THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Senior Chief

New here also but have had a lot of Pontiacs.

67 GTO 400 had a Quadrajet on 4bbl cars. I remember Milt saying he was under orders that the 67 WOULD BE faster than a 66 tripower.

QJ came out on Chevvies in 65 but were notorious for leaky bowls.

Sort of a vague memory but think my 67 GP 'vert did have an AFB.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome and great you saved the 67 GP. They are good looking cars. As far as the state patrol inspection goes it's just to verify the vin and it isn't stolen. That shouldn't be a problem but I heard they are backed up several months?

Old 06-06-2021, 03:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

SHHH... IT'S JUST SETTING THERE...!!!

Stolen from a junk yard, "nice", glad to see you got a killer deal, very cool car, great shape too.
Just a note, compression of that engine in original form would be too high for today's fuel,
though driving it around you might have already noticed any obvious detonation issues.

Great Save, Welcome to the tribe !
Frank

Old 06-06-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Star Le Mans View Post
Welcome and great you saved the 67 GP. They are good looking cars. As far as the state patrol inspection goes it's just to verify the vin and it isn't stolen. That shouldn't be a problem but I heard they are backed up several months?
I haven't really looked into it to be honest, I'm going off the paperwork I got from Pick N Pull with regards to what the car would "need" to be registerable. If it is just a VIN check then that would be super, but I figure servicing the brakes and other areas related to safety should be done anyway if the car is to be driven around it its current form. I think there's an office not too far from where I live, perhaps a phone call or a visit is in order.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
SHHH... IT'S JUST SETTING THERE...!!!

Stolen from a junk yard, "nice", glad to see you got a killer deal, very cool car, great shape too.
Just a note, compression of that engine in original form would be too high for today's fuel,
though driving it around you might have already noticed any obvious detonation issues.

Great Save, Welcome to the tribe !
Frank
Thanks Frank,

I haven't driven the car on the road just yet, but I know where you're coming from. I also have a 1969 Skylark with the Buick 350 4 Barrel with 10.25:1 compression and 92 gets the job done but under high load such as going uphill I've experienced some pinging/detonation especially on hot days. I'm sure there's solutions you guys have to work around the problem, perhaps thicker head gaskets or playing with the cam timing to lower the dynamic ratio?

Old 06-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great find Jonny. I wouldn't have passed it up either.. if saw it and had room for it. It looks pretty good aside from what you said. But remember.... any car sitting out side will have rust. even cars sitting in a garage will get a bit rusty over time. At least you're going to a tech school to learn repairing them. Best part tho is you might be able to use your GP in class and get repairs done faster and at less cost then the alternative body shop if you can't do it. Just ask your professor if it's possible. I'm sure they be more than open to the idea. Good luck and happy trails when you have it finished.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPN_GP View Post
I'm sure there's solutions you guys have to work around the problem, perhaps thicker head gaskets
or playing with the cam timing to lower the dynamic ratio?
If you have access to 92 it may be ok but similar to your Skylark under heavy loads it may ping, never a good thing.

Not sure the kinda terrain you reside in but It's a bit heavier, elevation and hilly country will obviously also play a role.

You could knock a few degrees of timing out, it kills performance but much better to detune rather than let it ping.

There are also a few other things if your going to just drive it a while, today's fuel likes to eat the older rubber products.

Introduce yourself in the street section to get more recommendations, post some pics too they love that stuff.

Once again, Welcome!
Frank

Old 06-07-2021, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool ride, look forward in seeing more of it. Enjoy the forum and the new ride. Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to Brewster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 11:17 PM
Senior Chief

Looking forward to progress on the 67
Welcome to the darkside
John L

Sent from my SM-A426B using Tapatalk

Old 06-08-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
You could knock a few degrees of timing out, it kills performance but much better to detune rather than let it ping.

Introduce yourself in the street section to get more recommendations, post some pics too they love that stuff.

Once again, Welcome!
Frank
Will do, in my area hills are pretty common so getting the car to not ping is a priority. I almost have my Buick's tune dialed to where I can drive it without it pinging uphill, some of the issues I've been working through is the distributor currently in the car has the wrong curve and the previous owner installed a Holley spreadbore instead of a Qjet so the jetting is much too rich (Although better to be too rich than too lean!).

