Old 05-13-2021, 08:30 PM

Default Securing LED Tail Light Board in Housing?

I got a set of LED tail light boards from our hosts for my '66 GTO.

The manufacturer is Classic LEDs. The boards are nice and they have a simple connector, so the electrics seem to be good.

The problem is with the physical fit in tail light housing. There is nothing stopping them from moving around left / right or in / out. The fit well up / down, but that is about it.

I've attached a picture to show what I mean. It is easy to see the side-to-side clearance. There is probably 1/4 - 1/2 space where it can move in/out - like during acceleration and braking...

Has anyone else used these? Am I missing something? Are there supposed to be brackets and I just got a mis-shipment??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8093.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	566523  

Old 05-13-2021, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about 66 tail lights so I can't comment on the board moving, Is there nothing in the instructions about securing the board? On my 67 I just replaced the conventional bulbs with LEDs.

Last edited by fyrffytr1; 05-13-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at my '66 taillight housings and lenses on the shelf here at home, I don't see a way to secure those boards without doing something like gluing small wood blocks to the taillight housing for the LED board to rest upon, and then gluing the LED boards to the wood blocks. Not exactly an elegant solution, though. Personally, I don't see the point of these big LED boards given that individual LED bulbs which fit in place of conventional bulbs now exist. They're so much simpler.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-13-2021, 11:58 PM

I did some quick measurements and I think it might be possible to put the boards in the red lens area. They are deep on the 66.

My thought is to fasten the board to a thin piece of plastic and seat the plastic in the channel around the edge of the housing. Then the plastic would sandwich between the lens and housing - holding the boards in place.

I chose the boards for the look of all the led “dots”. I like it. Definitely would easier and faster to have just swapped in the bulb equivalent units. Of course, if these things don’t work out, I may be there anyway 😉.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:44 PM

Update.
Apparently the common solution is to glue the boards into the housing.
Trim adhesive will work.
You just have to be super careful about grounding to not short something out, but other than that it is just that simple.

I was hoping for an old school approach to where I could take them out with a couple of screws in case I ever had to replace them or whatever.
I know LEDs last a really long time, but random leaks and strange things sometimes happen on old cars.
Like water gets in, fries a board, etc.
Might be over-thinking it, but I just like to be able to take things apart easily.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a great idea by whoever thought of it. I'm wondering there's a way to do the Sequential signal light trick with them. I have the kit in mine that works with the bulbs.

This is from a previous thread I started.....

"Do the LED tail lights and parking lights, plus rear sequential signal lights. www.webelectricproducts.com STS-1 Sequential Turn Signals, $69 - For cars with 3 lamps on each side. Guaranteed for as long as you own the car." Note: I did mine a few years back, so prices have probably gone up.

A kit is also available for just 2 lamps each side.

There is also a kit for the Firebirds that converts the the outer tail light to Brake/Turn/Tail light....... STS-3TA Sequencer Kit

The say 93 t0 02 but show a 78 and 79 Firebird. Call them and ask. Go the Contact, put in your info and they call you.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 05-25-2021 at 03:18 PM.