Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:28 PM

Default Mechanic Recommendation

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I live in Damascus/Laytonsville area in Maryland, and need to find a local mechanic that has a lot of experience working on Pontiac motors like my 67 400. The motor runs great, cam is just too small.

I would like to swap my camshaft over from a comp cams xe262 to a crower 60916.

thanks

Old 02-12-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gaydosh Performance in Baltimore.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know of a guy in Gettysburg that is supposed to be pretty good. He is building a motor for a buddy right now. I do not know the shop but if you may be interested send me a pm and I can get the info.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:26 PM

Got it, thanks Chris

I reached out to him via email and will follow up with a phone call next week.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:28 PM

Thanks TAKerry, appreciate it

Old 02-12-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Hey Chris, I talked with John today. I'm looking forward to working with him in a few weeks when he is done working on a GTO.

thanks for the recommendation!

Old 02-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem, pm me if you need more info.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

i would rethink that if i were you. speaking from personal experience.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Zeek you want to elaborate? No harm in telling the truth. My personal experience is a 400 I ran for 11yrs/32k miles that ran great when I pulled it and my 467 I've run for 2yrs/6k miles. Gaydosh has built a LOT of engines for guys I know in the Royal GTOs and Pontiacs here in Md. Only one I know that wasn't happy sabotaged his own engine by sandblasting it after it was built.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
No problem, pm me if you need more info.
Cool, I sent you a PM Chris, want to get your thoughts on a couple tech items.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Jim Zeek you want to elaborate? No harm in telling the truth. My personal experience is a 400 I ran for 11yrs/32k miles that ran great when I pulled it and my 467 I've run for 2yrs/6k miles. Gaydosh has built a LOT of engines for guys I know in the Royal GTOs and Pontiacs here in Md. Only one I know that wasn't happy sabotaged his own engine by sandblasting it after it was built.
Bought a Gaydosh built and checked "put oil in it and go" race engine. Found broken valve spring 2 days after got it home to go into storage for a year or two til car was built. Bought a car following spring and was getting ready to install it. And noticed a few things i didn't like. Took to my machine shop and found several problems. Engine had maybe 60 passes. Supposed to have new rods and pistons. Found 4 different styles of pins that looked like they were laying around before being installed. When confronted jack took no responsibility to the previous owner or me. After spending several thousand dollars to fix it. ( I upgraded some of the parts which added to the cost but it still needed thousands of dollars to make it usable). He came over to me at a car event after I Dyno the repaired motor and I told him I could not believe he did this to a friend of almost 20 years. And knowing that engine was going in a car that my daughter was going to be driving. And proceeded to tell me well" that's racing". Not only did he do it to me but he did it to the original person that he built the motor for. And after talking to several other people could have had stuff done by him and had issues nobody wants to say anything bad because "jack does a lot for everyone". Well he did something to the wrong person and I kept quiet about it for 3 years. So like I said, being friends with Jack for almost 20 years ,he is the last person I thought would screw me or my family.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_152050.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	560936   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_152209.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	560937  

Old 02-17-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim that sucks and a whole lot doesn't add up there. Like I said, I've had nothing but good experience but I'm on a different planet in regards to performance than you.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes Jim that sucks..... have had several motors and an array of other repairs / installations performed by Jack...….. super helpful guy that seems to always go the extra mile and like you said helps everyone! Any concerns I have had with any work performed, Jack has always been responsive even if the concern is self inflicted (lol). Jack always answers my questions no matter how dumb and wiling to provide advice. Jack can attest to my many calls and texts when I am in need of assistance (which I'm sure can be annoying) but he always responds. While no one is perfect, I would be very surprised if his response to an issue with a motor he built was "that's racing". Even if he felt that way, I can't picture him saying it. To be clear Jim, I not doubting your accounts of the incident nor am I taking any shots at you what so ever. I wish you guys could have worked something out. I appreciate your willingness to elaborate and share your experience and not just leave us hanging

Old 02-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
, I would be very surprised if his response to an issue with a motor he built was "that's racing".
Why would I lie about that? he followed it up by saying how would you like to spend $25,000 on a pro stock engine and have it blow up on the 1st pass? He needs to find better friends to buy motors from. I thought with me and the original owner being friends I could trust him. So imagine my "surprise" when i found out I was wrong. I have more pictures of this "put oil in it and go" engine. he probably figured if i didn't take it apart, by the time i figured out it was junk it could have been blamed on me. I still have the parts and list of what was done on refresh. those pins do not look like they should have been in new rods and pistons let alone in the same rotating assembly. You don't know what someone puts in or recycles into your engine unless you see it for yourself

Old 02-18-2021, 08:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Jim Zeek;6226748]Why would I lie about that?

Jim....I am not calling you a liar...…. I was not there.....and you have the right to feel as you do..... if you feel he screwed you over on top of being a friend. I am Just stating I know at times I frustrate the hell of of Jack....and he may have wanted to cuss me all the way but I have never experienced that side of Jack ….. by no means am making excuses for anything that may have transpired...But we all have off days....

I am sure after all the years I've known/dealt with Jack, if I felt like he screwed me over, I would be more hurt than angry, because I believe he is a good person and consider him a friend and of course that only my opinion.

But if it did happen...I would feel just as thrown off / in disbelief as I'm sure you feel....

"You don't know what someone puts in or recycles into your engine unless you see it for yourself"
Yes your right …and that's where trust must come in to play....

