds, I will definitely refund him whatever the difference results in.

Thanks,

Steve Zimmerman
Phone: 651-448-8661 Fax: 651-448-8675

1135 North 7th Street
Lake City, MN

[http://www.stainlessheaders.com]www....essheaders.com
Guys, if you fall into the category of the above factory stock heads and are interested we should add your names to the list and just notate what you have... if there are enough of you guys then perhaps he will give them a shot. This is the time to let him know though...

1) Erik B - (Will be refunded difference)
2) AIR RAM (Nick) (Round Port)
3) Mysticmissle (JEFF) (roundports)
(First Price point) Qty 3: $784.90
4)
5)
(Second Price Point) Qty 5: $764.90
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
(Third Price Point) Qty 10: $734.95

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_Pontaic High Port D Port.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	521764   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_Pontiac High Port.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	521765   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_Stock D Port.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	521766  

Last edited by AIR RAM; 10-08-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Hey Nick,

Not sure if it will work or not yet, but we did come up with another idea for the stock D-port heads today during one of our meetings. We may be able to run our current design of turbo manifold, but as a 3-tube runner. Meaning, we would combine the two center cylinders into one larger tube, accommodating the overall flow requirements, and then run just the single tube into the log manifold. With the primaries being so short, I don’t feel there will be any significant impact from the loss of individual tube set up.

I’m making a quick drawing right now, with a potential 3D model to follow. If you want to run it by the forum, and see their thoughts, it might be a solution to that design as well!

Thanks,

Steve Zimmerman
What do you guys think about the proposed Turbo Manifold for the Factory D Ports?

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current Group Buy List

4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Old 10-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Hey Nick,

Here is a (rough) rendering of what that Pontiac turbo header would look like. Pardon the poor fitment on a couple of the tubes, I was using existing CAD modeled parts to make the rendering up quicker, just to give an idea of what the system will look like.

The overall dimensions and fitment will be identical to the Ram Air IV style turbo header (assuming fitment is good for most applications).

The dual-center tube expansion also will not be visible past the flange.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,

Steve Zimmerman
I have attached a few Cad drawings of the renderings... Feedback is wanted...

Tom V, you're the "turbo master"... what are your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current Group Buy List

4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
SPEED SAFE, NICK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Iron Head D-Port flange.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	521785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Turbo Header Back View.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	521786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Turbo Header Top View.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	521787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Turbo Header Bottom View.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	521788  

Old 10-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Similar to how I did my manifolds for d ports. They work fine...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	manifold_PS_3.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	521789  

Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is GREAT stuff! I think there should be posts to link in to the Street, Race, and Exhaust sections to get more exposure...
I SO want to do this, but I'm upside down, cash wise, right now :-/
The D-port (REAL D-ports, not the Round port as a D) design sounds very promising. I'm guessing A, F, X, and B bodies could use the same manifold.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken View Post
Similar to how I did my manifolds for d ports. They work fine...
You might have slightly less velocity coming out of the two center ports and you might have slightly less heat transferred to the Turbo Turbine Inlet vs a 4 tube arrangement or a RA-V type system BUT for anything less than an all out race vehicle the design will work (as firechicken posted) JUST FINE.

Cast Iron Log Ford GT manifolds have powered 5.4L engines to 200 plus MPH on the street and at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The Custom Built Pontiac Manifolds should be just fine.

Tom V.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455 View Post
This is GREAT stuff! I think there should be posts to link in to the Street, Race, and Exhaust sections to get more exposure...
I SO want to do this, but I'm upside down, cash wise, right now :-/
The D-port (REAL D-ports, not the Round port as a D) design sounds very promising. I'm guessing A, F, X, and B bodies could use the same manifold.
If you like share the information and pass it around. With just two more people on this GP we drop to the next price break...

SPEED SAFE, NICK