Old 03-05-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I know the new stuff has the foam backing attached to the fabric. I would surmise thats how the original was as well. So, if yours is crumbling and falling loose I dont see how its in great shape. The foam is the part that dry rots and degrades over time. Simply putting the fabric direct on the board wont be correct. I suppose one could make sure the fabric was perfectly cleaned of all the old foam and glue new foam to the fabric, then glue that back to the headliner board.

Yeah we’ve opted to get the ready to install headliner that Classic Industries sells. I’m getting it through my new supplier on Face Book in the group Second Gen Graveyard. I’ve been buying from him for 2 years now great guy and great inventory of both new and used parts. His prices are always lower then the catalogues. The headliner he is selling me is the same one Classic Industries sells.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Yeah we’ve opted to get the ready to install headliner that Classic Industries sells. I’m getting it through my new supplier on Face Book in the group Second Gen Graveyard. I’ve been buying from him for 2 years now great guy and great inventory of both new and used parts. His prices are always lower then the catalogues. The headliner he is selling me is the same one Classic Industries sells.
glad you went the ready to install route, much easier to do it that way... but did you compare prices to the links i posted above? no offense to the graveyard guy but his prices are not "always" lower than other retailers. i mentioned the ACC carpet you asked about awhile back on FB... his prices were $50-$70 more than the link i posted to rock auto for the exact same part. many/most of these repro parts are not stocked, they are drop shipped from the manufacturer.

just trying to help save some $$

Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
glad you went the ready to install route, much easier to do it that way... but did you compare prices to the links i posted above? no offense to the graveyard guy but his prices are not "always" lower than other retailers. i mentioned the ACC carpet you asked about awhile back on FB... his prices were $50-$70 more than the link i posted to rock auto for the exact same part. many/most of these repro parts are not stocked, they are drop shipped from the manufacturer.

just trying to help save some $$

Yes I buy a lot of things from John, he gave me a better deal. I just gave him $800.00 worth of business.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-05-2021, 09:57 PM
Suspended

I find the fbook guys are a bit more of a trend for those who recommend. So I'm not on it, only so much room on the bandwagon.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
I find the fbook guys are a bit more of a trend for those who recommend. So I'm not on it, only so much room on the bandwagon.

The guy I buy from on Face Book owns a legitimate business off Face Book as well.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-23-2021, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

I read alot of great stories about those plastic headliners not fitting up. I just did a headliner in my 1978 Trans Am last week from AMES. The hardest part of the headliner is removal and installation. Once the board is out, scrape off the old foam, go over the entire board with a red scotch brite pad to make sure you have ALL the old foam off. Blow it with a blow gun then get out the 3M adhesive and go to town. Trim with a sharp razor blade. Not only did it come out perfect, the board fits the car! Also this is the way Pontiac did it and the only way that's factory correct... which sounds like that matters to a few members on here.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Year one had the best prices and selection when I did mine, in another thread, canamman was stating you stored your car incorrectly due to the foam deterioration, but that’s not true, it happens to all headliners sooner or later.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 04-25-2021, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4