Old 06-08-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
At least you're going to a tech school to learn repairing them. Best part tho is you might be able to use your GP in class and get repairs done faster and at less cost then the alternative body shop if you can't do it. Just ask your professor if it's possible. I'm sure they be more than open to the idea.
My teachers in the Auto program have been fantastic help with my various automotive endeavors. Unfortunately due to the pandemic situation our shop time is limited so having a project car in the shop isn't feasible, at least at the moment. I'm still in my first quarter of the program so if the situation improves perhaps my instructor will let me bring it in for some work. Regardless he's been more than happy to answer my questions and offer insight to repairs, which has been a valuable resource. I hope to have updates this summer or later in the year, it'll be a long project but I'm keen to see it through!

Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 PM

Here is my thought regarding detonation and also my solution to the problem.

My thought is >>>>> it sucks, every aspect of it.
It really does.
It limits how hard you can drive your ride.
I beats up on the mechanicals inside your motor.
I would even venture that the rattle you hear in low RPMs with a stick is beating the piss out of your manual trans.
And to summarize >>> it sucks.

My solution >>> digital timing control.
You can get it via an MSD or other ignition unit or like I did by utilizing the timing control feature on the FiTech TB.

I could dial in a fair amount of timing at the lower RPM range and get some snappy throttle response and dial back the timing once the RPMs got above 3000 where no matter what I did with the mechanical or vacuum advance was the problem range. The same could be done with weights and springs admittedly, but it is very simple just typing in the numbers to get the curve you want.

Just My opinion
JT

The Following User Says Thank You to RamblerRacer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Per the trim tag, exterior color was Tahoe Turquoise, with Turquoise interior. Beautiful combo, and definitely a "60s look".
You really scored with that car. Congrats!
I had to look that one up. Never heard of Tahoe Turquoise... Turned out to be a Ford color. In the Pontiac world, it's Mariner Turquoise.
Right about one thing though.. beautiful combo.... though l may be biased just a little ..

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 06-09-2021, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I had to look that one up. Never heard of Tahoe Turquoise... Turned out to be a Ford color. In the Pontiac world, it's Mariner Turquoise.
Right about one thing though.. beautiful combo.... though l may be biased just a little ..

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk
Ah... I should have known when it didn't "ring a bell" with me. Google's fault . Same color code as Mariner, but it seems Chevy and Olds referred to it as Tahoe as well.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 10:59 AM

Good save man, this is a great first project for a guy studying auto body. Heck even cleaning it up a little and driving it to class would be cool

The Following User Says Thank You to spank e For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 12:23 PM
Senior Chief

My 67 GP Vert was mariner turquoise.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mt.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	568025  

The Following User Says Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank e View Post
Good save man, this is a great first project for a guy studying auto body. Heck even cleaning it up a little and driving it to class would be cool
The only thing "stopping" it from being able to drive it around is the brakes, I got the car up on stands so now I'll be able to chip away at it. Once I go through the welding portion of the course I think I'm going to start attacking the rust, right now in class we are working on panel straightening.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
My 67 GP Vert was mariner turquoise.

I really really like the color, I was able to expose some parts of the paint and it looks really nice in the sunlight. Definitely goes nicely with the turquoise interior

Old 06-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome aboard, and dang, what a score! The '67 GP is my all time favorite full-size Pontiac. Great to hear that it runs good.

Do you know what heads are on it yet? There may be some things you can do to lower the compression a little and make it more pump gas friendly if you're willing to pull the heads.

I'm just up the hill from you in Burien though I will be moving North of Lake Washington later this year. It will be good to have more classic Pontiacs in this area!

The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Welcome aboard, and dang, what a score! The '67 GP is my all time favorite full-size Pontiac. Great to hear that it runs good.

Do you know what heads are on it yet? There may be some things you can do to lower the compression a little and make it more pump gas friendly if you're willing to pull the heads.

I'm just up the hill from you in Burien though I will be moving North of Lake Washington later this year. It will be good to have more classic Pontiacs in this area!
Nice! I do not know what heads are on the car, where can I look to identify them? I've met a couple Pontiac enthusiasts in my area, in fact in my neighborhood there's a guy with a '67 GTO that cruises by when the weather permits.