Last edited by Mook; 02-18-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:13 AM

Default the real story

jim you only tell one side of the story troy wanted 15 grand for that engine you beat him down to 10 grand and the only reason he was selling it because he was going thru Cancer treatments but lets back up troy hurt the engine two years before you bought the engine he wanted to go to norwalk to race not knowing if it would be his last time so i took the engine apart it need 4 pistons and some liftters troy did not have the money to buy pistons or wait for a new set when originalput the engine together it had JE pistons i told troy i had 4 ross pistons i would give him and some liffters so he could go to norwalk so i put it all together for him with the parts i had witch i wanted him to be able to go he made the trip and went to a few outlaw pontiac races after that too then his health got worse and he could not keep up with the maintenance on the engine so he asked me to pull the oil pan off and check the bearings i asked him if he checked the valves before he took it out of the car he told me yes and all were good so the only thing i did was pull the pan off and check the bearings and that was it and i told you before you bought the engine it had 4 differnt pistons in it and i did not charge troy a dime so i made no money off of this engine as i was just trying to help a friend. i am not a far weather racer i try to race 3 time a week back then i know what it is like to stay up untill 3 in the morring and go get a shower and drive 20 plus hours to make a race i help the farmer one night at the butlers shop put three differnt pistons in his engine to make a race sometime real racers do what they have to do to make a race especial when your friend is battling Cancer and wants to go to the biggest pontiac race of the year. so jim i would of done the same for you too but you only like to tell one side of the story and then you made troy give back 2500 dollars that he really could not afford after i told you i would supply you with liffters and springs that i had in stock for free but you dont tell anyone that just how you got cheated but you dont think that you took advantage of troy you recived a 35 thousand dollar engine for 75 hundred dollars when he was sick and going thru Cancer treatments, just like you bad mouth langer when you bought his engine jim you need to tell the whole story before you start bad mouthing people the next time this will becoming from my Lawyer

The Following User Says Thank You to pro128 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said I have 100% confidence in Gaydosh and would not hesitate to use him again or recommend him. Dude is A1 in my book.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro128 View Post
jim you only tell one side of the story troy wanted 15 grand for that engine you beat him down to 10 grand and the only reason he was selling it because he was going thru Cancer treatments but lets back up troy hurt the engine two years before you bought the engine he wanted to go to norwalk to race not knowing if it would be his last time so i took the engine apart it need 4 pistons and some liftters troy did not have the money to buy pistons or wait for a new set when originalput the engine together it had JE pistons i told troy i had 4 ross pistons i would give him and some liffters so he could go to norwalk so i put it all together for him with the parts i had witch i wanted him to be able to go he made the trip and went to a few outlaw pontiac races after that too then his health got worse and he could not keep up with the maintenance on the engine so he asked me to pull the oil pan off and check the bearings i asked him if he checked the valves before he took it out of the car he told me yes and all were good so the only thing i did was pull the pan off and check the bearings and that was it and i told you before you bought the engine it had 4 differnt pistons in it and i did not charge troy a dime so i made no money off of this engine as i was just trying to help a friend. i am not a far weather racer i try to race 3 time a week back then i know what it is like to stay up untill 3 in the morring and go get a shower and drive 20 plus hours to make a race i help the farmer one night at the butlers shop put three differnt pistons in his engine to make a race sometime real racers do what they have to do to make a race especial when your friend is battling Cancer and wants to go to the biggest pontiac race of the year. so jim i would of done the same for you too but you only like to tell one side of the story and then you made troy give back 2500 dollars that he really could not afford after i told you i would supply you with liffters and springs that i had in stock for free but you dont tell anyone that just how you got cheated but you dont think that you took advantage of troy you recived a 35 thousand dollar engine for 75 hundred dollars when he was sick and going thru Cancer treatments, just like you bad mouth langer when you bought his engine jim you need to tell the whole story before you start bad mouthing people the next time this will becoming from my Lawyer
Bull**** Jack. you better get your facts straight. I'll dig out my old computer and get the for sale ad. I did not beat anyone down on price for that engine. I paid the exact asking price. I still have the old parts including the bearings right as they came out of that engine. I also have pictures of it as my shop took it apart. I found the broken spring 2 days after we got it home when I removed the valve cover and found pieces of the valve seal sitting below the springs because i was removing rockers since the motor was going to sit a year or two til we built her car. You sent me the valve springs that were on the heads when you rebuilt it and had problems on the dyno. They were only double springs. I didn't find that out until I went to replace the broken one over a year later when i was getting ready to install the engine into the new car we bought. Maybe that is why there was an issue trying to run a .900 plus lift on double valve springs. You told me that the springs on it were PAC. I called PAC and asked if they could tell what springs i had by the color of the stripe on them. They said they don't have a stripe on their springs. so I texted you (i have the screenshot of the end of that text) asking for more information to figure out what springs i needed. You got irritated because you knew you didn't have an answer and ended the messaging which I shared with troy at the time. When I pulled the timing cover to install the motor plate, i didn't like the looks of the timing chain so I went to replace it and didn't like the way it was, between that and the valve springs I decided to take it to my machine shop and that is where the condition of the engine was discovered. I'll finish the rest of the story later when i have more time. I'll add the pictures up to this point. And show the rest when I finish

Old 02-19-2021, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20170203-175742.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	561103   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161212_171241.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	561104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161212_171259.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	561105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161217_133152.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	561106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161217_133213.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	561107  

Old 02-19-2021, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And now that I've gone through the pictures I see why I figured out that the wrong valve springs were on there in the first place. Quiz the retainers I took off work dual spring retainers and they were eating themselves up on the valve springs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170326_145213.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	561108