Old 05-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Lower mileage 81 Trans Am

This isn't mine obviously since it is at a dealer local to me. The price seem kind of high (well, you know, dealer) for an 81 even if it is in nice shape and has lower miles. Are these really all that desirable or collectible? Not trying to be a smart alec, just asking a legit question.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...Anull%7D%22%7D

Old 05-20-2021, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Numerous lower mile '80 & '81 Turbo SE's have sold in that range & for more. The key is they were loaded low mile Special Edition Turbo cars in very nice shape.

Interesting '81 Turbo SE....
The custom interior door panels, seat overs, & floor mats are '79 & '80 model usage. 62X Camel tan lombardy cloth/camel hobnail inserts. '78-80's with camel tan interiors received Camel tan dash assembly & camel door panels, consoles, etc. With custom interior a Big 4 combo on the camel tan.

1981's ordered with the custom cloth interior came with Pimloco cloth inserts (a wide corduroy pattern). In the trim used in this '81 SE Turbo, the dash assembly, console, steering wheel & column are the correct dk chocolate color, the rest is incorrect color, should be a lighter color of tan.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Assuming it actually is a special edition and still has the turbo in actual low miles, the price isn't outlandish for what these cars are going for among the moneyed classes. That said, the items oPH pointed out are of note, plus the dash has been cut for a fancy lights radio. No pictures of the engine compartment, no documentation of it being an SE. The website has a few more pictures that show the body and claim it to be 100% original, perhaps the car is on consignment and they are going by what the owner says. It does have the turbo hood lights which are neat in and of themselves.

Pretty pricey, I'd want more photos and maybe a chat with whoever is the owner\seller so that I could be satisfied. And in the end I'd have to really want it at that price...

Old 05-20-2021, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Not one engine bay photo, know your customer base.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a nice car but does seem a bit high for all of the above reasons. It may have repro seats which could be a reason for the colour 'not being right'. I didnt see that it said the car is 'original' jut low mileage. I looked at an '81 turbo se a few years ago that was for sale. Had been parked behind a barn and needed a total restoration, it was rough. Car only had 25k miles on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 10:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, honestly this is a local dealer I'd never do business with anyway. Too many bad stories. But mostly I was curious about the car itself. These were new when I was a young man and we always thought they were bloated and a bad representative of the image of the Trans Am. Lots of broken down turbo motors too as I recall. We all preferred the older 60s and 70s cars to new so-called performance cars of the time. I never saw the appeal of the later model gen-2 F-bodies from a performance standpoint though I always thought the Camaro designs of the late 70s/early 80s were more appealing than where the Firebirds went. The snout front of the last few gen-2 Firebirds just always looked out of place to me.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was re-reading my previous post and can see how it might come across as rude to those who love and enjoy these later versions of the Gen-2 'Brids and my point wasn't to insult anyone, just voicing an opinion which was coloring my view on the price of the car in question. I too would like to know what's currently under the hood and would also like to know why the interior has apparently been messed with on such a low mile car. It is always great to see a car this old preserved in such good shape (there could be some debate on how "preserved" it really is, but anyway) and it IS being sold by a dealer who, especially in this instance, would say just about anything to sell a car.

I'd honestly be interested in this one if I was looking for that era of Firebird. It at least is being sold by a dealer I trust (but is also typically overpricing things):

https://www.restoreamusclecar.com/ve...ntiac-trans-am